If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy Feeling in Chest

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Feeling in Chest

[Heavy Feeling in Chest]

Author: Reenie (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 01-02-03 08:46

Hi. I know that many of you have described having heaviness in your chests. My husband has that sometimes too and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what causes it and what can be done about it. His is usually, but not always, around bedtime when he lays ton. Any thoughts or ideas?

Reenie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Heavy Feeling in Chest]

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 01-02-03 08:51

R

He should try sleeping propped up on an extra pillow or two, he may get more air that way. I think mine is due to lack of oxygen, basically.

S

Author: connie (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 01-03-03 19:34

Hi Reenie

My husband put wood blocks under the head of our bed raising it about 4 to 6 inches. It did wonders for me and the heavieness in my chest. It also helped his snoring.

But there are times when I have those tight chested breathing spells that only sitting up until it passes helps. I rarely sleep on my right side as it seems to make breathing worse. I have never been told what causes the breathing spells. Does any one know?.............connie

Date: 01-03-03 19:49

Thanks, Connie, and S of course! I will have him prop up with pillows. He did ask which side he should sleep on and I told him right. Bad me. I can't put my bed up on blocks as I have a water bed. But the extra pillows might help. I'll tell him all you've said.

Reenie

Author: Sarah B--Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 01-03-03 19:53

R

If you don't already, you may want to get a water bed that has that foam insert to make it a little firmer.

S

Date: 01-03-03 19:56

S,

Didn't think about that. Will consider it when we move again. Thanks.

R

Author: faith (---.214.109.25.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)

Date: 01-04-03 02:46

Connie, I have the tight chest breathing spells, too. I cannot lie down but must be either standing or, if I'm fading out, sitting in order to get through them. This is my primary symptom, if I had to rate them. Any suggestions? Faith

Date: 01-04-03 16:33

Hi Faith.......I cant think of any thing that helps them pass. In fact Im having one right now....I couldent concentrate on watching a movie w/ my daughter and her friend so I came to the computer. It feels like I cant get enough air down in my lungs and my left arm and shoulder hurts. I t will pass sooner or later. It always varies on how long it lasts. Some days I go for days and never have a spell..then BAM!!! there it is for no reason. Some are lite and some are very bad.

There is no way I could lay down when this happens. And like you...sometime I have to stand and wander around around. I know this is a symptom of HCM, as I have been to 2 Pulmonary Doctors and I have been cleared of any and all common lung disorders. No asthma, and no sign emphysima(spelling?)....so just another good ole HCM gift!!

If anyone has any hints on any remedies for this problem let me know.

By the way Faith...are you obstructed...HOCM........connie

Author: faith (---.30.178.143.Dial.Boston1.Level3.net)

Date: 01-05-03 03:17

Connie, I am not obstructed. I, too, have been cleared of lung disorders. I seldom have light spells, mostly severe. I have about three seconds warning, and I stop anything and everything. (Not great when crossing streets, but...) I could not move if I wanted to. I cannot wander around but must freeze in place. If I am beginning to fade out (sounds dim, cloudy vision) I try to sit, but only because I have trained myself to. These episodes are absolutely terrifying. Faith

Author: karla (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 01-05-03 04:08

Hi, Connie -

My husband has HCM - although his is "apical" - at the tip of his heart. He has the same complaint of 'not getting enough air"...and, like you, he can go for awhile and not have any episodes and then it just hits him.

He also complains of feeling weak all over, with a 'heavyness' in his legs in addition to his chest with chest pains in his shoulder & arm, too.

Strangely enough, when he told Dr. Lever (HCM speciailist in Cleveland) about his 'heavyness' chest pains, the doctor told him he didn't think it was due to his heart. I found that peculiar, since I have seen postings similar to yours with the same complaint.

Has your doctor confirmed that it is indeed a symptom of HCM?

I'm sorry I have no remedies to offer other than the ones already listed.

Karla

Date: 01-05-03 09:23

Hi Karla

No I have never been told directly that it was a symptom of HCM, although Dr. Neilsen @ MUSC listened to all my complaints and stated he believed it was all related to HCM. Its been going on for about 2 yrs. There are so many contridictions about HCM and symptoms that vary from person to person. Also from doctor to doctor. One says yes this is HCM and one says no. For example the pain in my upper left chest..the dull , pinch ache....I was told by one Cardiologist it was just my IHSS symptom (he wouldent say HCM) , then the second one wouldent commit at all to it, then the last told me that the ache was not related at all to my IHSS (he wouldent call it HCM either) ..but was a muscular neck or chest problem,,,and even ask me if I had ever injured my neck? Of course this was the Cardioligist whom dident know squat about HCM and dident want to learn anything about it. I gave him my $25.00 HCM book to look over and he put it out in the lobby "For the patients to read" and sombody took it. He never read it.

Its awful funny to me that there are a lot of HCM patients who have very similar symptoms that susposedly < and i quote... are not related to IHSS. According to the experts. AH well not worth getting worked up over. We live and we learn.

connie

Author: Mary S. (---.net306.fl.sprint-hsd.net)

Date: 01-05-03 13:28

Those symptoms I know all to well! I have been admitted 15 times to the hospital for it. My last was on christmas day. I was having such a hard time breathing that I could only do a yes or no question by squeezing my friends hand. My troponin levels seem to always rise when this happens. It is very depressing getting taken away from work by an ambulance. The fire department knows me on a first name basis! I can't get in to my local cardiologist until February so I am going to give Dr. Udelson in Boston a call because I am still feeling very fatigued and my hands are like icecicles. I just wished someone had some answers. Dr. Udelson did say these episodes were heart related.

mary S.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X