If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pounding

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pounding

[pounding]

Author: DENNIS J.BASSETT (---.ts13.qui.ma.net1plus.com)

Date: 12-06-02 17:57

I,ve been living with HCM for most of my life. I,m very symptomatic with shortness of breath, fatigue,and chest pain. I,ve been a lot of meds all of my life, and have an ICD. I,m 100% paced with my pulse set at 60 beats per min. at rest.My concern at this time is I hear my pulse in my head every time I try to relax or rest my head on a pillow.Is this normal, and does anyone else experience this symptom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: pounding]

Author: Matt (---.disney.com)

Date: 12-06-02 18:40

Dennis,

My symptoms are very similar to yours. I've been living with HCM my whole life too, had a myectony at 20 and an ICD implanted just this year (39 now). Only paced with the ICD when my rate gets lower than 60. For years I haven't been able to sleep and one of the major reasons is what you describe about feeling your pulse in your head. I begged and begged and was finally prescribed sleeping pills (Ambien) which has relaxed me a little so the poundings are not as bad. Not gone completely but it helps a lot. I was reluctant to ask for them for months/years because that's just what I needed - another medication. I'm so glad I finally did.

Matt

Author: connie (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 12-06-02 18:52

Hi Dennis,

I experience the same thing, especially at night when I lay down or when I get quite. I too am very symptomatic....chest pain, dizzy spells, near fainting, swelling hands and feet, asthma type symptoms...ect.....I have been living with these symptoms for about 3 years, it was only a few months ago it was given a name, when I switched Cardiologist's. I take Tiazac 300mg 1 a day, and Toprol XL 100mg 1 a day.....I am scheduled the 2nd week in Jan for a Septal Alcohol Ablation..(controlled heart attack). I am hoping it will help with the symptoms, that have taken control of my life and made it miserable. I long for the day when I can tie my shoes with out seeing stars..ha ha .Good luck to you.............Connie

Author: Jason (---.ushwy1.com)

Date: 12-06-02 19:04

Hello, i've had that alot but my condition is not as bad as any of yours. Sometimes the pouding is terrible. Another thing I have & you can call me nuts, is really cold feet. My wife hates it. I keep my socks on & everything but they are like ice cubes. I dont get much swelling though, not that I have ever noticed. My feet always hurt thiugh. Good luck.

Author: Robert Hartwell (---.focal5.interaccess.com)

Date: 12-07-02 06:57

Dennis,

Prior to, and after my myectomy surgery on November 11, 2002, I still experience "pounding" in my head from my pulse. This occurs when I lay flat and my head is at the same level as my heart. This does not happen all of the time, but does occur about 50% of evenings. If I lay on my side, I can hear the pulse in my ear since it is up against the pillow. If I lay on my right side, the "pounding" is much reduced.

I discussed this issue with Dr. Lever while I was at the Cleveland Clinic recovering from surgery. He told me that my heart was fine, and that my blood pressure was very good, and I should not worry that this was a heart related condition. This helped relieve some of the anxiety that I had about this condition and has helped me sleep on those nights without sleep aid.

I have found that large dinners, or late night snacks can contribute to this condition at bedtime. FYI, I do not have either a pacemaker or ICD.

Bob Hartwell

Author: Sarah B. -Board Moderator (---.dsl.chi.megapath.net)

Date: 12-08-02 10:58

HI

There is an older thread related to this about sleeping on your left side ---most of us can't do it!. For me, too, though, you can SEE my pulse in my neck. I can't feel it though, but it freaks people out if they notice it. I tend to wear a lot of mock turtlenecks and scarves.

Anyway, sleeping propped up and on your right side may help. Otherwise, talk to you doctor to see if you need more beta-blockers or --worst case--sleeping pills.

Take care,

S

Author: Tom (---.eosinc.com)

Date: 12-09-02 18:13

Like Robert, I too have found that this condition is increased by eating or even drinking a lot before bedtime. Also, if I'm up around the house doing laundry, etc. and my heart rate is up a bit - same thing.

So, yes, I experience the same thing. I have tried to control the eating or drinking close to bedtime and I also lay on my side w/ my ear just over the edge of my pillow. This helps a bit. Oh, and a humidifier for noise!!! That was a great move.

Good luck!!!

Author: john jordan (---.public.lawson.webtv.net)

Date: 12-10-02 17:12

hi jason, i have very cold feet, i take lopressor twice a day 50mg each time. i think it might cause cold feet. there was a few comments on cold feet, hands, and nose a while back. im wearing two pair of socks all the time. stay warm, john
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X