If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM can take its toll

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM can take its toll

Many of you already know this, but I will share it with the entire community today as I have surgery tomorrow. I am having a partial colectomy and a hernia repair tomorrow at Tufts.

I have been sparsely posting here and there not because I do not care,or have not been continually invested in all that goes on and all the successful myectomies, etc etc.. I have read every post everyday over the last several months and share in the triumphs.

The reason for my sparsity is I have been struggling with repeated bouts of diverticulitis and generally not feeling well with some complications from the treatments and medications . It has been decided that it is best to take out the bad part of my colon and to fix my 24 year old hernia. I got that hernia at age 33.. 8 weeks after a c-section to deliver my last child who weighed in at 11 pounds and 1/2 ounce. I was on a family day in Newport RI and fell while walking on a jetty over the ocean. On that day I broke my left arm in 2 and popped the hernia through the incision. The arm has been fixed for 24 years, I am not sure why anyone has let me keep the hernia for so long. So this will be a 2 for one surgery. If all goes well and as planned I should have minimal invasion with laparoscopic procedure for the colectomy and traditional surgery for the hernia repair. I also have to have 2 stents put into my ureters .. something they do so the colon surgeon does not accidentally cut my ureters during the surgery..I guess something that is not uncommon as they are hard to see during the surgery??
    So one team will come in from urology and then the colon surgical team. Hopefully I will be home in 4 days if all goes well and as planned.

So the toll seems bit by bit pieces of me have been compromised with how my HCM effects me.. however, tomorrow I will try to get another piece corrected and taken back.

As I close my eyes tomorrow I will be thinking of all the great things that happen here and all the great people you are here at the HCMA message board .

So I will be away .. just for a while.
    Thank you in advance for positive thoughts and well wishes.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: HCM can take its toll

Pam, I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping for the best possible outcome from your surgery.
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Dear Pam,

You are one tough cookie! Remember that! Be strong tomorrow. We will all be sending you positive energy. Wishing you a speedy recovery, and please hurry back. You will be missed!

Comment

Pam,

Thank you for sharing this with us. WOW! You have had more going on than many of us realized! You will be in my prayers as you go into surgery tomorrow. It is one of the better surgical breakthroughs that so many surgeries can be completed through laparoscopy, so much less time in the hospital, much fewer complications. God Bless.

JudyA
        Dx Dec 2005 - HOCM with gradient of 80at rest, provokable to 150. Alcohol Ablation on Dec 22, 2005.
        Echos in April 2007 shows 0 gradient at rest, but gradient of 100 on provocation

Comment

Pam - You are in our thoughts and prayers. Please ask Tim or one of your other kids to update us and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,

Cynthia
          Daughter of Father with HCM
          Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
          Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
          ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
          Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Pam,

So glad you get to have laparoscopic surgery for this. This past May I found out I had diverticulitis the hard way. In the ER and an MRI revealed a ruptured colon from diverticulitis. Thirty minutes later I was in surgery to remove the bad section of colon and put in a temporary colostomy bag. At the end of July they reversed it. Each trip was a seven day hospital stay.

You will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery!

Take care,
            Tom
            May 1993 - Diagnosed Apical HCM
            Nov 2010 - ICD

Comment

Pam,
              I'll be thinking of you.

Gordon
              Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Pam,

I wish you the very best! you have been through a lot..you are in my thoughts... take care

Cynthia
                \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Pam
                  You more than anyone here, with your personal sharing, has helped me to accept things I've struggled with the most. Good luck and you're in my thoughts and prayers.
                  John F.
                  had HCM since birth
                  'enlarged heart' identified in 96'
                  HOCM dx in 7/08
                  Myectomy 8/09
                  extended Myectomy 5/10
                  'End stage' HCM dx 8/10
                  CRT-D implanted 9/10
                  evaluated for Transplant 11/10
                  Listed for transplant 6/11

Comment

Prayers!

Leon
                    God Squad co-moderator
                    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Sending prayers and healing thoughts.

Anne

Comment

Pam,

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Very best wishes to you.
                        ICD 1/20/10
                        Myectomy 8/25/10
                        @ Johns Hopkins
                        Surgeon Duke Cameron

Comment

Many well wishes and blessings sent your way for a speedy recovery and for restoration.
                          HOCM diagnosed Mayo Clinic Aug. 2010

25 mg of atenolol.

Comment

Pam, I will be praying for you.

My ex-husband has diverticulitis. He has had his struggles with over the years. Oddly enough, when he eats fast food, he has less problems then when he eats vegetables.

In May of this year, I was in the hospital for (I'm going to go ahead and say it) a perirectal abscess. Oh that sucker hurt! I also had a UTI and was on IV antibiotics for 3 days in the hospital.

I am so sorry to hear you have more issues than just the HCM. As if that is not enough. I believe you will be much better very soon, and many prayers going up for you.

Lots of hugs.
                            49 yrs. old
                            Diagnosed at 31.
                            Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                            First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                            Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                            Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                            My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                            2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

You know my hugs and prayers are with you
                              Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                              ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                              Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                              Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Working...
                              X