[Nighttime Woes]

Author: Nancy Sarvis (---.access.naxs.com)

Date: 11-17-02 11:23

I know I'm still recovering from my myectomy that was 10 weeks ago. I'm actually feeling pretty normal during the day. I've been up to stacking a little firewood on top of daily house chores. Even more fun - I was able to keep my 5 month old grandson a few hours yesterday. I try to do quite a good bit and spend some time outside everyday. My problem is nighttime. I'm experiencing a lot of back and rib and muscle pain almost as soon as I try to lay down. This has been the case since the surgery and it just isn't getting any better. I'm starting to dread bedtime. Last night I slept from 1:00 am to 1:45 am. I took something for pain, finally got up at 3:00 am, finally slept a little between 6:30 and 8:00 this morning. This whole thing seems to be getting worse instead of better. I see my Dr. week after next and I'll proably call Dr. Smediera on Monday. I've been trying to deal with it on my own, especially since it's been 10 weeks since surgery -You would think it would soon begin to get better. I never thought I would say this at age 42:" I ache all over when it rains". Oh, and its been really good weather for ducks a lot lately! My Dr. here put me on vioxx a few weeks ago but I can't say it helps much. I use a heating pad and lots of pillows too at night. Maybe if I sleep standing up like a horse? Any other ideas? My only caffeine is first thing in the morning. Help!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Nighttime Woes]

Author: Lisa Salberg (167.165.39.---)

Date: 11-17-02 18:27

Nancy, Call your doctor Monday and get some advise. He knows you best and may know why your having a hard time.

Try to get some rest...

Best wishes from Chicago!

Lisa

Author: beth (24.193.64.---)

Date: 11-19-02 05:36

dear nancy -

i don't have hcm but i did have major emergency chest surgery due to an injury to my distal esophagus that needed repair about 2 and 1/2 years ago. mine was a side entry.

you're only 10 weeks out and it sounds like you're doing great. it will and it does get better. i too had a lot more difficulty at night then i did during the day. partly i think because after being active all day it just hurt more. i wish that someone had told me about those after effects of the surgery but they just didn't. they only said the standard 6 week stuff about not driving etc.........

of course, do talk to your dr.: i think sleep is so important to healing, but know that you will get used to whatever residual effects of the surgery there may be. for you, there may be none.

i rarely think about my surgery anymore, but yep, the damp/rainy weather definitely still makes me ache a bit. as well as a night's sleep that's a little too long...........but nothing a little tylenol or anti-imflammatory doesn't help.

good luck.

beth

Author: beth (24.193.64.---)

Date: 11-19-02 05:36

dear nancy -

i don't have hcm but i did have major emergency chest surgery due to an injury to my distal esophagus that needed repair about 2 and 1/2 years ago. mine was a side entry.

you're only 10 weeks out and it sounds like you're doing great. it will and it does get better. i too had a lot more difficulty at night then i did during the day. partly i think because after being active all day it just hurt more. i wish that someone had told me about those after effects of the surgery but they just didn't. they only said the standard 6 week stuff about not driving etc.........

of course, do talk to your dr.: i think sleep is so important to healing, but know that you will get used to whatever residual effects of the surgery there may be. for you, there may be none.

i rarely think about my surgery anymore, but yep, the damp/rainy weather definitely still makes me ache a bit. as well as a night's sleep that's a little too long...........but nothing a little tylenol or anti-imflammatory doesn't help.

good luck.

beth

[Pain Management (My personal suggestions)]

Author: Erica (---.biz.dsl.gtei.net)

Date: 11-19-02 06:43

Nancy ... I am sorry you are feeling discomfort. Not to sound radical or out there ... but my suggestion is to try relaxation -- meditation before bed or when you are experiencing discomfort. My mother teaches/does Reiki & Stress Management and recommended the following to my father when he was in the hospital last week for his ablation (and in discomfort from his EPS experience and ICD/pacer implant.)

Pain basically results from a series of electrical and chemical exchanges involving three major components of your body: peripheral nerves, spinal cord and brain. Meditation has the ability to create a healing transformation. When you meditate, try to imagine positive HEALING energy flowing through your body.

Meditation helps my mother fall asleep and deal with her physical ailments (she suffers from disabling rheumatoid arthritis.) She teaches her students that meditation can relax your breathing, decrease muscle tension and slow your heart rate. It may also reduce your blood pressure. If you are open minded, try the following:

* Get into comfortable clothes.

* Choose a quiet space where you won't be interrupted.

* Sit comfortably.

* Close your eyes, relax your muscles and breathe slowly and naturally.

* Repeat a focus phrase. It doesn't have to be "ohm." Try, "I am calm." When other thoughts intrude, bring your attention back to your focus phrase.

* Start with 5-minute sessions, working your way up to 20-minute meditations.

* When you're finished, sit quietly for a minute or two to make the transition back to the real world or drift into la-la land if you wish to go to sleep!

* Use these techniques to meditate once or twice a day.

Mom also swears by Spirituality and healing. Many studies have proved that spirituality has an impact on illness and recovery. I read that at least 80% of the studies suggested that spiritual or religious beliefs have a positive and beneficial effect on health. It was concluded that people who consider themselves to be spiritual enjoy improved health, live longer, recover from illness more quickly and with fewer complications, suffer less depression and chemical addiction, have lower blood pressure, and cope better with serious diseases, such as cardiovascular disease. Another study found that among a group of hospitalized individuals, prayer was the second most common self-reported means of controlling pain -- pain medications being the most common.

Meditation and Spirituality are not cures but they can help you cope with your condition and pain. Spirituality can be viewed as a helpful healing force (but not a substitute for traditional medical care!)

PS- Mom is better than our local Meteorologists in predicting the weather! She can always feel when rain, snow, inclement weather is on its way! I also believe our bodies have a special way of communicating with us! Trust what you are feeling and always consult with your doctor! I wish you positive thoughts and hope you feel better soon! ~ Erica

[Re: Pain Management (My personal suggestions)]

Author: Nancy Sarvis (---.access.naxs.com)

Date: 11-20-02 05:27

God is a good God! I recieved several Spirit led prayers at my church Sunday night. Sunday night I slept so hard I thought I may need to be checked for rigor mortis!!! Fact is I've been sleeping pain free since! Repeat: God is a GOOD GOD!

Author: Erica (---.biz.dsl.gtei.net)

Date: 11-20-02 05:53

Nancy ... so glad to hear you are feeling better! God definitly is awesome!

Have you ever read Max Lucado? Here is something he wrote about pain:

<http://www.maxlucado.com/pdf/peace.defies.pain.pdf?

: )

Erica

Author: Lisa Salberg (167.165.39.---)

Date: 11-20-02 08:02

Nancy - Glad to hear you got some sleep...I hope this is a turning point for more good nights to come!

Lisa