If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Basic HCM Brochure I've seen....

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

JillC RN for over 40 years, MS degree in Respiratory Nursing, Worked surgical open-heart ICU for 18 years in Chicago.. After years of symptoms finally diagnosed with HOCM in 2006. I retired from nursing 2012 due to HCM and had septal myectomy at Local hospital 2013, Redo myectomy Mayo Clinic 2014. Now doing well. Find out more about JillC
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Basic HCM Brochure I've seen....

I was doing some HCM googling today and I ran across this brochure from Dr. Charlene Day's HCM center at University of Michigan. For those of you who may not know Dr. Day was elected Physician of the year by the HCMA in 2014.
    This brochure does not go as indepth as the book written by Lisa Salberg and Dr. Marin but it is a great basic introduction to ALL the relevant topics that are part of treating HCM. It has great color pictures and is a printable PDF file.

http://www.med.umich.edu/cvc/service...m/Brochure.pdf
    Last edited by JillC; 12-30-2014, 08:44 PM.
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Re: Best Basic HCM Brochure I've seen....

This is a good reference Jill. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Joel

Born 1955 in USA, DX'd w/HCM 1996, in United Kingdom
    2011, 2013, 2014 ablations for Afib and flutter in UK, INOVA Fairfax, VA, and Johns Hopkins
    June 2014 DX HOCM at Johns Hopkins
    October 2014 Myectomy and Cryomaze at Mayo Clinic

Comment

This is great Jill, thanks! I've met with Sharlene and Mary & they are wonderful people. Most COE have similar things on their sites, but I've not seen a PDF version and this is really well written and thought out.
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

That's what I thought....especially for new HCMers and easy to understand for families. The 1 slice pictures depicting a septal myectomy are priceless!
        After years of symptoms:

Comment

Really good resource, Jill, Thanks for posting it!

Comment

This is awesome! I am trying to get the word out to family as my husband is the first diagnosed but I feel he is not the only one who has HCM. Thank you for sharing, Jill!
            Megan, wife to Husband, Justin with HOCM
            Husband diagnosed at 37 when taken to ER due to CHF on vacation in San Diego at Pomerado Hospital, March 2014
            Seeing Dr. Salcedo in UC Med Hospital Denver upon diagnosis
            AICD/Pacemaker July 2014 @ UC Med Hospital, Denver with Dr. Nguyen
            Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic October 2014 with Dr. Smedira
            Parents to 3 boys, 11, 8, and 6 all currently clear from recent echos

Comment

Very informative - thanks for sharing. What is the title of the book written by Lisa Salberg and Dr. Marin? I can't seem to find it

Comment

A Guide to Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy for Patients and Families. Barry Marin and Lisa Salberg.
                You can call HCMA or go to Amazon.com
                After years of symptoms:

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X