If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALCOHOL SEPTAL ABLATION

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALCOHOL SEPTAL ABLATION

[ALCOHOL SEPTAL ABLATION]

Author: CONNIE (---.direcpc.com)

Date: 12-09-02 11:40

Hi All.... As the time draws near for my procedure, I was going to ask if there are any out there who have had this done and would be willing to share their stories of personal experiences, step by step details, ect.....just things that might answer some questions that the doctor and staff cant answer, since they personally havent had it done. Im a little afraid and nervous and would appreciate any and all info. Thanks so much..........Connie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: ALCOHOL SEPTAL ABLATION]

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 12-09-02 11:48

Dear Connie,

Use the Search link at the top of the board to find all the ablation posts --many are about people's experiences.

Who is doing the procedure?

S

Author: Priscilla (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 12-09-02 16:36

Hi Connie, I had the alcohol ablation done in Oct of 2001,if you would like to write to me I would be glad to share my story with you.Priscilla

Author: connie (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 12-09-02 17:03

Hi Sarah...........Dr. Christopher Neilsen at MUSC in Charleston. Connie

Author: Charlie (61.208.178.---)

Date: 12-11-02 23:24

Excellent detailed story in Esquire Magazine:

http://www.esquire.com/features/arti...fe_pete_1.html

Regards,

Charlie

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 12-12-02 06:25

The story in esquire is a little hard to compare - the procedure was done overseas and the details in how the procedure is done in the USA is slightly different. Also please remember this is highly variable and not all will respond the same way. Some may have poor out comes others very good. To know who is going to do well is a matter of proper patient selection.

The HCMA suggests a second opinion from a center that can offer both ablation and myectomy prior to making a choice. This is your heart...be careful.

Lisa

Author: Erica Stolzenberg (---.biz.dsl.gtei.net)

Date: 12-12-02 07:48

Hi Connie. Yesterday was Dad's "30 day Anniversary date" from his ablation. He is doing pretty well. His blood pressure has been very high since 11/11 but he is not the calmest person either. Some of it could be from the stop/decrease (?) in meds and some of it is due to his not so normal German temper! : )

His local cardiologist adjusted his meds and his blood pressure is almost back where they would like to see it. He is doing well with his ICD, too ... he met with his EP doctor here in NC yesterday morning who said he is healing well and in one more month he will be able to raise his left arm all the way. Aside from his blood pressure increasing he is doing rather well. He is walking 1.0+ miles again without needing to take breaks, he doesn't complain from SOB, Mom said he is sleeping through the night better than he did pre-ablation, he doesn't complain from angina, he doesn't complain from heart burn after meals like he did before, he has managed to lose some weight, color has returned to his face, and he is more positive (mentally and emotionally) since the ablation.

I mentioned this posting you left and he said he would love to share his experience with you in detail via phone call. If you wish to speak with him personally, please send me an email to [email protected] and I will provide you personally with his contact information. He has received many phone calls from members from this board and THANK YOU to those of you who have spoken with him! You touched him more than you will ever know with your thoughtfulness and sincerity!

Wishing you and yours a Happy & Healthy upcoming holiday season and New Year - 2003!!! ~ Erica

Author: John (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)

Date: 12-23-02 13:18

Connie,

I had an alcohol septal ablation performed in July 2001. Within a few short weeks, I felt remarkably better. Since that time I have had a couple of follow up stress tests and doppler echos done. All reports are that my heart has slimmed down, to a much more normal size, and the procedure was a complete success.

I had my ablation performed at Loyola Medical Center in Maywood, Illinois; a suburb of Chicago. It was performed by Dr. Leya.

I now exercise regularly, which is something I could not do for the last few years before this procedure. I feel better than I have in years.

Good luck, and I hope all goes well with you.

John

Author: John (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)

Date: 12-23-02 13:18

Connie,

I had an alcohol septal ablation performed in July 2001. Within a few short weeks, I felt remarkably better. Since that time I have had a couple of follow up stress tests and doppler echos done. All reports are that my heart has slimmed down, to a much more normal size, and the procedure was a complete success.

I had my ablation performed at Loyola Medical Center in Maywood, Illinois; a suburb of Chicago. It was performed by Dr. Leya.

I now exercise regularly, which is something I could not do for the last few years before this procedure. I feel better than I have in years.

Good luck, and I hope all goes well with you.

John
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X