If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on pacer/ICD

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on pacer/ICD

[Question on pacer/ICD]

Author: Heather (65.247.157.---)

Date: 11-17-02 06:14

Okay, one more question......Anyone else with a pacer, can you feel it working? Sometimes I can. It's not bad, but definitely something to get used to!! It just feels like a little tap, tap, tap....... inside my chest. I notice it more at night when I lay on my side to sleep.

Heather

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Question on pacer/ICD]

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 11-17-02 07:53

Heather,

I don't know if I'm the right one to answer your question or not, but here's my experience. My husband has a pacer/defibrillator. It's a backup and doesn't pace full time. When they interrogate it and check the battery life one of the things they do is pace him. He always feels it and says that while it doesn't hurt, it's a little unsettling that you can feel while they are tinkering with the settings. I would think you would get used to the feeling if yours paces full time. Hope my answer helps.

Reenie

Author: Heather (65.247.157.---)

Date: 11-17-02 17:06

Hi Reenie. Thanks for your message. Mine doesn't pace all the time either, but I usually feel it when I lay on my right side and today I could feel it while I was setting up more on my left side......It is kind of unsettling....Especially when I get used to the rythym and then it just stops....I have figured out it is going to do that if I don't need it all the time.....

Heather

Author: Lisa Salberg (167.165.39.---)

Date: 11-17-02 18:16

When pacers are new you can have a senstion of pacing I recall it being like feeling a little twitch every once and a while... and yes I felt it more when on my left side. It goes away after a few weeks then you do not feel it anymore.

Hope all keeps going well!

Lisa

Author: Reenie Smith (---.snbrca.adelphia.net)

Date: 11-18-02 07:01

See, Heather. I knew someone who knew more than I would answer you! Sounds like it's a normal feeling. But remember to call your doctor if you're ever in doubt. Take care.

Reenie

Author: Sonja (203.32.169.---)

Date: 11-18-02 11:33

Hi Heather,

I just read your earlier posting. Has the pain and throbbing eased? My husband had a similar problem with pain in his shoulder and arm.His pain got worse and worse. Make sure you see the Doc as it may put your mind at ease if what you are experiencing is normal. With Bill it turned out that he had a haematoma and as the bleeding kept going the pressure building up was what was causing his pain.

As for this posting I'm unable to add anything as Bill has not felt his ICD do anything and this was confirmed last week when he had the interogation done and there was no record of the ICD having done anything. So as you can imagine we are very pleased here.

Take Care

Sonja

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 11-18-02 15:21

1) What is 'monomorphic tachycardia'????

2) What is V-tach?

3) Is it possible for an ablation to cause V-tach? Do you think it could exist in someone prior to an ablation without them knowing they were experiencing it?

4) How reliable is a T-wave stress test in determining SCD?

5) Can a "negative" or "indeterminant" test turn positive after V-tach?

6) Is V-tach a precursor for SCD and the necesity for an ICD/pacer implant?

Date: 11-18-02 15:24

7) is there a difference btw V-tach and "nonsustained" V-tach?

8) what is the difference btw V-tach & V-fib?

Author: Board Moderator (Sarah Beckley (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 11-18-02 19:59

E

In reverse order, Vtach is ventricular tachyardia ---ventricles beat too fast. fibrillation is when they beat randomly. You can survive vtach most of the time, but vfib is a very short road to. Non sustained just means it stops on its own --it comes and goes. Vtach is a risk factor for SCD and is a factor in deciding to place an ICD. Yes, I do believe ablations can cause arrhtymias if the aren't done correctly ---I think they put a pacer lead in the heart b/c there is a risk of heart block when they start.

Sorry this is short and haphazard but I'll write more later,

S

Author: Erica (---.biz.dsl.gtei.net)

Date: 11-19-02 05:30

Thanks Sarah! I also found some beneficial info at the following website on SCD: http://www.guidant.com/index.shtml

Date: 11-19-02 08:04

Uh oh ... the health educator's wheels are turning ... new thoughts are in motion!

Oj ... here is my newest thought ... if an ablation causes a heart attack -- wouldn't it make sense to mandate an ICD before performing a septal ablation?

* My Hypothesis -- Septal ablations put people at risk for SCD. Why?

a) An ablation causes a 'controlled' heart attack

b) A heart attack is a risk factor for SCD

c) non-sustained ventricular tachycardia is a risk factor for SCD (Dad experienced two bouts of this after his ablation -- in his sleep.)

* Hence, it appears to me that by performing a septal ablation on someone who might not have been at risk for SCD, you now put them at risk for SCD since all you need is ONE YES to the above (a,b & c) to be at risk!

What do you think? ~Erica

Date: 11-19-02 08:09

This is what provoked my thoughts and theory ...

HEART ATTACK SURVIVORS ... Are You at Risk?

Sudden Cardiac Death Risk Factor Assessment

1. Have you survived a previous cardiac arrest? Yes No

2. Have you had a heart attack? Yes No

3. Has your doctor told you your heart's pumping function is low or that your ejection fraction is equal to or below 30%? Yes No

4. Has anyone in your family experienced or died from sudden cardiac arrest or sudden cardiac death? Yes No

5. Has your doctor ever told you that you have inducible, non-sustained ventricular tachycardia? Yes No

**If you answered yes to one or more questions, you may be at risk for sudden cardiac death. See your doctor for further evaluation.**

Date: 11-19-02 15:02

Erica,

While your theory may have some factual basis, based on the medical literature in the general population,,,, I am a little confused as to why you are bringing this up in this at this time and in this manner.

When dealing with HCM the risk factors have been clearly set forth many times on this board. I have often stated my concern with the procedure and its unknown risk, the largest of which is the affect of the infacted tissue on the heart in the long term. Those who have had a heart attach are at higher risk of having SD so yes one would think that once you have had an A.S.A. you would be at higher risk...yet the medical literature has not shown this to be true or false at this time. Further it will be dificult to impossible to ever know for sure what causes any arrythmia in those post ablation as it is expected to see rythm problem.

So here you have the reason why I am so careful and cautious when discussing this procedure as we just do not know enough yet.

I am aware of several deaths of people a few days after A.S.A.... yet they do not appear in the liturature...why??? I have no idea.

So I leave it here.... Should everyone who gets an ablation get and ICD 1st...no I do not think so...

For now I will leave this here... I will be attending an ablation talk in the morning... I will report more soon.

Lisa

Date: 11-19-02 16:13

Was just wondering, after some further research and thought. No reason for timing and not sure what you meant by "manner." Sorry for posting.

Date: 11-19-02 16:26

I am finished posting on this board. It was all for my father ... not for me.

I apologize for any posts that were not written 'correctly.' I wish each and every one of you well thoughts and good health.

Date: 11-19-02 17:31

No reason to apologise... it just seemed a little odd to me that you posted issues that are yes, risk factors for SD...but not HCM SD, but general risk factors.

I meant no disrespect in my reply, sorry if you took it that way.

I have just returned to my room after a long day of talks and meeting many wonderful new doctors and seeing many old friends. Tomorrow back to the conference to hear some more HCM data...

Best to all,

Lisa

Date: 11-19-02 17:44

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know they 'general' risks for SD ... I thought they were the same as HCM SD. Thanks for the clarification and thanks for always understanding. It's not easy being on either end ... the one with HCM or the family member of a HCMer. Perhaps I need a little break from the HCM world right now. I know you said no reason to apologize but I still feel the need to.

Looking forward to hearing what you learned! Have a good evening.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X