If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ALCOHOL ABLATION

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALCOHOL ABLATION

[ALCOHOL ABLATION]

Author: CONNIE (---.direcpc.com)

Date: 11-14-02 10:54

Hi All..... I went back to MUSC for my second appointment w/ Dr. Nielsen. I had an echo and in a year and a half my septal thickness went from 1.7 to 2.9. Resting gradient of 40 and provoked via Val-Salva gradient of 75+. My symptoms, (chest pain, near fainting, asthma type symptoms, and the newest.....swelling ankles and hands, and being so tired all the time) they all seem to be getting worse.

I have scheduled an Alcohol Ablation the 2nd week of January. I am really impressed with Dr. Nielsen....he is plain people with his patients and well versed in HOCM and Septal Alcohol Ablation. Everyone at MUSC are so helpful and friendly, and do their best to make you comfortable. And its in the city I most love in the world!!!Charleston!! .............C.C.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: ALCOHOL ABLATION]

Author: Erica (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 11-14-02 11:09

Dear Connie ... my best to you for finding someone at MUSC this wonderful. Dad had his ablation on Tuesday here at the MUSC. The nurses and CCU were great with him. He said the procedure wasn't too bad ... he has had angina that hurt worse than the ethanol injections. He said he can breathe again ... he feels as though his heart has been taken out ... meaning he could feel an inner burden and now it is gone. However, he did go into V-tach that night ... and there is no record of him ever experiencing this before. I wonder if the V-tach was caused by the ablation. They say no but I can't help but wonder. Oh, and some color has returned to his face. His gradient of 120 is now down to 12. We'll keep you posted as things progress. Oh yeah ... Charleston is beautiful! Maybe we'll get to enjoy it for his 3 mos follow-up visit! ~ Erica

Date: 11-14-02 15:02

Oh ... and one last thing to remember about an alcohol septal ablation besides it not being a cure, or a reduction in gradient/septum size ... you are going in to have the doctor "give you a heart attack!"

Update on Dad ... he had his EPS ... and wow! He is a true ICD candidate! Dad told us what he experienced and he crossed over and had an out of body experience! Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo relieved he is getting the ICD put in and how lucky we have been to have him go this long without an ICD! Regarding the ablation ... that went well ... he hasn't complained once like he used to (shortness of breath, angina, etc.) ... He feels good! I pray nothing goes wrong ... as we have gone through the ringer since Tuesday morning!

: )

Author: Janis (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 11-15-02 06:52

Erica,

Glad to hear things went well for your dad. Isn,t MUSC remarkable! Tell him

to take things slowly when he gets home. Keep us posted.

Connie,

You are in good hands now.

God bless, Janis Grant

Author: CONNIE (---.direcpc.com)

Date: 11-15-02 11:14

Hi Erica.....Im glad your dad is doing well. Im sure he feels much better. The Doctor at m.u.s.c referred to the Alcohol Ablation as a , Controlled Beneficial Heart Attack....this sounds pretty odd to people when I tell them I am purposely having a heart attack.

In making my decision to have the Alcohol Ablation done I have performed extensive research, and it was my conclusion that the proceedure does in most cases reduce the gradient in the chamber and reduce the thickness of the Septum. Maybe not back to normal completely, but a helpful amount in most cases. Was I wrong in my deduction. I want to have all the facts together before this is done. Any feed back from any one would be most helpful, especially those who have had it done.

Erica ..is this your first trip to Charleston??? My sister lives there and I have loved this city for years...its like coming home for me. I lived there in another life...or so I am told...ha ha ....

If you have time at your dads checkup in 3 months....SEE some of the city!!

Thanks Guys!!!!!........................C.C.

Date: 11-15-02 12:02

Connie ... no -- you are not wrong in your deduction! Dad's gradient went from 120 to 12! That is wonderful ... His ablation was a SUCCESS! But, Dr. Spencer did remind my dad that he (Spencer) gave my dad a heart attack ... plain and simple! The saying is so correct ... "A heart attack to save a life!" Just praying that a heart attack doesn't cause future problems down the road in people with HOCM! (This is my own personal thought and concern!) Dad is glad with his decision and happy with the outcome! If you have any questions feel free to post them or email me ([email protected]). Dad will post for himself about his thoughts and experience with the ablation when we get home!

Yes ... this is my first trip to Charleston! Mom and I went out for dinner the other night ... what a beautiful city! We window shopped (b/c it was late and everything was closed) and were amazed at the all the 'interesting' shops on Meeting Street, King Street, etc! Wish I were super rich! Maybe in 3 months I will win the lottery so I can buy something from each store! We just drooled down each block! Your sister is so lucky to live here! : )

Peace to all! Smile! : )

~ Erica Stolzenberg

Author: Cindy Hughes (63.168.198.---)

Date: 11-20-02 05:38

Hi, Connie. I had the procedure done in July and was down a month ago for follow-up with Dr. Spencer. I can't say enough about what a life changing event this has been for me. At 47, I feel better than I ever have (joint aches & pains excepted, of course). My resting gradient went from 65 to 0 and remains there, where he says it will stay. My treadmill test last month blew me away. I no longer see stars for no reason when walking or going up steps and I can bend over without having to stabilize myself to keep from passing out. What a difference. Dr. Spencer regards it as highly successful (it couldn't have gone any better than it did.)

I know the long-term outcome is not known at this point but I'm very grateful for the quality of life improvements achieved with a much less invasive procedure. I, too, did a lot of research before agreeing to the referral to Spencer. He wouldn't even see me until he'd had a chance to look at my history and past echos. I respect that but it was also hard waiting to hear that I was someone he could and should help. And people do kind of think you're nuts when you tell them you are choosing to have a heart attack.

...and I love that Charleston and the great people at MUSC!!

Best Wishes!!
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X