[My Thanksgiving]

Author: Linda, Bd of Directors (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 12-01-02 11:02

To Amy and all who were spending that first Thanksgiving since losing someone very special: My first Thanksgiving without my mother was shared at my sister's home,she was having a more difficult time dealing with our loss than all the rest of us. We had a wonderful time sharing memories not only of Mom, but others no longer with us. It was very special watching the young folks as they are moving forward with their lives and love interests, and CARS. While going thru some of Mom's things, I found her recipe box (she had begun hiding things) and I found my Grandmother's cranberry salad recipe. It's like no other cranberry salad I have ever tasted and my brother and I have been lamenting it's loss for yrs. I quickly made a call to Maine, he was excited, and we all had Grandma's cranberry salad for Thanksgiving, regardless of where we were. Of course, the kids were hesitant to try it, esp when my sister told them it was Great Grammy's. After assuring them the salad hadn't been found after 10 yrs, only the recipe and the salad was fresh, they all tried our old tradition. Even if they didn't like it, they put on a good show. Now the return trip last nite thru the ice, snow, slick roads, horrible traffic, etc, wasn't quite up there on my list of fun things to do. Fortunately, hubby is quite competent behind the wheel, not to mention lucky. Even more fortunate is the fact that we drive a minivan and it has no trunk, or I'm sure I'd still be stuffed in it. Hope all are having a safe and wonderful wkend. Linda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: My Thanksgiving]

Author: Sarah B. -Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 12-01-02 12:07

Dear Linda,

I'm glad you had a good holiday. We all still lament the loss of my dad's recipe's --he never wrote any of them down, much to our dismay. Hey, would you mind posting Great Grammy's Cranberry Salad here?

Take care,

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (208.47.172.---)

Date: 12-02-02 08:02

Linda,

I am glad your holiday was nice and that some new traditions have begun! Give my best to your overly talkative hubby

Big hug!

Lisa

Date: 12-02-02 11:56

Well, that last statement was said with tongue-in-cheek! Linda

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 12-02-02 12:32

Dear All,

Since most of you have not met Ray, Linda's husband, you don't know that he is NOT a talker. At all. Really. Almost never talks. Wonderful guy, doesn't mince words!

S

Date: 12-02-02 14:12

It's very quiet around our house. The boys take after Dad. Sarah, I will share the recipe, I just have to remember to bring it downstairs to the computer. Linda

Date: 12-03-02 14:12

Sarah, this is my Grandmother's recipe for Orange-Cranberry Salad. She was a "pinch of this" and "dash of that" kind of cook, so it took some consultation and experimentation between my brother and I to get it close.

one can pineapple - we decided to use sm can crushed pineapple

one box cranberries ground - we used a 10 oz bag

2 boxes raspberry jello - we used small boxes

2 cups hot water - have to cut this by at least 1/2 cup if you don't drain pineapple

2 oranges

1/2 cup chopped nuts

2 cups sugar

Disolve jello and chill to syrup stage

Grind orange and rind, & cranberries(I used my blender) - add sugar and chopped nuts, add mixture to jello, chill till set

Hope you enjoy it. By the way, I only used 1/2 the recipe, it makes quite a lot. Linda