If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home again

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Largehearted I miss living in Europe, specifically Munich, GermanyI like to think out loud. Some of my ruminations can be found at beinganddoing.wordpress.com. I love to cook and eat, but hate to clean up. I tend to be confident in my opinions, but will change when presented with a compelling enough reason/argument. Find out more about Largehearted
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home again

Hi Everyone!
    I tolerated my ICD implant on Tuesday fairly well. For a couple of days I felt very washed out, but the pain has been minimal. Like I told a friend, “it feels like I zipped of a pair of pants that are two sizes too small.” I will take about a week off from work just to make sure I and not pushing things too much. I can already tell that as the pain subsides I reach up with my left had without thinking. I should probably use a sling just to keep me from doing that.

The EP study confirmed that I really need this device. The cardiologist stated my, “heart was easily stimulated into both V-tach and V-fib.” I was surprised to learn that I received a duel chamber device. I had understood that I would receive a single lead ICD. When I go back to see the Dr. I will ask about that. I recall reading about a study that seemed to indicate the duel chamber devices might not serve us as well as they had hoped.

I was out when they tested the device, but I can actually remember being jolted awake for a few seconds. Whatever they use to make you sleep sure made life seem like a lot of fun. I even had conversations afterward that I don’t really remember.

So tell me. When the pacing kicks in what does one feel?

Peace,
    Leon Miller
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Hi Leon,

I do not have a device, so I can not tell you what it feels like, but I just wanted to send well wishes your way and hopes for a speedy recovery.

God Bless!
    HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

Your recovery, and pacing

Hi, Leon,

Glad your surgery went well. My doctor advised a sling at first even for sleeping, so as to minimize involuntary and thoughtless movement of the arm on the affected side. As far as pacing, my EP says most people can't feel it at all. I hope that will be your experience!

Comment

Pacer

Hi Leon,

I have had a pacer for 9 years now. My first pacer was a single mode which I had for 5 years. Now I have a dual mode whch has kept my heart from racing at a fast rate. My obstruction has decreased since my dual mode pacer. Or as my wife keeps on saying it is God that is healing me.
        I really don't feel my pacer working, I just know it is doing a good job for me.
        Good Luck and may God Bless you.
        Sincerely
        Chris

Comment

Hi Leon,

I thought it was being implanted this Tuesday! I'm happy it's over for you. Both my family members have the duel chamber device. Take care & rest up!

Karen

Comment

Hi Leon,

I'm quite new to all this so i can offer no specific advice, but i did want to stop by and say hi and that i'm glad to hear everything went well for you!

Take care,

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

For the first few times I was paced I kinda felt something..nothing bad rather like a little sparl in my chest...NO pain..just odd. After a day I never felt it again.
              The pacer is likely there as a backup you will not likely yuse it much...however if you need it it is there!
              Welcome to the ICD club yeh yeh I know you would rather not have joined...but I am glad you are protected!!
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X