If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lisa and The Old Saying "Break a Leg"

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lynn Perry Find out more about Lynn Perry
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lisa and The Old Saying "Break a Leg"

This may be "the big guys" way of telling you to SLOW DOWN - Please rest & let others serve you for once! Hoping you mend fast & aren't in too much pain.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

My Dear Lisa,
      I am SO SO SO sorry that this happened to you. You are always running non-stop and everyone is always saying slow down take some time off...I guess you have no chose but to sit still now. I just hope that they are able to something for you when it comes to the pain. I know how it is to be in pain and not be able to get it under control...myectomy with tylenol for pain afterwards because I am allergic to the "good" meds. I just hope that you are not as itchy in your cast as my father was in his...he was seeking out cloths hangers by the end of the first week.

Hang low for a while we will understand.

Lots of prayers and hugs for you....
      Nikki
      ------
      "I will live each day with the love and help of my family and friends."

Diagnosed w/ HOCM Feb. '05, ICD April '05, Myectomy Dec. 13th, 2005 at NEMC
      Wire fractured, ICD and wire replced on 10/17/2008.
      Adopted in 1979, no medical history passed on other than born with a murmur and leaky valve.
      Married 9 years to the greatest husband that a woman could want.
      Mother to a wonderful 9 year old boy. So far he is negative for signs of HCM.

Comment

Oh Lisa,
        Wow. Hang in there! Someday, this will be a crazy story to re-tell, and one that Dr. Maron and Kelly can harass you about. Until then, I'm hoping the pain subsides and the recovery is uncomplicated. Keep us updated when you can.
        Theresa
        Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Lisa

I hope your pain is better today and you are up and about on your crutches hang in there

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Oh brother. Don't tell me you were trying to walk and chew gum at the same again!

( what are big brothers for , if not to be smartasses?)
            Lisa\'s favorite (and smarter) big brother.

Comment

Lisa
              Holy crap, girl ! CBS eh ? I heard Katie Couric trips people. Im just saying !
              Sorry you are in pain. As usual, you were helping all of us.
              Try not to "go out on a limb" for us for a while !!
              rest well
              peace
              Mariab

Comment

Lisa -

So sorry to hear of all your troubles and pain. Eileen and I wish you a speedy rehabilitation.

Don't plan on climbing those stairs to "The Office" (HCMA version, not BBC or NBC) anytime soon.

Remember how we told you Paul worked from our place last summer after his life-saving cardiac surgery you helped arrange? I'm sure with the support network you have in your family, Kelly & Bill (to name a few in the neighborhood), you can move your office a bit further up Green Pond Road and we will hardly notice the difference -- except hopefully, like Paul, you will get needed rest between the calls and postings and finish a complete rehabilitation.

Take care,

Dick

Comment

OM Goodness Lisa,
                  I hope the pain subsides and you feel better!!!
                  Sara
                  son, Ben, age 11, diagnosed with HCM 02/2007

Comment

Lisa I am so so so sorry for your accident. I can only imagine how painful that has to be. Take care of yourself and I'll pray that it will heal great and you will have no problems after. I appreciate you and all that you do! Janet
                    My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Comment

Well here I am one week out and still in pain... I am hopeful that the pain part of this little experience is almost over....I have set up the HCMA office on my sofa and begun to return calls today - if you have left a message for me I am really trying my best to get back to everyone by the end of the week.

thanks for all the good wishes,
                      Lisa
                      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                      Currently not obstructed
                      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Wow Lisa! Looks like your taking a page out of my book! Joint/leg injuries take forever to heal (not being negative but!). When I decided to get off my motorcycle without the kickstand stand down I got my right ankle/leg caught under the left side of the bike. It happened on Good Friday (didn't know what was soo good about it) and was on crutches for six weeks and two months of torture uhm physical therapy. I didn't break anything but the doc said I would have been better off.

Sooo, in this long winded story TAKE TIME OFF! If you don't it will heal more slowly and have future problems. I don't know how many times you gave me grief about slowing down but now is your turn.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary - thanks - good to hear from you. Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                          Currently not obstructed

Comment

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear of your broken leg. Many prayers of healing going out to you.

Hundred Hugs,
                            Eve
                            49 yrs. old
                            Diagnosed at 31.
                            Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                            First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                            Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                            Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                            My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                            2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Lisa,

Are you sure you should be heading back to work soooo soon! I'm worried. Are you driving? You need to stay off that leg! Trust me. I don't think I would have been on crutches for six weeks if I would have listened and not pushed myself back so soon. Keep doing the work from the couch if you gotta but you are vunerable. God forbid you get into a car accident if you are driving and can't stop fast enough. Almost, happened to me during my stubborness of trying to drive too early!

Please, I'm begging you take it easy!

Mary

Comment

The office is around the block from my home... and my mom, Kelly or others have been driving me - Trust me... I needed to get out of the house!!!!!!!!!! Boy I give you post myectomy people credit for saying close to home for so long - I had cabin fever within 2 weeks! Heck then I had a REAL fever ;-0

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Working...
                                X