[ICD or Pacemaker]

Author: Karen (---.ns.sympatico.ca)

Date: 01-03-03 13:08

This may sound like a stupid question but I see in many of your post about an ICD, is this the same as a Pacemaker? If it is not what is the difference?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: ICD or Pacemaker]

Author: Patricia wonderly (---.56.28.219.Dial1.Buffalo1.Level3.net)

Date: 01-03-03 13:37

Karen:

An ICD is an automatic cardiac defibrillator. An ICD is different than a pacemaker.

An ICD is put in place to deliver a shock when the heart is in v-tach etc. It will keep you alive in the event of cardiac arrest...which some of us are at high risk for..

A pacemaker is meant to regulate rythm on a regular basis..You do not feel a pacemaker , at least not like an ICD.

My unit is a dual chamber ICD/pacemaker. It has the capability of all these functions.

What is probably confusing, is that even single chamber ICD's have pacing capabilities. This pacing is meant to bring you back to a normal beat after being shocked.

Now that I have totally confused you. Have a nice weekend.

Author: Reenie (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 01-03-03 14:17

Karen,

Patricia is right, pacemakers solely pace the heart, meaning they control the heart rate. An ICD would be able to shock the heart back into a regular rhythm if it gets too far out of parameters. Some ICD's can also pace if they detect that you need it. My husband has a combo ICD. If his heart rate falls below the settings his electophysiologist programmed in, it will pace him to keep the heart rate up. Likewise, if he gets above a pre-programmed level, it will attempt to pace him, then shock him if the pacing doesn't do the job. Thank goodness we've never had to deal with either incident! I hope we've been able to clear this up for you a little.

Reenie

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 01-03-03 20:02

Hi,

Great answers --this is just to clarify what people say --- (and you can visit medtronic.com and guidant.com for technical info on devices.

When someone here (or usually anywhere else) says "pacemaker" --they mean the device that is controlling their heart rate. When they say "ICD," they mean a device that will shock them back to normal if they go into a dangerous heart rhythm. More and more ICDs are dual purpose, and when someone says ICD, they _may_ mean a dual device, but no one says just "pacemaker" when describing a dual device (well, hardly anyone).

Ok, that was confusing!!

S

Author: Heather (65.247.157.---)

Date: 01-04-03 05:53

My dr. referred to my pacer/ICD as a PCD........what does this refer to? I assume it stands for something.........

Heather

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 01-04-03 06:14

Heather,

Medtronic, a maker of ICDs, has trademarked a name for one of it's ICDs as "PCD." This is a dual ICD/packemaker device.

Sarah