If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM and Low-Carb Eating

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM and Low-Carb Eating

[HCM and Low-Carb Eating]

Author: Sue Ellen (---.gv.shawcable.net)

Date: 03-22-02 04:46

Low-carb eating has brought my cholesterol and triglycerides down, but it's hardly the typical recommended eating style for heart patients (or even to general society), is it.

I don't know why - all I did was cut out sugar and refined carbohydrates and very starchy (potatoes) or sugary (carrots) foods. I have been ridiculed and had friends and family alike be downright rude to my face over my decision to eat low-carb.

I wonder how many cardiologists would agree that it's a smart way to eat. And if it's not... what are the reasons it would not be? Higher cholesterol isn't happening - I eat things like bacon and eggs and mayo several times a week and my cholesterol is going DOWN. The low-carb proponents say this is because in the absense of simple carbs, these fats act differently (aren't stored and don't play havoc with my blood sugar/insulin levels) and can't hurt me. It certainly seems to be true. On top of better blood chemistry numbers, I also have lost 25 pounds in a few short months.

I feel like everyone wants to argue with not only the facts as presented by the low-carb community, but by my very own blood tests as well. Is there anyone else out there who is low-carb eating with HCM?

Thanks for hearing me out, sign this: Low-Carber looking for an amigo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: HCM and Low-Carb Eating]

Author: sarah beckley (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 03-22-02 16:09

Dear Sue Ellen,

Good for you! It is amazing to me how insenstitive families can be at times. I'm glad you are sticking to your guns and what works for you. I've been trying to cut my sugar intake for a while, but I'm not doing very well. I have stopped eating the nightshade family , which includes potatoes, b/c of other health concerns. My cholesterol is low despite eating bacon and eggs, too.

This isn't an area where I've done a lot of research, but your test results should make your family happy, not rude!

Anyway, I'd love to hear what other HCM patients have to say about this, too.

Sarah

Date: 03-24-02 01:32

Thanks for your reply Sarah, glad to see I have a little company. You'd think that everyone who wanted lower cholesterol and triglycerides and stable blood sugar would at least try it, or have it recommended to them before the use of drugs that from what I've read don't do much to help, not to even mention the nasty side-effects.

What I did to ease the lack of sweetness in my life (well my husband is pretty sweet, so I better say "in my FOOD" instead of in my life) was to start using a product called Splenda. It's made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar, and it stands up to heat as well, so it's really great.

I sure am glad that I'm doing something about my health that helps my heart out so much the natural way, with delicious and wholesome foods instead of drugs!

Author: Louise (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 03-27-02 15:38

Hey Sue Ellen -

I don't have HCM, my 14 yr old daughter does, but I am suffering from palpitations and such from perimenopause and I notice that all my symptoms disappear when I am following a low-carb diet. Keep up the good work! So long as you continue to be checked, you have to go with what works for you.

Author: Ronnie (---.tnt1.columbus.ms.da.uu.net)

Date: 03-27-02 18:33

I am on the low carb diet as well. I lost between 20-25 pounds in a little over a month. I am just maintaining now instead of trying to lose weight. I am back to my fighting weight so watch out. (lol) My blood pressure has actually dropped since I started the diet, I feel great also. Good luck

Author: Larry Sansone (---.nas4.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)

Date: 04-09-02 14:17

I was on the low-carb diet last year for two months. During that time I fely much better. My symptoms were lessened and I lost twenty pounds. My doctor said that I was just fine doing what I was doing, as long as I didn't lose too much too fast. Good luck to you!

Date: 04-11-02 06:02

Well I've been losing slowly. I started in Fall 2001 and have lost 25 pounds so far, and I would like to lose about another 25 and then maintain. It sure is nice to see all these positive responses!

Sometimes, when I wonder off into a low-fat diet information site, I get all scared even though my bloodwork proves to me that I'm okay. It's crazy how easy it is to be swayed by public opinion!! Especially with a giant unknown, like how the HCM is actually responding (or not) to it.

I wonder if weight loss in itself has any baring on HCM? I guess that is wishful thinking huh? My heart measurements are so obscene... I wish I could change them as easily as I am now changing my waistline measurement!!

Thanks for all replies... you people are the greatest. *HUGS*
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X