If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions after a recent myectomy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

carlmatteo Find out more about carlmatteo
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions after a recent myectomy

I have a few questions: I had a myectomy at the Cleveland Clinic on June 15, 2009. For those of you who have had a myectomy: 1) how long does the soreness and tenderness in your chest last, 2) there is a little fluid around my heart - did any of you experience this and if so how long did that last?, 3) how long after your surgery were you allowed to drink one glass of red wine?

Re: Questions after a recent myectomy

Hey Carl,
    You are not too far out from your myectomy, so don't be surprised that you still have some soreness around your incision. For me, I had incisional tenderness for about 3-4 months, and it took almost 8-9 months for no sternal/rib pain at all. I was most aware of it when I turned during sleep. Nothing horrible, just a pleasant reminder that my obstruction was now gone. I also was discharded with a pericardial effusion. It was gone in about 3 weeks. Wine? Can't speak to that one.

Give you body some time to heal, I think it takes more time than we are willing to give it. Patience is definitely not my strong suit. I'm glad you did well and are looking forward to that nice glass of Merlot

Linda
    Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
    Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
    ICD 10/08

Comment

I can't answer to the wine either I do not drink and have not in years because of all the meds I take.

The soreness does take time and several months before you are not reminded of it it too much on a regular basis.

The fluid is around your heart OR is it around your lung? Does take a while for your body to absorb it . Mine got worse over time and at 7 weeks post surgery, the fluid around my left lung had to be drained by a CT guided needle aspiration. If this were needed your symptoms will increase, your SOB worsening and general malaise could occur.
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

You know, for me, the incision itself healed pretty quickly. The soreness, if I recall correctly, lasted about 3-4 weeks, unless I did something a little more strenuous than I should have. I remember trying to drive 2 weeks post-surgery - big mistake! But I was up and about and back to work after 5 weeks. Sneezing was the worst! It took about 2 months for me to not scream every time I sneezed. I also slept hugging a pillow for a few months - don't know if it really helped or if it was just a security comfort. Fortunately, I did not experience fluid. I don't care for red wine, so can't help you with that one either - sorry.

Dolly
        HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

thanks for all the feed back, it really helps to know what others went through.carl

Comment

I kind of asked the same questions under the Myectomy heading...so your answers are helpful. This site is great for all those little things you need to know without having to call the doctor each time. I had my first glass of Merlot last night...no strange effects! Enjoy! Christa in NY
            Myectomy-Cleveland Clinic
            June 2009
            Aortic Valve Replacement, Mitral Valve Replacement, Tricuspid Valve Repair
            December 2014
            Dr. Smedira

Comment

Hi Carl,
              I had some soreness for several months, and even after it seemed to be completely gone I'd sometimes be surprised by some mild pain around my sternum -- as much as 7 or 8 months after my surgery. Very much like what Linda reports above.

Wine: I had no desire for alcohol for several months after my surgery. I remember the first night I had a glass of wine, maybe 3 or 4 months post-myectomy: I regarded it as a sign that I was truly healing.

As for the fluid buildup, have you been checked by the docs lately? Small buildups tend to get absorbed by the body, but larger ones need treatment.

Gordon
              Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

I had my myectomy on April 29th. Between week 6 and 7 was a big improvement. Most of the soreness went away except for sneezing. Now the sneezing is not a problem.

Comment

Carl,
                  I'm with some of the others on the soreness....took a few months and then closer to a year to not feel it at all. As for the fluid, each person really varies. Keep an eye on it; if you are experiencing problems from it, please don't hesitate to get it checked out.

Sorry I can't help you with the wine. Once in a while I would love to have a drink but my heart does not like it at all, so I don't.

Keep us updated on how you're doing.
                  Theresa
                  Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

I had a lot of soreness 3 weeks after surgery, if fact I was still sore 6 weeks after surgery.

I slept on propped up pillows for weeks after. Although one of the reasons I had so much pain is that I could not take any pain medication, I had a bad reaction to oxycotin (sp?) so I only took 2 Advil every 12 hours.

I have a small rib cage and my ribs hurt as well as my sternum. I was in terrible pain for a full month after my surgery, but then again, no pain pills.

I did not have any fluid around my heart or my lungs, thank the Lord.

I do not drink, I take 1 mg of Xanax to sleep, so no alcohol for me otherwise it could easily shut down my respitory system. Even before the Xanax I did not drink for years, my heart does not do well if I do. I have not had a drink since I was 29 years old, I'm now 45.

I hope you feel better very soon. It sounds like you are doing well.

Hugs,
                    Eve
                    49 yrs. old
                    Diagnosed at 31.
                    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Hi Carl,

I have no idea about the fluid, but good luck with that--I hope it's manageable and not serious.

My soreness went down to low level/tolerable after about 3, maybe 4 weeks, and I stopped feeling it regularly around 6 or 7 weeks. But even after that, I would still feel sporadically sore, at kind of a minor annoyance level, for the first year. This was true of both the incision and the rib pain in various places. (Caveat: on my first day driving, 6 weeks out, I got rear-ended at a stoplight. I don't know if that was part of the reason for the continuing sporadic rib pain.)

I love wine and coffee, no doctor has ever told me to restrict either one, and I've been careful not to ask. I think I had my first glass after I'd been out a week, maybe. (And coffee while I was on the step-down floor.) No problems.

Good luck!
                      Last edited by Bruce42; 07-06-2009, 09:43 PM.
                      Diagnosed (w/obstruction) 2003 at 39
                      Alcohol Septal Ablation Feb. 2006
                      Myectomy April 2007 Cleveland
                      Pacemaker dependent (no ICD)
                      Thankful and doing fine

Comment

hi... i also had myectomy at cleveland clinic early may this year. i cant say i have any soreness on my sternum any more. regarding fluid concentration around the heart, i can say i was dispatch from hospital with "little" fluid aroud it. then, after five days of resting in cleveland i went home to croatia, on a trip that had last for almost 16 hours (incluiding changing of planes)!!

after that "adventure" i got a large splash around my heart and lungs (some 4 cm). i took a therapy of several medicines and regularely been checked at hospital and after a week it had started to withdraw... all in all, this week (after more then two months) i have been checked at my home cardiologist, and there were no liquid anywhere at all - so this was a good opportunity to have a glass of wine!!!

Comment

Gemini,

Good to hear from you. I am so glad that you did well after your myectomy and with your extensive traveling back home.

Wishing you a continued good recovery from your "adventure". Yes, a myectomy is definitely an adventure!!

Linda
                          Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
                          Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
                          ICD 10/08

Comment

Hi Gemini,
                            Glad to hear that you're doing well! 16 hrs of travel is never fun, but after a myectomy it must be much worse . . .

Gordon
                            Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Gemini,
                              Thanks for coming back to update us. Sorry for the troubles, but glad it and all the traveling is behind you and that you are doing ok.
                              Take care,
                              Theresa
                              Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Working...
                              X