If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update STeven's Surgery

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update STeven's Surgery

[Update STeven's Surgery]

Author: Joy Stoops (---.057.popsite.net)

Date: 01-08-03 09:09

Hi Everyone.

Our 9 year old son had open heart surgery (myectomy ) and an AICD implanted on Dec 3. On Dec 6 he was discharged from the hospital. I can't believe how well he has done and can't thank the wonderful surgeons and staff at the hospital enough. They were superb.

They removed a portion of the septum apporoximately the size of an adult's pinky finger. They were able to bring the pressure gradient at rest to 0 and during contraction of the ventricle apporximately 25. We are so happy with the results .

Thanks to everyone who sent their prayers and good wishes. As far as the surgeon is concerned Steven can pretty much do what ever he wants to, since why else would we implant the AICD. The cardiiologist doesn't have quite the same attitude , so we will find a happy medium. Steven is proud to show everyone his scare now, at first he was embarrassed. Thanks again for everything. If anyone has any questions please , e-mail me .

Joy Stoops

Steven 9, HCM, AICD, Myectomy 12/02

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Update STeven's Surgery]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 01-08-03 09:19

Joy,

Glad to hear he is feeling well. I cant help but sense a little concern over his future activity, is there a problem?

I will simply say that his obstruction is gone, due to the myectomy - but he still has HCM and the ICD is there for protection. The hopes are not to have the ICD fire, but if it is needed it is there. Sports are still not recommended as he still has HCM. I may have been reading you wrong...let me know.

Best wishes,

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X