If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partial disabililty

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial disabililty

Has anyone been able to go on "partial" disability? It would mean working part-time and being able to supplement with the partial disability. I don't know much about it but just in case in comes to that (not being able to physically work full-time), I'm going to get some information about what the guidelines are. I would imagine that each state may be different.... if you have any information, could you share it? Thank you!
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Partial disabililty

No experience with Disability but I would also check with Social Security - states can be a lot harder to deal with than federal (that is something I do know about).

Comment

In Mass once you get on disability they have a ticket to work program. You can work just so many hours or make a certain amount of money.. once you go over the limit or if you do manage to go over the limit for several months your disability will stop.
      My experience is that the fed also asks for reimbursement of the overage. I had a friend who was told she could work and still receive her benefits from disability and she said it did not make sense, she questioned the SSA and they reassured her .. I told her not to spend the overage... she did not listen to me and started giving gifts and going on trips. When the feds contacted her they told her she had no right to spend their money she was working and they attached her pay for $ 60,000 in future repayments and penalty fees. They told her that while someone is attempting to return to work they continue to send the SSDI.. because once you stop a claim it is virtually impossible to re-open or start it back up again. The rep that she initially spoke to misled her with inaccurate info .. the feds did not concern themselves with that, they simply enforced the rules and levied against her.

My advice: be careful and follow the rules and guidelines very carefully. They are there to help prevent fraud and offer assistance to someone who qualifies for disability expected to last longer then 6 months.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2su...I)&sid=Eeohhs2

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2te...w&csid=Eeohhs2
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

The rules do change from time to time on all programs - but you do have options.. and please remember Disability is NOT offered based upon your diagnosis - it is based upon your physical ability and limitations.
        I had one mother who was upset that her sons SSI ended at age 18 - i asked what his symptoms were.. she said he had none at all but was taking a betablocker. In other cases i have people who can not walk across the floor and are not surgical potentials... and get denied ??? its not a perfect process by any means.... Other of you have put up the case and been granted coverage with little issue....

Best wishes,
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks for the info Pam --

My only income is Social Security and I have to pay for Medicaid to pick up what Medicare doesn't - have never gotten SSDI or any other Disability so really had no idea how they worked.

Comment

Hello Cynthia,

I receive social security disability because of myasthenia gravis, not HCM. It is full time disability, but like Pam said, there is a ticket to work (I am in Illinois). You cannot earn over a certain amount or you will be penalized. I received a call from the ticket to work program about two weeks ago to work at home in customer service, but am unable to perform what they need due to various limitations. Maybe you can try to get federal disability and then go forward with the part time work. Wish I had better ideas for you.

Be well, Janet
            Believe in the goodness of mankind.

Comment

Wish I had answers ... I have been advised by my therapist, social worker and one doctor to pursue disability myself.

Seems to be a very complicated ... tricky ... process.
              Amy
              Happy wife and mother of four
              Diagnosed wit HOCM in September 2005
              Myectomy at Mayo Clinic November 7, 2005
              Pacemaker August 24, 2011

Comment

Yes, it can be a very long and demanding process. I was denied while getting evaluated for a heart transplant at Shand's. Took three years and a lawyer who made me do all the leg work to get it. Once I got to the hearing they saw all of my admits. My age and the fact I have an education really hurt me. I have SSDI and work part-time I know they say no more than 80 hours a month and no more than $700. Am also working with Vocational Rehab and they are paying for school.

Mary

Comment

SSDI has what's called SGA- Substantial Gainful Activity. It is the amount at which they consider you able to support yourself. (I am thinking its about $900 a month now but might be less.) That is GROSS income too, from earnings. if you work parttime, and keep your earnings less than should be able to keep both your earnings and SSDI. You also are entitled to a trial work period of 9 months where you can try to work and still keep your SSDI, so if its just too much, you don't have to try t get it allback again.
                  Jill

mother of Kyle, now 19 yrs old- diagnosed after 5 years and 2 years later "undiagnosed"

Comment

Working...
                  X