If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alarming News

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cooksnj Find out more about cooksnj
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarming News

A frind of mine died recently of a heart attack. Very sudden. He was 70 yrs young. When I went to the veiwing he's wife told me that he had a pocket full of tums. She said he had probaley thought he was having heart burn, when he was really having chest pains. This is what alarmed me. I suffer from chroinc acid reflux & heart burn. I take medication for it, & I have to watch what I eat. It occured to me that heart burn, & chest pains are very similar. I had never thought of this before. I asked a couple of people about this & they said alot of people who have heart attacks make this mistake. I find it hard to belive these to symptoms are that close. How or if any can you truly tell the difference? I dont want to panick every time I have a pain in my chest. Is this all very true? Maybe some people out there can share there stories. Right now I have a constant pain in the left side of my chest, to the right of my boob, I dont know how else to word that, it's not there all the time. But it's there tonight. Sometimes I have pain right in the center of my chest, towards the top of my boobs, is there a difference in thes pains? Is it me, the cold weather, normal getting old pains? How true is it that your left arm hurts when you have a heart attack? Thank you for reading this.
    \"When I\'m gone and people think of me... I want them to smile and laugh.\" Jason Caldwell

I have experienced the same symptoms that you are experiencing now. I have also experienced the numbness and tingling down my left arm. These same symptoms sent me to the hospital on Wednesday night and my troponin levels were mildly elevated, but I did NOT have a heart attack.

Then, there was the time that I just knew that I was having a heart attack, and it happened to be a really bad case of heartburn But the good news is, I had it checked out. The old saying, better safe than sorry, holds true here!

The point being, if you are experiencing chest pain - don't panic - but do have yourself checked out.

Blessings!
    HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

good news, bad news

It can be hard to tell the difference. One big difference is that women tend to have non-traditional symptoms when having a heart attack --your pain may be in your side, your back or up into your neck. We don't always have the male-pattern of chest, left arm.

The other key point is this: does it burn? Is the pain sharp or crushing or is it a patch of sore/burning? The latter tends to be heartburn.

Pay attention to what pains you have when, and this helps, too.

In my experience, men tend to be worse about getting help than women because they decide what something is or they decide nothing can be done for it. Women won't get help because they don't want to inconvenience anyone.

If your chest pains don't go away within an hour and/or antacids don't work --GET HELP!

S

Comment

I need some help! I am not sure on things right now. I just spent another night in the hospital because of elevated enzyme levels, chestpain, dizziness, and shortness of breath! My docs say that it may be an enzyme leak in which I am having microscopic infarcts. Unfortunatly I am maxed out on Verapamil 240mg AM and 240mg PM. They want to add a beta-blocker or nitrate because of my chest pain but don't think my bp will hold out. My resting bp is 90/60. Are there any hcm meds that don't affect your blood pressure?

P.S. on the heart attack issue EMS has a system we use for assessing a heart attack.It is the [b]OPQRS

[b]Onset. What were you doing when it happened?
        [b]Provocation. Anything make it better or worse?
        [b]Quality. Is it sharp, dull, and on a scale of 1-10 state pain?
        [b]Radiate. Does it go anywhere else?
        [b]Symptoms. Are you having anyother pains or problems?

And most important If the patient states

"It feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest"
        haul butt with them!

I hope this helps!

Mary S.

Comment

Mary, I thought nitro was contraindicated with HCM? Please check that out.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Nitro Is Out

Dear Mary,

Reenie is right. Nitro glyceride is contraindicated. Why don't you call the Boston gang and see what they say? That is what they are for.

Take care,

S

Comment

My chest pain ended up being my gall bladder, but it's what ended up getting me an echo the first time around. When I went to the ER with what I thought was terrible heart burn they did an ekg and thought I was having a heart attack. I could care less, I was just tired of the pain. They kept me overnight and finnally the next morning did an ultrasound and found the gall stones. I haven't had the chest pains since the removal of my gall bladder about 16 months ago.

The funny thing is I had told my ob and had seen another doctor about the pains and neither one suggested it might be my gall bladder. At least it's out now and not giving me any problems!

Amy N.

Comment

I did talk to the docs in Boston. Dr. Maron is discussing it with Dr. Udelson and Dr. Linx. They are the ones that brought the subject of nitrates up! I am waiting for their call hopefully it will be within the next day! I am feeling pretty lousy I'm getting chest pain on and off. I feel a bit light headed and I think I could sleep for the next two days! I just don't have time for this . but I guess who does. I think I need a vacation from all of this school work and the stress of trying to get healthy. Sorry for my whining I try not to do it much. but I am just really frustrated. Thanks for your understanding!

Mary S.

Comment

Sorry for my whining I try not to do it much. but I am just really frustrated.
                  This is one of the few places it is ok to whine...vent ... cry... or laugh...
                  You name it !
                  Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I have chest pain frequently - but it always ends in a belch! I've been consigning it to my ongoing battle with acid reflux. Should I be more concerned? The pain is incredibly intense, but there's no dizziness or tingling associated with it. It feels like the gas pains that usually follow surgery where the gas is looking for a place to escape...does that make sense?
                    "We come into the world and take our chances, fate is just the weight of circumstances - that's the way the lady luck dances...roll the bones." - Rush

Comment

mixed response

Dear Mary,

Oh. Interesting. THere is probably a difference between what they suggested and nitrous oxide --or maybe I'm behind on what is up with that. Have you talked to them yet? WHat is the status?

Dear Dave,

Your pain does sound suspiciously like acid reflux the way you describe. I can only recommend you pay close attention and if your chest pain becomes crushing or lasts longer than usual or is accompanied by sob, dizziness, tachycardia, etc, that you get immediate attention.

take care the both a'yuse!

S

Comment

I gave them a call this morning! I am currently waiting for a call back from Dr. Maron. My resting BP at rehab this morning was 82/60 they were not to happy with it! Well I hope I get some answers today!

Mary S.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X