If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

out of sinc

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• out of sinc

[out of sinc]

Author: DENNIS J.BASSETT (---.ts07.qui.ma.net1plus.com)

Date: 12-21-02 08:57

Hi everyone, I just had my ICD checked the other day,they told me i have a poor connection with one of my leads,and they would need to increase voltage for know and fix it within a month. Anyone ever had this happen and I wonder what caused it.I,m not feeling very well either. thank you for any input Dennis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: out of sinc]

Author: Linda, Bd of Directors (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 12-21-02 09:53

Ask the doctor for more info. Ask if the "fix it" will involve a lead replacement. Also, make sure your doctor knows you are not feeling well and and ask if it is related to the ICD "poor connection". You didn't say if you are paced or if the device is serving as only an ICD with backup pacer. Increasing the voltage will decrease the life of the battery, but may be insignificant if it is fixed within the month. Ask about this also. Hope these questions will help you get the info you need. Sometimes asking a few questions will open the door for a much more involved conversation with you doctor, and a whole lot more info! Best wishes, keep us posted. Linda

Author: DENNIS J.BASSETT (---.ts11.qui.ma.net1plus.com)

Date: 12-21-02 11:54

I,m sorry I should have said that I am 100% paced. And yes, they will be replacing a lead, but I don,t know which one.Linda, Bd of Directors wrote:

>

> Ask the doctor for more info. Ask if the "fix it" will

> involve a lead replacement. Also, make sure your doctor

> knows you are not feeling well and and ask if it is related

> to the ICD "poor connection". You didn't say if you are

> paced or if the device is serving as only an ICD with backup

> pacer. Increasing the voltage will decrease the life of the

> battery, but may be insignificant if it is fixed within the

> month. Ask about this also. Hope these questions will help

> you get the info you need. Sometimes asking a few questions

> will open the door for a much more involved conversation with

> you doctor, and a whole lot more info! Best wishes, keep us

> posted. Linda

Author: Linda, Bd of Directors (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 12-21-02 15:30

Technology is wonderful and amazing, but there is always the chance for problems such as you are experiencing. This is one reason for frequent checks. In your case, you have learned about the problem and will have it corrected in a timely fashion. A damaged lead is not unusual, but obviously is not what one would hope for. This is the reason for precautions in activities. Overstretching too early after insertion of the device, an injury to the chest, etc., are possible causes for lead damage. You probably never will know the actual cause of your lead problem, but the important thing is that it will be fixed. Report to your doctor about the symptoms you are having that are making you not feel well. We'll be waiting to hear progress reports. Dennis, are you new to the message board? If so, welcome and think about contacting Lisa in the HCMA office for further info. Linda

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 12-22-02 07:02

Dennis, are you 100% pacer dependant ..or pacing 100% of the time?

Sounds like splitting hairs but is really much different.

Lisa

Author: Amelia Haynes (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 12-22-02 09:21

Dennis, the following is not going to solve anything for you but maybe will encourage you to get answers from your cardiologists. Within 60 days after the implantation of my pacemaker - no ICD - for complete heart block, and this was 5 years ago, they told me that one of the leads was bad but they would just turn up the current to handle the problem until the time came for replacement of the entire unit. Since I am 100% dependent the time would be shortened due to the heavy use. Well, like you, I did not feel well and I complained and complained again for two years but no one did anything until I went to Cleveland for some advice. Dr. Lever said "I want that pacemaker checked." They found a deficient pacemaker and Dr. Bruce Wilkoff proceeded to "replace the lead wires" but to everyone's surprise it was not the wires but the pulse generator that was completely disfunctional. Good luck.

Amelia Haynes
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X