If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Status of Larry S.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status of Larry S.

[Status of Larry S.]

Author: Erica (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 11-15-02 07:12

Dad just got back from having his AICD implant. We can go home tomorrow morning! : ) All went well. His ablation was a success (#474--Dr. Spencer), and the ICD implant was a success ... he is his same old self but without the excess septum & gradient! Knowing he has an internal life preserver is a huge relief, too! He feels good, just a little sore on his left side! Dad said the ablation was a piece of cake ... the ICD implant was a piece of cake ... the EPS was the worst (since he was awake and felt it all ...felt a few of the zaps ... and had an out of body experience! My dad is not one to make these kinds of claims either ... LOL!). Oh- the EPS was done to help them program his ICD/pacer -- they knew he was a high risk for SCD. At any rate .. all went! Praying the rest of his recovery goes smooth from here on out! ~ Erica

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Status of Larry S.]

Author: Sarah B. Board Moderator (12.144.99.---)

Date: 11-15-02 07:59

Dear Erica,

Tell you dad we are all very happy things turned out so well. Be sure he doesn't push himself to recover too fast ---it is easy to feel so great that you push too hard during recovery. The leads in the ICD need about 4-6 weeks to heal and get "set" so no lifting/stretching ---all the things the doctor said not to do, you really, really have to follow those guidelines (except Lisa who likes to resurface kitchens after ICD implants).

take care --all of you!

Sarah

Author: Dolly W (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-15-02 10:09

Erica,

That's the greatnest news! I'm so glad that everything went well for your father. Actually, I think it takes a pretty strong person to lay awake while someone "gives" you a heart attack! I took the chicken's way out, I had the myectomy. But all is well.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Author: Erica (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 11-16-02 03:51

Thanks to everyone who prayed for us this past week, included Dad in your prayers and/or responded! Well ... it's 8AM ... and we should be on the road by 10AM!

If anyone with an AICD can share what the next two weeks will entail, it would be greatly appreciated! (ie. their experiences with their recovery time, pain involved, mental attitude -- acceptance of their ICD, and anything else you might have to share that can help Dad cope with his new device!) Thanks! ~ Erica

Author: Board Moderator (Sarah Beckley (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 11-16-02 04:08

Dear Erica,

Use the Search link at the top of the message board to search for ICD posts ---there are a lot already in here!!!

Keep us posted and safe trip,

S

Author: mary Sharp (---.net193.fl.sprint-hsd.net)

Date: 11-16-02 05:31

Erica,

I had an ICD implanted exactly two weeks ago yesterday. I don't remember any of the procedure because my body decided it didn't want to work with the anestesia they used so I ended up being intubated. The first three days were probably the hardest but I was in the hospital for two. Dr. Linx also said that younger people have a harder time with the pain because there is more muscle mass in the pectoral area. I stayed out of work for one week but was going to school four days later. I was also driving four days afterwards that was the most painful part of everything. For about a week and a half the swelling was about the size of a coaster. But at this point it has went down quite a bit to the size of a deck of cards. I don't know if I have Lisa beat at this one but I just finished a fourteen and a half hour shift on board a rescue unit with the Orange County Fire department. And I am not feeling all to bad. I don't think I would have ever been able to do that before I went to see the wonderful Docs at Boston. I am finally getting back to my normal self and even though I'm tired I feel great!

As far as the mental side goes I really haven't had much of a difference in it. That is until yesterday on my clinical when I found out I can't work with the fire department because of it. I felt a bit down because at 22 I may have to depend on a machine to keep me alive. And I know this sounds strange but I am sure the other young HCMers can relate but I felt like I lost my immortality. Yes I know we all die some day but facing those facts at a young age kinda stinks sometimes.

Well enough with my rambling. That is what the past two weeks post ICD have been like for me. I hope this helps!

Mary S.

Author: Lisa Salberg (167.165.39.---)

Date: 11-16-02 18:19

Erica - I am happy all is going well with your family and it was very nice speaking with all of you the other day. Post ICD implant... really no big deal...just remember no lifting for the 1st several weeks...In a matter of 2 months you almost forget that it is there.

Sorry to be short..but I have to get things organized for the morning and get some rest before these doctors run me ragged!

Later!

Lisa

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 11-17-02 17:49

We made it home safe and sound yesterday afternoon. Dad is feeling a little stiff from his ICD/pacer but overall he is doing extremely well. Just glad this past week is finally over! : )

Again, thanks to those of you who kept Dad in your thoughts and/or prayers! Having this board to post on this past week was a life saver ... and a big THANKS to Lisa for calling us back in the hospital. We are also looking forward to hearing an update from you regarding the AHA symposium!

Author: Erica (---.biz.dsl.gtei.net)

Date: 11-19-02 10:48

Lisa ... did you know who who show up? And if he saw you did he have anything to say?

Date: 11-19-02 14:46

I will see him in the morning...Lisa

Author: Erica (---.biz.dsl.gtei.net)

Date: 11-20-02 11:09

Did he have anything to say? Dad is feeling well. Still a little stiff from the ICD but feeling better than he has in years! In fact he was working on his stained glass project today ... soldering and cutting glass!

Also was shipped a package with a video from Guidant re: ICD's. All is well.

Hope you are well, too.

Date: 11-20-02 17:45

Hi all is well here... Yes I saw him today, he was in a rush to catch a plane but we did chat for a minute...

we can talk later about that.

glad dad is well please tell mom and dad I send my regards.

Lisa

Author: Erica (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)

Date: 11-20-02 19:28

Thanks -- I will let them know to check this posting for your message. When will you be available to speak? Name the day and time and I will ring you! (Specify if it's your work # or HCMA office number.) Looking forward to speaking with you soon! : )
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X