[Stress Test]

Author: Jason (---.ushwy1.com)

Date: 12-13-02 18:12

Hello, on monday I go to have my first stress test. I was wondering if any body could tell me what to ask for, report wise ETC. ETC. I'll be going to the same cardio. Dr. who handed me a copy of my echo report not filled out properly, & with things you couldn't even read. I would like to tell him what I want to see before the test so this time he can write it down. Lisa I was hoping to receive a packet by now, so that maybe it would help me out a little. What I wanna do, now that your all caught up on your e-mails and phone calls is join the HCMA. I'll mail you a check. Thank you to all who respond.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Stress Test]

Author: Board Moderator (Sarah Beckley (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 12-13-02 20:43

Dear Jason,

You want to know what your blood pressure does every step of the way and your peak heart rate. Abnormal blood pressure responses can be a risk factor for sudden death. You want a very normal, standard rise and fall in the right times and places. There are a few other things I think, but I don't know what they are off the top of my head.

I've only had one stress test ever --the Mayo tried to do one on me (which would have been number 2) but I was so miserable from the equipment and the prep work (have you ever had your skin sanded and then washed with alcohol?) that I couldn't do the test. I don't think that level of contact is usually attempted anywhere else.

Let us know how it goes and I'll find out what else you need to know.

S

Author: karen (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 12-14-02 05:34

Hi Jason,

The doctor will also be watching your heart rhythm and rate along with your blood pressure. You can also ask them if they noted any premature beats/arrhythmia during exercise or immediately following.

Let us know how it goes....prepare to sweat!

Author: Pat (---.d00832.dlup.digitaldune.net)

Date: 12-14-02 17:36

Dear Jason,

Well, I've had a bunch of them. Let's see what I can add for you. First, there are at least two different stress tests using exercise. The most common is the stress EKG, usually done with a treadmill, a standard protocol (Bruce) of increasing speed and slope to the track. You continue until you call a stop to it or until the team decides you should stop. On that one, they are watching your EKG, assessing your blood pressure, & pulse. After finishing it, the physician can tell you about the electrical conduction patterns in your heart as well as your pulse & blood pressure response to the demand. Most importantly, the cardiologist can compare your body's response to the "normal" response for individuals of your gender and age. If there are deviations in any of the measures from the normal, the physician should be looking to evaluate you further.

The other stress test I know of is the stress echo. In this one you might exercise with a bicycle-type set-up or with the treadmill. They will monitor EKG, blood pressure, pulse rates, but are most interested in your echocardiogram and what it shows about how your heart muscle, chambers, and valves respond to the exercise demands.

Much of the test print-out for both is provided by the technicians. I've never had difficulty reading the writing of any of them (I usually request a copy for myself), but the cardiologists usually dictate a summary of their findings. In my own experience this summary is typed and is the easiest source of understandable information for me to request. I always tell them I need it to refer to and re-read so I can come to understand the results and what they mean for me--which is true. I forget a lot of what is said at the time I talk with the doctor!

I hope this test provides you with useful information and the doctor provides you with a more satisfying report. Take care of yourself,

Pat

Author: Jason (---.ushwy1.com)

Date: 12-14-02 19:13

Thanks to everyone. I will be sure to ask for copies & on my next echo I will request that it be done properly. Thank you. Does a stress test tell you alot about what kinda condition my HCM heart is like?

Author: Board Moderator (Sarah Beckley (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 12-15-02 11:20

Jason,

The stress test is designed to see what your heart does in response to exercise. How you feel every day and how much you are able to do is a bigger clue as to how you are. The stress test gives the doctors the statistics they need to know what is probably going on when they aren't around.

It is a piece in a big puzzle of tests and your symptoms.

take care,

S