If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Queston about echo measurements -

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queston about echo measurements -

[Queston about echo measurements -]

Author: Dee (---.jvl.wi.charter.com)

Date: 11-27-02 10:10

I have some reports from my son's echos when he was in the hospital Jan of 2001. I'm wondering if someone can tell me what "L.V. Fractional Shortening (%)" and "L.V. Ejection Fxn (%)" are. Are these the "gradient" measurements? Dylan's ranged from 37 to 50 for the shortening one and 69 to 83 for the Ejection one back in 2001 and from the sounds of things this has worsened to what I don't know yet.

Thanx to anyone who can help me decipher these reports!

Dee

(Mom to Dylan, 3, HOCM, endocarditis/stroke, charmer extrordinaire!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Queston about echo measurements -]

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 11-27-02 10:50

Dear Dee

The ejection fraction is how much of you blood is leaving the heart when it beats. It should be over 55%, so those number for LV Ejection Fxn are good.

I have no idea what fraction shortening is though. If there is a gradient, it will say ___% gradient.

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 11-27-02 13:45

Gradients are measured in millimeters of mercury (mm) not percentages.

it would say something like 30mm for a gradient of 30 ...

EF is measuring the pumping function of the heart, most with HCM have HIGH EF's as the heart is powerful and beats hard.

lisa

Author: Dee (---.jvl.wi.charter.com)

Date: 11-27-02 15:36

I think I found it then. Under Peak Gradient - L.V. Outflow Tract he has 53, 27 and 36 on the 3 separate echos.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
X