If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE

[UPDATE]

Author: Nicole (---.dslgw2.brbn.qwest.net)

Date: 12-19-02 11:09

Thank you to all that replied to my last thread all the info and support helped so much. I couldn't see a cardiologist through the Navy right away because they wanted me to see a regular MD first and then get referred if he thought I needed it. He listened for a murmmer and said it was negative and then they did an EKG which came back normal. He didn't recommend further testing but said if I wanted he would consult with the cardiology and get their opinion of my situation. I said yes I would like him to do that considering my history with heart palpitations and fainting as a child. So I'm waiting to hear from him. What is everyone elses assesment of this situation? Do you think I should press for an ECHO and a Stress Test even if he tells me they think I'm fine? I just want to be sure so I don't do anything that could jepordise my health.

-Nicole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: UPDATE]

Author: Glen (65.247.42.---)

Date: 12-19-02 11:25

Nicole, press for the echo, those things he looked at don't mean anything with HCM and can look normal to a non-HCM cardiologist never mind a regular MD.

I went to 4 cardiologists, 3 said there was no murmur and my EKG was not abnormal enough to worry about.

You have to have the echo which is the definative test for HCM.

Good luck and stay well.

Glen

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 12-19-02 11:40

Dear Nicole,

Most people with HCM DO NOT have a murmur. Also, most of us have normal ECGs as well. In fact, the vast majority of us are this way. This is why athletes die on the field---because they look and sound normal.

Do NOT rest until you have an echo and request a copy of it for yourself!!! A stress test is important, too, since you have a history of fainting.

Take care and keep us posted.

S

Author: Nicole (---.dslgw2.brbn.qwest.net)

Date: 12-19-02 12:22

Thanks you guys this is such good info to have. Now I definitly won't feel like a hypocondriac when I talk to the doc about scheduling these tests. Thank you for renewing my resolve.

-Nicole

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 12-19-02 13:27

Nicole - Please get the echo - then you will know for sure. Best of luck!

Lisa

Author: Amy N. (---.tnt3.seymour.in.da.uu.net)

Date: 12-19-02 19:52

Nicole,

Get the echo. Do you have children? They should have echo's too. You're doing the right thing in educating yourself and finding out what you need. This is a great place to get the support you need. Sometimes it's difficult to question a doctor or ask for tests - after all they're the doctors. Unfortuantly quite a few doctors don't know/have the most up to date into on hcm.

Good Luck,

Amy N.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
X