If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustrated

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

dennis Find out more about dennis
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    CALL Dr. Udleson... get his input...
    Short sweet and to the point...
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    doctorese

"Decondition" is doctorese for out of shape.

Leave a comment:

• Laura
    replied
    Dennis,
    You should really call Dr Udelson's office, they are very helpful. I live clear across the U.S. and when i called them they wanted me there ASAP. I also have pain similar to what you describe but they are helping me.
    And what do they mean by decondition??
    Get help NOW.

Leave a comment:

• Sarah
    replied
    Boston now

Dear Dennis,

Please call Dr. Udelstein's office right NOW.

It does not sound like you are getting the right treatment and it is highly unlikely that cardiac rehab or whatever is the right path for you.

You don't have to live with chest pain ---you need to get to the cause and you are on a very weird mix of drugs. I have never seen anyone mix plain and extended release versions like that. And mixing what you are taking is very tricky business and it sounds more like they are throwing the kitchen sink at you than anything else.

Hang in there and talk to Boston.

Let us know...

S

Leave a comment:

• dennis
    started a topic Frustrated

Frustrated

Hi everyone, I am a 50year old man,diagnosedwith HCM at age 16. I have been on many types of drug therapy over the years. Most recently in 1996 I recieved a pacemaker, later, in December 0f 2001 it was upgraded to an ICD. I am still very symptomatic; shortness of breath, chest pain and left arm pain are some of my symptoms. My cardiologist suggested that the chest pain and left arm pain are not related to my HCM. He also tells me that I do not have a gradient, so I am not a candidate for any surgery. However I feel that I dont have a gradient because it is controled by drug therapy. I am slo still on the following medications, iososorbide (120mg once daily), cardizem CD (300mg once daily), cardizem XT (120mg once daily), diovan (160mg twice daily), coumadin (10-12.5mg daily), and prozac (40mg once daily). Recently I have been taking Louastatin (20mg daily) for my cholesterol. My family and I have been through a lot over the years and I would Like to control the chest pain, but all they tell me is that I need to learn to live with it. About a year ago I went to see Dr. Udelson in Boston and I am considering calling for an appointment for an echo with them and an evaluation to discuss my options. My doctors here want to start me in a heart Rehab Clinic. They are suggesting that I may be deconditioned. Although I have been retired for aobut a year and a half, I am most certainly more physically active now that I was when I was sitting at a desk for 8-12 hours a day for 10 years.
    My biggest concern at this time is to control my chest pain. The other symptoms I will more than likely always have to live with. I would greatly appreciate and comments or suggestions.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X