If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lisa and The Old Saying "Break a Leg"

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lynn Perry Find out more about Lynn Perry
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa and The Old Saying "Break a Leg"

Well,
    As Lisa mentioned on her post the other day, she was scheduled to do an interview for CBS in New Orleans on Tuesday.

Well, did you ever here the phrase "Break a Leg" when someone is about ready to give a performance. Lisa took that phrase a little too seriously. Not sure if it was before or after the interview, BUT, Lisa decided to "Break a Leg" at the CBS studio. Seriously folks, she BROKE HER LEG!!!!!! Apparently tripped over some rolled up carpet at the studio.

She and Kelly made it home from New Orleans late last night, but sounds like it was not a fun trip home.

Hey Lisa, word of advice from your big sister, people really don't mean "Break a Leg", when they say "Break a Leg". Sorry, couldn't resist!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Lisa and The Old Saying "Break a Leg"

Lisa,
    I am sorry to hear you broke your leg. Hope you are feeling okay and you are back to your unbroken self soon!

Kaye

Comment

Ah jeez, poor kid. Give her a break will ya? Oh yeah I guess she did already!

May I suggest we do cyber cast signing?
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Lisa.

Get better!

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Have mercy girl, You do do things in a big way, so did the interview go good????

Get well and hope you feel better soon

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Oh Lisa - I'm so sorry - there's "breaks', and then there's "BREAKS", that coming from one who knows. I hope it heals quickly and pain doesn't last long.

Linda

Comment

Geez, Lisa! Do you have to do everything in style? I hope you're feeling better soon.
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Lisa,
                Being new in HCMA, I haven't contributed much so far, but it has been great to follow everyone else's posts. Reading about your New Orleans misadventure has got to be over the top!! I am so sorry this happened to you, and hope you'll heal quickly and well.
                Hanne

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words.. so no I did not get to complete the interview.
                  The entire episode has been just too strange for words... and honestly the pain is pretty bad now... the first day I was too drugged to notice the pain, day 2 it hurt a great deal and today... well lets just say I am really glad I have lots of pain meds.

I also had to place a call to the airline - would you believe the flight attendant straddled my leg - so she could help the woman 2 seats over raise her seat to full up right for take off - as she leaned over me I asked her not to - at which time she gave me a snotty look - then she lost her balance and banged into my broken leg - up to that point I had not shed a tear - but OH my did that hurt and I began to cry - she then snapped at me that I was being rude. A different flight attendant came over to see if she could help then "Patty" was hovering over her shoulder and I said just keep her away from me - at which point she said "well I work here!". The rest of the flight attendants kept her in the rear of the plane for the rest of the flight. I spent part of today on the phone with the airline. I am waiting to hear from their risk management dept.

UFF DA!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Lisa,
                    It's not actually necessary to do things with so much drama . . .

But I hope the pain subsides quickly. And that the airline does something nicer than give you a flight coupon.

Gordon
                    Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Lisa,

I am so sorry that you have to go through this! Please rest and heal and let everyone else take care of you for awhile.

Rhoda

Comment

It can never be simple can it? I hope however that your break in the leg is simple and uncomplicated and that it will heal nicely and the pain will be well managed. I am sorry, very sorry that you must experience this. Thinking of you and this whole awful ordeal. BTW was it the same leg you had the orthroscopic knee work done on not too long ago?

Pam
                        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa,. Maybe this is the only way to get you to rest. I am sorry this has happened and like Pam I am hoping that there is no complications. Take care.
                          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Lisa- sending a prayer for a speedy recovery. Take it easy for awhile. Let others help and do things for you now.

Donna - 16yr old son dx'd with HCM in March 2008 - No family history.

Comment

Well here is the update... I did not break one bone... I broke two! The fibula is broken long ways and the tibia is broken at the bottom of the bone, looks like the letter C. I have a cast up to my knee and sorry to say... lots of pain.
                              I will be hanging low for a few days.
                              More soon.
                              Lisa
                              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                              Currently not obstructed
                              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Working...
                              X