If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical Aler Bracelet

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jab3428 HCM Diagnosed 2006, Birthdate 3/2/1983 Find out more about jab3428
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Aler Bracelet

I am 27 years old with HCM and an implanted ICD. I am pressured by loved ones to where a Medical alert band. Is it common for HCM patient to where these? What engavement do you put on the necklace, bracelet, etc?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Adam

Re: Medical Aler Bracelet

Hi Adam,
    I have a medical alert bracelet from MedicAlert....mine says the following:

No nitrogylcerin
    ICD
    No MRI
    Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

I like the MedicAlert bracelets because they have a number emergency personnel can call should it ever be needed, and get all of my information, allergies, medical conditions, my cardiologist's name and number, etc. I think many HCM people wear them, especially those of us with ICD's.

Take care,
    Kaye

Comment

Hi Adam

I've tried several brands of med alert bracelets but it wasn't becoming a habit to wear everyday because they were uncomfortable and not my style. Now, I wear one from Road ID (Elite model) and it's very comfortable, after a few months it's a habit to put it on daily. It's made out of rubber and stainless steal.
      http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

My Name/1977 (birth year)
      Defribulator Implant (I've asked local EMTs, they don't know what ICD means!)
      Hypertr.Cardiomyopathy
      No Nitroglycerin. No MRI
      Beta Blocked [my hcm dr's info]
      [my husband's name & phone #]

Jen
      Diagnosed during pregnancy age 30, July 2007
      2 mutated genes found in Feb 2009
      ICD Nov 12, 2009
      2 daughters born in '07 & '09. Normal EKGs.
      No known family history of HCM
      In 1995, at age 18, an echo for a misdiagnosed mvp showed HCM but it went unnoticed.
      Still jog and feel no symptoms on most days.

Comment

I wear one from Medic-Alert. I never bother to take it off. It has my basic info and an ID number. When they call in they can get all the details of meds, device serial number etc.

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Re: Medical Alert Bracelet

I have had a MedicAlert bracelet for years. I used to wear it when I traveled. Now just keep it hanging from my keyring since my keys are always in my pocket when I am out of the house. MedicAlert also provides a wallet card with the same information. So I figure between the two, some will learn my condition. At a minimum, I suggest that you carry information about your condition, emergency contact information, and the phone number of your cardiologist in your wallet.
          Mark
          Diagnosed with HOCM 2/1999 (at age 44)
          Myectomy @ Cleveland Clinic 11/4/2009

Comment

Thanks for the insight everyone!!!

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by HOCMark View Post
              I have had a MedicAlert bracelet for years. I used to wear it when I traveled. Now just keep it hanging from my keyring since my keys are always in my pocket when I am out of the house.
              do you think they're going to be looking for your keys in an emergency?

I wonder if they'd even look in your wallet, without seeing a prompt from a bracelet or necklace?

I don't know...just askin'. never saw a tv-drama where the rescuers exclaimed, while approaching an unconscious victim, "quick! check his key chain!"
              Obviously...I watch too much TV.
              dx'd HCM @age24, (1989) |Gene + |no family history

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                do you think they're going to be looking for your keys in an emergency?

I wonder if they'd even look in your wallet, without seeing a prompt from a bracelet or necklace?

I don't know...just askin'. never saw a tv-drama where the rescuers exclaimed, while approaching an unconscious victim, "quick! check his key chain!"
                Obviously...I watch too much TV.
                Good question, Chuck! I guess I am thinking that an EMT would check my pockets and wallet for ID and they would find the MedicAlert info. Maybe we have to get the TV EMT's to check for ID! Or, maybe I need a tattoo alongside my myectomy scar that says "In case of emergency, call 1-800-Cleveland-Clinic"
                Mark
                Diagnosed with HOCM 2/1999 (at age 44)
                Myectomy @ Cleveland Clinic 11/4/2009

Comment

As an Ex-EMT we are trained to check neck, wrist and ankle for medic alert. TBH we don't care really who you are until after you are alert and okay. So, we rarely look in your wallet. Also, some wonderful people have claimed that EMTs stole their money etc when going through the wallet so it is usually considered taboo. At least in the Central Florida area.

I always wear my plain medic alert bracelet on my wrist at all times. Only time it comes off is for surgery. I also have an electronic dog tag that I wear esp when on the moto that has all of my improtant info including scans of my EKG blood work etc... I tried the med alert people and my information just changes so much it was impossible to keep it accurate so with e-dog tag I am able to pop it into the usb drive and update it myself.

I'm actually thinking about picking up one of these. Just don't know how good it will do in the rain being that I occasionaly get caught in the Florida downpours on my motorcycle.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...sku=sku6015456

Mary

Comment

let me ask you, then: Is it safe to assume that one of the first things you go after is the left wrist, to check a pulse? as such, if there was a medic-alert tag there, with no other info, would that then prompt you to go for the wallet, for more info?
                    I was thinking of going for one of those tags that can be attached to a watch band, near the buckle or on the clasp itself. The idea is for it to be inconspicuous, except to those who actually need to see it.

{ps: I'm going in to see Dr. M tomorrow!}
                    dx'd HCM @age24, (1989) |Gene + |no family history

Comment

Unfortunately, inconspicious is just that. If I don't see it right off the bat I'm not gonna spend two or three minutes searching for something that may or may not even be there. If you have a bracelet and there is no info on it I would more than likely be prompted to look in your wallet.

I know on my bracelet I also have on it see wallet card. Also, on my car I have a card on the inside of the windshield that says life saver it shows from the outside so fire fighters can see it if there is an accident. It is a bifold card that also has my important info on it. I really wish I could find a way to apply one on my motorcycle but it is not waterproof.

Mary

Comment

I am not sure I am allowed to post this but I have seen this type of bracelet on many sites - I Googled "Medical Alert Jewelry"

http://www.americanmedical-id.com/ma...scrollerpage=9

Hope it is of help to some of you.

Comment

Working...
                        X