If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remembering loved ones during the holiday

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering loved ones during the holiday

[Remembering loved ones during the holiday]

Author: Kay (204.184.29.---)

Date: 12-02-02 12:07

I was just reading the email from Amy about her first Thanksgiving without her mom. My mom died 9 years ago. I still remember the first holidays without her. They were tough. This year we had to celebrate (if you can call it that) Thanksgiving for the first time without my 10-year old nephew who died suddenly of HCM on November 4. This was extremely tough especially for my brother. One thing which was especially nice, my sister lit three candles and set them on the table. One for each of our family members who have passed away. My mom, my son who died at birth 7 years ago, and one for my nephew Derek. This helped us all feel like they were there with us. Maybe some of you can try this at Christmas and will ease your minds a little. I thought it was a neat idea to share with all of you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Remembering loved ones during the holiday]

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 12-02-02 12:31

Dear Kay,

That is a wonderful, inspiring idea and I will try to remember it for Xmas and next year.

Thank you.

Sarah

Author: Linda, Bd of Directors (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 12-02-02 14:10

What a nice idea. Maybe as time goes by, you will find a special candle to match each person. It might make memories even more sweet. Linda

Author: Amy (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 12-02-02 14:12

Kay,

What a beautiful idea. I did end up making it through Thanksgiving. It was tough. We didn't go all out...I roasted a chicken...and made some of my mom's side dishes. It was nice. We talked about my mother, and had a bottle of champagne in her honor. Part of what got me through it was that Lisa had told me that my mother wasn't afraid of dying, but that others would stop living if she wasn't here. I focused on the thought that she would want us to be enjoying ourselves. I havve to admit, that part of me became numb, so I wouldn't have to face so much. Anyway, it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be.

Best Wishes,

Amy

Author: karen (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 12-02-02 16:52

I love the idea of the candles Kay. What a great way to bring your three angels to the table. Thanks for sharing that. Karen

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 12-03-02 07:20

Kay - You have inspired me... I think I am going to look into having some special candles made...we can offer them here on the web... it is a way to bring your wonderful idea to many families and raise HCM awareness too.

I will have to look for happy things...I would hate for people to look at the candles and be sad...I think they should inspire us and make us think of happy times.

I would like your thoughts on this Kay...Maybe we can even name them after Derek? How would your family feel about that, I simply mention it as a thought.

I guess you can see I love the idea.

All the best,

Lisa

Author: maura mendoza (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 12-04-02 06:11

Kay !

what a wonderful tribute to honor your beloved ....I light a candle for Travis every morning that sits beside his picture, It burns all day every day untill I kiss his picture good night. God Bless you and you'r , Maura

Author: Elizabeth Barajas (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 12-04-02 17:59

Kay wrote:

>

> I was just reading the email from Amy about her first

> Thanksgiving without her mom. My mom died 9 years ago. I

> still remember the first holidays without her. They were

> tough. This year we had to celebrate (if you can call it

> that) Thanksgiving for the first time without my 10-year old

> nephew who died suddenly of HCM on November 4. This was

> extremely tough especially for my brother. One thing which

> was especially nice, my sister lit three candles and set them

> on the table. One for each of our family members who have

> passed away. My mom, my son who died at birth 7 years ago,

> and one for my nephew Derek. This helped us all feel like

> they were there with us. Maybe some of you can try this at

> Christmas and will ease your minds a little. I thought it

> was a neat idea to share with all of you.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X