If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD or Pacemaker

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICD or Pacemaker

[ICD or Pacemaker]

Author: Karen (---.ns.sympatico.ca)

Date: 01-03-03 13:08

This may sound like a stupid question but I see in many of your post about an ICD, is this the same as a Pacemaker? If it is not what is the difference?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: ICD or Pacemaker]

Author: Patricia wonderly (---.56.28.219.Dial1.Buffalo1.Level3.net)

Date: 01-03-03 13:37

Karen:

An ICD is an automatic cardiac defibrillator. An ICD is different than a pacemaker.

An ICD is put in place to deliver a shock when the heart is in v-tach etc. It will keep you alive in the event of cardiac arrest...which some of us are at high risk for..

A pacemaker is meant to regulate rythm on a regular basis..You do not feel a pacemaker , at least not like an ICD.

My unit is a dual chamber ICD/pacemaker. It has the capability of all these functions.

What is probably confusing, is that even single chamber ICD's have pacing capabilities. This pacing is meant to bring you back to a normal beat after being shocked.

Now that I have totally confused you. Have a nice weekend.

Author: Reenie (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 01-03-03 14:17

Karen,

Patricia is right, pacemakers solely pace the heart, meaning they control the heart rate. An ICD would be able to shock the heart back into a regular rhythm if it gets too far out of parameters. Some ICD's can also pace if they detect that you need it. My husband has a combo ICD. If his heart rate falls below the settings his electophysiologist programmed in, it will pace him to keep the heart rate up. Likewise, if he gets above a pre-programmed level, it will attempt to pace him, then shock him if the pacing doesn't do the job. Thank goodness we've never had to deal with either incident! I hope we've been able to clear this up for you a little.

Reenie

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 01-03-03 20:02

Hi,

Great answers --this is just to clarify what people say --- (and you can visit medtronic.com and guidant.com for technical info on devices.

When someone here (or usually anywhere else) says "pacemaker" --they mean the device that is controlling their heart rate. When they say "ICD," they mean a device that will shock them back to normal if they go into a dangerous heart rhythm. More and more ICDs are dual purpose, and when someone says ICD, they _may_ mean a dual device, but no one says just "pacemaker" when describing a dual device (well, hardly anyone).

Ok, that was confusing!!

S

Author: Heather (65.247.157.---)

Date: 01-04-03 05:53

My dr. referred to my pacer/ICD as a PCD........what does this refer to? I assume it stands for something.........

Heather

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 01-04-03 06:14

Heather,

Medtronic, a maker of ICDs, has trademarked a name for one of it's ICDs as "PCD." This is a dual ICD/packemaker device.

Sarah
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X