If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

insurance

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insurance

[insurance]

Author: Ron (---.ss.shawcable.net)

Date: 11-13-02 20:34

My son age 15 has HCM and has a defibrillator/pacemaker unit.

We are planning a Mexican vacation. Can you advise if insurance companies will in fact come thru with the coverage if there are problems while away.

I have heard mixed stories from the insurance company we have....One person says yes we have the best coverage and all is well and the next person says it will all come down to a judgement call if a situation does occur. How do others with HCM travel and get insurance.....Hope you have some advice..

thanks..

P.S. We live in Canada..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: insurance]

Author: Glen (65.247.42.---)

Date: 11-14-02 03:53

Hi Ron, I live in Whitby, near Toronto and my insurance is with Maritime life thru my company I work for.

The plan we have is very good and we have travel/out of the country coverage as long as the condition for myself, wife and child was pre-existing, We had to wait I believe 6 months after joining the plan before they would cover such things.

In other words you cannot join the plan, go on a trip a month later and have an incident and have them cover it.

The best bet is to call the insurer and see what coverage you have.

If it's thru your work maybe human resources can answer your question, but it really comes down to not the insurer, but what plan you have with them.

Also check out Blue Cross travel insurance, you can purchase this at any bank or thru the travel company you would use.

They would also have a pre-existing clause in their coverage.

I assume your son was diagnosed awhile back so he would probably qualify for any pre-existing clause.

Good Luck

Glen

Author: Sarah B. -Board Moderator (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 11-14-02 04:06

Hi,

I can only echo what Glen said, you really have to read the fine print on YOUR insurance paperwork and see what it says and you may also want to call them, too.

I don't know about Canada, but here you can buy extra travel insurance sometimes, too.

Just don't drink the water!

Sarah

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 11-14-02 04:23

I am sorry I am not that great with the Canadian system... HELP... all Canadians can we get some input here?

Thanks,

Lisa

I can ask some people while I am at AHA..but I willnot be back until 11/21/02...when are you leaving?

Author: Ron (---.ss.shawcable.net)

Date: 11-18-02 20:30

Not leaving until mid February ........hope to here from you......

i have talked to 5 or 6 different companies including the ones that my wife and I are both insured with thru work.....every thing sounds wonderful with them till you start asking very direct questions..then they refer the term....unforseen...... and claim that if he has a defib. and has a problem that is heart related while on vacation..they would not consider it to be a unforseen situation and in all likelyhood he would not be covered.......it is very frustrating talking to them ...no one will answer the questions directly......Every time i present them with a possible senarial they really squirm for an answer...

Please let me know if you have ever heard of anyone that actually made a claim whiel out of the country...I would love to hear how it turned out..

thanks again

RonG

Author: Board Moderator (Sarah Beckley (---.client.attbi.com)

Date: 11-19-02 04:56

Dear Ron,

Get a copy of the actual policy. They have to state what they do in that document.

S
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X