If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM diagnosed in time.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

anarad Find out more about anarad
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM diagnosed in time.

This article was recently in the Minneapolis Star/Tribune. I like the fact that he was still drafted and Denver University is still going to honor his scholorship....real class organizations.............

FARIBAULT, MINN. -- A Shattuck-St. Mary's senior missed his high school graduation three weeks ago so he could attend the NHL Combine in Toronto.
    The decision actually ended his hockey career - but might have saved his life.
    David Carle got a physical just like all the other prospective draft picks - and the 18-year-old learned he had hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
    The disease is a rare thickening of the heart muscle that has been associated with cardiac arrest in athletes.
    Carle, of Anchorage, Alaska, disclosed his condition and withdrew his name from the 2008 NHL Entry Draft last week.
    While the news changed his life, Carle is still upbeat.
    "I really am quite fortunate that they were able to find it," Carle said this week from his home in Alaska. "It could have ended a lot more tragically with them pulling me up off the ice in a few years."
    Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy affects one out of every 1,000 people, according to information from the Mayo Clinic. The thickening of the heart forces it to beat faster than the average heart to produce the same amount of blood flow to the body. Boston Celtics star Reggie Lewis died from the disease.
    Carle was considered a solid second or third round selection in the draft after helping lead Shattuck-St. Mary's to its second straight national championship. He receive a scholarship to play at the University of Denver.
    Even though Carle withdrew from the draft, the Tampa Bay Lightning used its last pick of the seventh and final round to select him.
    "The owner called me ... and just kind of explained to me why they did it. He just told me that I worked too hard, that I worked my entire life to be drafted, and he didn't really see why I shouldn't be. (He said) that I deserved it, and he wanted that to always be by my name," Carle said.
    During his time at Shattuck-St. Mary's, a private boarding school in Faribault, Carle was known as a hard worker. He gained 15 pounds before his senior season thanks to a strict workout regimen and regulated diet.
    But now with his heart condition, Carle will have to adjust to a new routine.
    "Before I was eating six times a day trying to gain as much weight as possible, and now I kind of have to watch that and watch the belt buckle a bit," he said.
    The same day Carle withdrew his name, the University of Denver contacted him and informed him the school would still honor his scholarship for all four years, as well as find a position for him to help the team.
    "One door closes, but 20 doors just opened as far as what I can do in the next few years. It's kind of cool in that sense," Carle said. "... I'll go down to school and take a few classes, and just kind of see what makes me tick."
    53yr old. History of A-Fib(been cardioverted 25+ times!!) Septal Myectomy at Mayo Clinic in 1996. ICD placed in 2000. Had tricuspid valve replaced in Jun 2007 - Feelin GREAT !!
    Goal is to have a single-digit golf handicap....

Re: HCM diagnosed in time.

I have had a nice talk with David, I have to say that I am very impressed with this young man and the manner in which he has handled his diagnosis. He is a true role model for young athletes everywhere!
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Re: HCM diagnosed in time.

Carle sounds like a really smart kid with a fantastic future. I would also like to commend the University of Denver and the owner of Tampa Bay. Both these organizations showed what true sportsmanship is all about. For Tampa Bay to bascially give up a draft pick just to honor this kid makes even a bigger positive statement about the Tampa Bay owner!! For the University of Denver to follow through on their scholarship offer is just amazing. But we even have to take a step further back and acknowledge the fact that the NHL medical evaluation picked up on the HCM to begin with! What a significant step in the right direction in HCM awareness! This story is a win-win from all directions even if Carle will not play in the NHL.

Comment

Working...
      X