If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am home...

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am home...

[I am home...]

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 11-21-02 08:49

Hello all!

I have just returned back to NJ and have about 30 phone calls and 150 emails to return... please give me a little time to get back to all of you.

Best wishes,

Lisa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: I am home...]

Author: Larry (---.ppp.fcc.net)

Date: 11-21-02 09:04

Where's my bratwurst??? ( Or polish sausage?)

I'll assume since you made it home they didn't have to call security on you when you ran into you know who.

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 11-21-02 09:13

Dear Lisa,

Glad to know you got home safely. Sumner bought me sushi for dinner and I survived.

(for those who don't know, Lisa won't eat fish unles she's on a coast. I guess us Chicagoans just take our lives into our hands --or stomachs--every day.) ; )

S

Author: Linda, Bd of Directors (---.wmnsmd.adelphia.net)

Date: 11-21-02 09:30

Lisa, how did you get home so fast? I thought I was doing great, but you're back at it already! Great flight for me - I got to be lonely, a real treat on a plane these days! I think we all had at least 6 seats to choose from. As for the bratwurst, you should have taken him one, wrapped in a soggy napkin. We could have stopped somewhere.

To all our members, Lisa did her usual great job of representation for us all, made great contacts, gained lots of info, shared lots of info, and the organization is sure to benefit immensely. Watch for the next newsletter. Linda

Author: Ron (---.ss.shawcable.net)

Date: 11-21-02 11:09

I was just curious if anyone has any experience with Nadolol. My son, 15, has had his daily intake changed to 80mg from 20 mg per day.

This has bee about a week now and he is extremely tired. Does anyine know if this is the norm? Will he get back to normal ? does the body adjust eventualy?

It will not be a fun life being this tired...Please, if anyone has any thing to say , I would love to hear it..

thanks in advance.

Date: 11-21-02 11:52

Dear Ron,

I am on 80 mg of Nadolol a day and have been for about two years. Before that I was taking 40. I recently discovered this weekend (with some inadvertent help from Lisa) that this dose is literally exhausting.

I had been taking dofetilide with the nadolol until a few months ago and it was only when I went off the dofetilide that I became extremely tired all the time. I think the interaction between the two was causing me to need so much more nadolol and when I went off it, I got the full blast.

Long story short, there is not much adjusting that will happen under that dose.

I would talk to the doctor and see what you can do about either ramping back down to say 40 or to trying another beta-blocker. Each one of them is slightly different and since we are all different enough, sometimes just changing to something else will make you less tired.

If rate control is the main reason for the change, make sure your son knows how to take his pulse (or get a heart rate monitor watch) and have him check it several times a day to see if he is staying in the target range --especially if you can talk to the doctor about trying a lower dose to see if that works before making 80 a permanent dose.

Also, please tell your son that he must NEVER EVER EVER STOP taking a beta-blocker cold turkey. He will get withdrawal pains --probably---and could possibly have a rebound effect which means he would feel much worse and can be dangerous.

HOpe this helps.

S

Author: Robert Hartwell (---.focal6.interaccess.com)

Date: 11-21-02 12:24

Wow, just before my surgery, I was taking 160 mg/day of Nadolol. I am now down to 80 mg/day with no other medicines. At 80, I have not found any abnormal fatigue. Must just be me.

Bob

Date: 11-21-02 13:12

Well,

I probably weigh less or the same as the 15 year old. 114 pounds and 5'3".

S

[Re: Withdrawal Pains?]

Author: Dolly W (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-21-02 13:50

Hi Sarah,

What did you mean about withdrawal pains in reference to not stopping a beta-blocker cold turkey?

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 11-21-02 13:51

Sarah,

RE eating seafood in the midwest... Two weeks ago I was eating snow crab legs in west/central Illinois. I didn't even know you could get them there! I'm from SC, so I'm no stranger to fresh seafood. But you know what? Even crab bought in Iowa tastes pretty good. Thought I would share that for Lisa's sake.

Reenie

Date: 11-21-02 15:46

Beta blockers should be weened off, not stopped abruptly. It minimizes the withdrawl effect on the heart and blood vessels. Otherwise, it could stress the heart too much too quickly. It is possible to have chest pains, heart racing or irregular beats, etc., any number of unpleasant or even potentially dangerous symptoms. Linda

Author: Erin (12.10.17.---)

Date: 11-21-02 16:02

I have just been told by my doctors to try 40mg of Nadolol instead of 80 to decrease my fatigue. I can always go back if it doesn't work.

Erin

Author: Board Moderator (Sarah Beckley (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 11-21-02 16:16

Hi

Linda pretty much answered the withdrawal question ---actually, she very much answered it!

S

Author: mary sharp (---.net307.fl.sprint-hsd.net)

Date: 11-21-02 19:18

Could the withdrawl occur from missing one day of a calcium channel blocker as well. I had a bad weekend with severe chestpain and ended up in the hospital for observation. Apparently I had forgotten my medicine when doing my fourteen hour clinical. and it caught me real quick. So my local cardiologist said it was a good contributing factor but he also said the dosage might need to be increased. Also can a person become used to a medicine quickly. when I was on cardizem they had to up the dose about once a month to keep it working. Now I am on verapamil and the same trend seems to be happening. Has anyone else experienced this?

mary s.

Author: Board Moderator (Sarah Beckley (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 11-22-02 03:55

Dear Mary,

It sounds like you have a very fast metabolism, perhaps, or your absorbtion rate. It does happen although usually a little slower. I was on Norpace for 10 years and by the end I was taking 150mg of a 12 hour capsule four times a day.

Give Dr. MM a call and make sure he knows your history on this.

take care (and carry your pills with you!)

S

Date: 11-22-02 06:51

So much to reply to here....

Re the seafood... living in NJ my rule is more than 5 hours from an ocean... not seafood for me - I must admit this began after a trip to Cleveland 3 years ago and a salmon dinner that was less then kind to me. I am sure all you mid westerm times do fine on your seafood...but once bitten twice shy here!

Re 80mg of beta blockers - Nadalol - we are each different if I hit 60mg in a dose well thats it for me I am sleeping...no joke..but I can hit 40 and I am fine...I have recently added in 120 verapilmil to my day...It has reduces the pounding and I feel rather well...I did try to back off the beta blockers...but no real luck without them my head aches were back and it was not fun...so it was a nice thought to try to get off some meds but it does not appear that is in my future... I try every time I see my neuologist to get off of the dilantin (post stroke seizures) but everytime he says 'nice try...no such luck!'

RE how I got home so fast... I checked in for my 9:30am flight and they said you still have time to get the 7:30 if you want... I said YES! and had to hurry to the plane...it was the 1st time that I every heard "Continential paging passenger Salberg" as I hurried to the plane...I was the last one on and back in NJ by 10:03am! So thanks Linda for having to be there so early for your SW flight!

I must admit though... shortly after my posting I sat down on the couch....well next thing I knew it was 3 hours later! I guess I was more tired then I thought.

I never sleep during the day.

Best to all!

Lisa

Date: 11-22-02 08:46

L

Never say never...

S

Author: Erica (---.biz.dsl.gtei.net)

Date: 11-22-02 08:50

Lisa ... I am sure you are busy. Any idea when we can chat?

Date: 11-22-02 09:34

Later today will be fine...try me aroung 4:00 EST.

Lisa

Date: 11-22-02 10:18

Let's back up to Mary's question about Calcium channel blockers - yes, you can experience problems from missing only one dose. Then you have the problem of not really being sure, did you or did you not remember to take it. You can also overdose if you take your dose twice thinking you forgot to take it earlier. If this is a concern, use those fancy pill boxes that let you prepare your meds a wk at a time. If it's gone from the holder, you know you took it. If you take it twice, you may experience problems of an extremely low blood pressure or slow pulse and feel real bad. It becomes very confusing and may be cause for emergency treatment for a problem that is a temporary result of missed or extra dose. There are just too many things to remember every day, use the little helpers when you can.

Lisa, glad things worked so well for you. It was worth missing your early morning tea, wasn't it? Linda

Date: 11-22-02 10:25

I had to wait till I got home for my earl gray!... But I did get to meet Becca at the bus after school and seeing her face light up was worth it!

Lisa

Author: Larry (---.ppp.fcc.net)

Date: 11-22-02 11:05

ok Lisa, but what about my Chicago bratwurst??

Date: 11-22-02 11:35

Dear Larry,

Just get on a plane and get one!! Or better yet, come to the Chicago session in March.

S

Date: 11-22-02 11:38

I did not leave the convention center for 5 straight days! and you want me to go looking for bratwurst...tell ya what I know a place in PA where they have some good stuff...in Feb. I'll get you some!

Date: 11-22-02 12:29

Dear Lisa,

Just bring the bum with you in March and let him help work the booth ---it will be an education and then he can't complain about the lack of bratwurst!!

S

Author: Erica (---.biz.dsl.gtei.net)

Date: 11-22-02 12:43

Busy day Lisa! Line has been busy all day! Will try again later!

Date: 11-22-02 14:48

Erica - Well the good news is we have 2 new members today...the bad news they called this afternoon and it took me a while on the phone!

I will be around in the afternoon Saturday...call me around 12:00...

I need more phone lines, more help and more hours in the day!

Lisa

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 11-25-02 02:48

Hi Lisa! I hope you enjoyed your weekend. Sorry I was unable to speak with you.

How is today looking?
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X