If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grey's Anatomy to Feature HCM Patient

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Sarah Find out more about Sarah
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey's Anatomy to Feature HCM Patient

Tomorrow's Grey's Anatomy episode includes an HCM patient getting a surgery to "buy him time" till another heart comes available as he's on the transplant list.

Sounds like they are going to give this guy a rough time, so probably not good for the kids.

Re: Grey's Anatomy to Feature HCM Patient

Here is a sneak peak. Meredith apparently needs some help with her pronunciation.

http://www.greysanatomynews.com/2008...p-sneak-peeks/
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Ah yes, but in the actual show, she DOES pronounce it right. Funny, eh? I thought that overall, it was pretty depressing. I was hoping that he would jog out of the hospital at the end. Is there no magic anymore ... even in Hollywood??
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++
      *Adopted but know that birth Father died at 37 of what we now believe to be HCM.
      *Diagnosed with HOCM in 11/07. I also have the abnormal papillary muscle.
      *Gradient 100-185 when provoked.
      *Currently being treated with Atenolol, 50 mg. per day.
      *Three kids: 19, 13 and 11, all presently clear of HCM.
      *Patient of Dr. Sharlene Day, U of M.
      *ICD - August, 2010

Comment

they tend to mix up the endings on Grey. they don't give everyone a smile.

Comment

How accurate a picture of alcohol ablation was it?

Comment

Since I'm a loyal fan to this show, I've put off this episode for fear that it'll start my panic up all over again -- would anyone be so kind as to tell me (in a pm) if the guy makes it or not so I can decide whether I'm going to watch it?

I know, I'm a dork.

Thanks!
            Marki (34) mom to: Quest (15) positive HCM, Zak (10) HCM, waiting on a new heart for 14 months now, Sutton (7) gene negative, and MJ (2) no HCM. Wife to Michael (35). ***Remembering Priscilla (passed on October 31, 1999 @ 33 yrs old), Janice (passed on September 1, 1974 @ 16 yrs old) and Shirley (passed on October 23, 1995 @ 58 yrs old).*** All were from HCM.

Comment

you know the way he was hurting during the heart attack phase of the procedure my niece told me it really didn't hurt that bad, she said it was uncomfortable but not bad, and yes the guy lives after a second ablation

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I watched it and didnt think much of it. Greys is almost too "soap opera like" to put any stock in. Not that I would go there for advice or info.
                peace
                Mariab

Comment

My husband and I watched it and at first he thought it was going to be uncomfortable watching something too close to home. In fact, I think it is far enough away from the sometimes scary realities that all of us really live with that it was fine to watch. We even had a few times of saying "as if" to each other

Comment

For those who missed, you can watch the full episode online:

http://abc.go.com/player/index?pn=index

Grey's Anatomy, Season 5, Episode 6

"Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I turned it on, 5 min. later I shut it down I really have no need to see someone make believe...
                      WKevinD

Comment

Okay, so I finally watched the show, and I have a few questions because of it..

When it comes to heart transplants and HCM, I'm under the impression very few actually need them - and when they do, it's because their hearts become dilated and less efficient (similar to DCM). So.. if this guy is needing an alcohol ablation, wouldn't this mean he was obstructed as opposed to dilated? And if this were the case, wouldn't that mean he wasn't a candidate for transplant? Also, and this is just me wondering.. but if the patient was that against another ablation, wouldn't a myectomy be considered?

I know this is a show.. and 98% of it is drama - but for my own personal education, would someone explain it to me?
                        Thank you!!
                        Marki (34) mom to: Quest (15) positive HCM, Zak (10) HCM, waiting on a new heart for 14 months now, Sutton (7) gene negative, and MJ (2) no HCM. Wife to Michael (35). ***Remembering Priscilla (passed on October 31, 1999 @ 33 yrs old), Janice (passed on September 1, 1974 @ 16 yrs old) and Shirley (passed on October 23, 1995 @ 58 yrs old).*** All were from HCM.

Comment

I had to keep changing channels to HSN whenever they brought that patient on, it was too close to home. But I am excited it is bringing awareness to the public, I just wish they had talked more about symptoms. There are so many people out there ignorant of why they feel so sick and this would have been a great opportunity.
                          Diagnosed with HOCM Dec. 2007 at 40
                          Myectomy 12/08/08 UoMichigan
                          Treated for "Asthma" since 2004 and took Claritin-D every night for 3 years- while my "Asthma" got worse and worse.
                          Mother has mild HOCM gradient of 25

Comment

Marki

You are right that few overall HCM patients need a transplant (it may seem like a lot more if you are on the board a lot because we don't have a statistically accurate representative sample of the entire HCM spectrum on the board).

And yes, it is only because "end stage" or "burnt out" HCM develops into what is essentially dilated cardiomyopathy. 90% of the people on the transplant list have DCM.

However, DCM mostly affects the outer walls, so I think it is technically possible to be obstructed and have DCM, but I don't know how often this is true. I'm sure they just piled on as many permutations as possible to rachet up the drama.

I could see why a myectomy would be out of the question because a DCM heart would probably not be able to tolerate the trauma of such a huge operation.

Does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by Mommyto3Boys View Post
                              Okay, so I finally watched the show, and I have a few questions because of it..

When it comes to heart transplants and HCM, I'm under the impression very few actually need them - and when they do, it's because their hearts become dilated and less efficient (similar to DCM). So.. if this guy is needing an alcohol ablation, wouldn't this mean he was obstructed as opposed to dilated? And if this were the case, wouldn't that mean he wasn't a candidate for transplant? Also, and this is just me wondering.. but if the patient was that against another ablation, wouldn't a myectomy be considered?

I know this is a show.. and 98% of it is drama - but for my own personal education, would someone explain it to me?
                              Thank you!!

I think that your assessment is basically correct. It is very unlikely if you were a candidate for septal reduction that you would be referred for a transplant first. If you were having very severe symptoms and were obstructed, they would first try the myectomy or ablation and only later if that was not effective would they consider a transplant. And, normally transplants are not performed because of obstruction...they are performed because the heart has become dilated and can't pump well enough anymore. They are different problems. I agree that the show was not medically realistic, but hey, it worked for their story line.
                              Daughter of Father with HCM
                              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Working...
                              X