If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM and Shellfish Allergy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM and Shellfish Allergy

[HCM and Shellfish Allergy]

Author: Brody (218.145.25.---)

Date: 12-06-02 19:54

My son, Lee recently was diagnosed with HCM and is on 50 mg. Atenolol. This summer he also developed an allergic reaction to shellfish after a dinner of crab, shrimp and rock lobster. The doctors have provided him with Epinephrin auto-injectors for this condition. He loves shrimp and now he has not only had to give up cross-country running, limit his physical activities including martial arts (11 years), constant shortness of breath, fatigue/drowsiness; he also has to give up one of his favorite foods!

Two days ago while participating in a drama activity near Tokyo, he had another anaphalactic reaction. He had ordered chicken, but the food must have been prepared with some shellfish that he was not aware of. He broke out in hives/rash and was sitting with the autoinjector when his teacher found him. They took him to the doctor how was going to give him a shot of Benedril, but Lee told him that he was on Atenolol and concerned about the interaction. They decided to wait and the hives/rash subsided.

Does anyone else have or have a realative who has similar problems. We are scheduled to see a pulmonologist the 27th for the asthema/shortness of breath and see what can be done for that. I there anything we need to know about the Epipen autoinjector with use of Atenolol, and what meds can be used for an anaphalactic reaction should shellfish be unknowingly be consumed? Thank you all, especially Sarah and Lisa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: HCM and Shellfish Allergy]

Author: Cindy Hughes (63.168.198.---)

Date: 12-08-02 08:13

I don't know anything about the interaction of epi with atenolol but I have always been told that with HCM, you absolutely need to avoid epinephrine. I'd say if he/she doesn't already, the Cardio needs to know about the Epipen.

Author: Sarah B. -Board Moderator (---.dsl.chi.megapath.net)

Date: 12-08-02 09:47

Hi

I take Benedryl and a betablocker ALL THE TIME. It is the epinephrine that can cause more problems. Obviously, if he can't breath, then he would need some epi, but you definitely need to be talking to the cardiologist about this. I am allergic to lots of things and I take 80 mgs of nadolol and a benedryl with no ill effects. 1 drixoral, however, am I going to be listening to my arrhythmia all night.

S

Author: Blaine B (---.sc.charter.com)

Date: 12-08-02 16:34

FYI! Good advice to talk to your cardio!

From www.drugs.com:

Who should not use epinephrine injection?

• Before an emergency occurs, talk to your doctor about using epinephrine injection if you

· have heart disease or high blood pressure,

· take medicines to treat a heart condition,

· have diabetes, or

· have thyroid problems.

• You may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 12-10-02 10:54

You are going to have to talk to the doctor. This is not that easy as there maybe a true NEED for the epi even if it is bad for his heart... you will have to talk to the dr and set up a plan. Benedryl has always been fine for me...believe it or not I have an alergy to Tylenol! I took some the other day (thought it was motrin!!) the benedryl cleared the hives in a few minutes but I did feel like I was drunk for the next few hours (thats on 25 mg of benedryl!)

Please be careful and if you need any help let us know, I can check with some of our advisors for you.

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X