If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to Cleveland

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Cleveland

[Going to Cleveland]

Author: Bobby (---.tnt3.corydon.in.da.uu.net)

Date: 12-31-02 11:29

Hi.

Just wanted to to say I am going to Cleveland Feb 19 2003.To see Dr.Lever.I would like to go sooner cause I need help NOW I'M GOING CRAZY. Everytime my heart starts tripping I'm thinking oh my GOD PLEASE NOT NOW! So I hope I can hold on till then and for many yrs to come I PREY that for us all! How or what all do I need to get ready?

Bobby

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Going to Cleveland]

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 12-31-02 11:44

Dear Bobby,

Most HCMers live a long, full life. Truly. Just keep breathing!!! Nice and slow. It actually does help a lot to breath deep and slow.

As for the appointment, I'm VERY glad you are going to CCF. They rock! You can search this board for instances of "Dr. Lever" and every one will have a good thing to say.

Order all of your records, including any echo tapes, sent to his office. Then write down every single question, big or small, and take it with you.

If you have a very bad episode before then, call them and see if they can push up your appointment.

Happy new year,

S

Author: Bobby (---.tnt3.corydon.in.da.uu.net)

Date: 12-31-02 13:19

Thank you. right now my heart rate is anywhere from 54 to 60.And thats not normal for me.And my palpatations are different.

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 12-31-02 13:26

Dear Bobby,

If your heart rate gets any lower, call your doctor asap. 60 is the low end of normal and 50 is too low.

You may want to call Dr. Lever's office and let them know your situation and tell them what meds you are on. They may be able to help you now. But I believe in "you don't ask, you don't get" and I know your current doctor is less than helpful, so it is worth a try.

S

Author: Robert Hartwell (---.focal6.interaccess.com)

Date: 01-01-03 09:53

Bobby,

In addition to what Sarah said above, about records and questions, sit down at home with a pad of paper and write out notes on your experiences with respect to your conditions. For example, and incidence of blackout? Note how bad, what conditions did it occur, how often, etc, etc. When you go to CCF, you will meet with a nurse who will want to take a medical history. You should be complete as possible and it is difficult to think on the spot.

Good Luck

Bob Hartwell

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 01-02-03 04:21

Bob...good advise...

Bobby... one of the most important things I have learned living with HCM is to stay calm during symptoms. I know this is going to sound really strange but this is how I look at it...

Step one - Symptom...step two - OH no this is not good - Step three - lay down, calm down and breath Step four get up and get on with life.

I use to have a different step 3 which was ...PANIC... That did no good what so ever... and for over 22 years I have gotten to step 4 each time (even when Panic was step 3! but I recover faster and feel more in control with the lay down calm down and breath approach

It is very important to tell your docs EVERY symptom you feel even if it sounds silly. Good risk evaluation is the key and good data helps the doc and you make good choices!

So Bobby... Breath and relax and know your heading in the right direction.

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X