If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survey: If you could relocate and work at Mayo, would you?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

tonbra Married with a 7 year old and a 2 year old- both NEGATIVE for HCM. Find out more about tonbra
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survey: If you could relocate and work at Mayo, would you?

Just wondering what other HCM'ers would do given my situation.
    I live and work in Oregon for a large semi-conductor mfg. I have mild HCM and treat at Mayo in Phoenix but have been to the Rochester location (and like it). Mayo is hiring for a position that I am fully qualified for- the job would likely even be a small step up from what I am doing now. I am debating putting in for the job- there are some obvious benefits- not the least of which is being closer to cardiac treatment (I have no local cardio) but also being able to live close to work (I live 50 miles away now) and living in an area with a lower cost of living (at least the cost of housing is nearly 1/2 there compared to portland).

The drawbacks-
    * Church- we have a good support system
    * Family- were currently within a days drive (6 hours) from family
    * Starting over at a new job.

I like where I am working now- things are fine here, but I worry about long term energy costs and housing costs.

My question is....
    If you had the opportunity to relocate to Mayo, assuming you could land the job, would you leave extended family and freinds behind, move spouse and small kids, to start over at a great job, location, and close to the center of cardiac HCM care?
    Tony Brace
    Diagnosed with HOCM April 2006
    Myectomy Mayo Clinic June 18th 2010
    Doing GREAT since then!

Re: Survey: If you could relocate and work at Mayo, would you?

I'm speaking from the view point of a former Air Force dependent - my husband is now retired. I would go if I thought I would like the job and would enjoy the new area. I'm always up for learning more about different places, and what better way than to live it? The proximity of living near Mayo (and working there) would be great too. I know it's tough to leave places you like, people you love, and great support systems. I really do know that. I also know there are great people and great support systems, once you get to know the locals, in any place. You just have to put yourself out there to meet them.

Ultimately the decision is up to you, obviously, but if it were me, I think I would give it a shot. I'm assuming, of course, that you land the job and it's something that you would like doing and would pay enough to make the move feasible.

PS~ I'm speaking from experience here. We just moved from Illinois to Maryland (away from my husband's family whom we all love) this winter so my husband could take another job. He's happier at work and I like it here. My kids are a mixed bag as far as how well they're adjusting, but I think they're doing all right, all things considered.
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I think I would go, looking at it like an adventure.
      Diagnosed Aug 2007

Comment

I think that you and I had this same conversation a couple of years ago.

I think that you should first apply for the job, go up there and interview, and then make a decision. It is impossible to evaluate now without knowing specifics.

You should think about whether you can live in very cold weather, if you like living in a small town like Rochester, if there is a church community up there that you would like to join, etc. I don't remember if you have kids, but if so, the schools, support systems for them, etc. Do you like hunting and fishing? They like it up there.

I personally think the medical care at Mayo is the best in the world. I would not and do not hesitate to travel there for anything major. I am not sure that I could live in the cold and in a small town, but that is me. I am different than you.

I say apply, interview, and wait until you have an offer to make any decision.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

We did have this discussion- A position opened up and I considered it- things at the time did not work out. Good advice to apply- I have been thinking about just doing that and seeing where it went. My big fear is that it would go somewhere and a big decision would need to be made. If it were just me, I would do it, but my wife and son are involved- and my wife definetly does not want to go anywhere.

As to the area- been there before and liked the area. The cold would stink after a while- but both of us come from eastern washington where it gets cold and snows. I love smaller town living (both my wife and I do)- and would love to get to a smaller place.
          Tony Brace
          Doing GREAT since then!

Comment

I personally love Rochester not just from a patient point of view but like the town. As far as church support I am sure you could find it there. It is a small town but very diversified, with the medical people and IBM. It certainly would not hurt to interview. You would have medical insurance for one thing. it really is a personal decision but applying is free and you can see what happens after that. Good luck with your decision
            Last edited by Midge Rollins; 04-21-2008, 04:31 PM. Reason: hit send too soon
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Ya know. As health care continues to change - maybe for the better, maybe for the worse, being an "insider" at the Mayo Clinic might help in the future. Does your son have HCM? Do you really need to be that close to a specialty center?

On the other hand:

Do you want to be in Rochester with one of the primary reasons being your health condition? I love Cleveland - and, I hate Cleveland. It reminds me of the seriousness of my HCM issue every time I think of that city. When I come back to southwest Ohio I can sometimes pretend that I don't have health issues - I'm back in my insulated little world. It is probably because I'm a visitor - but, how would it be if I moved there? How will it be for you?

On the other hand:

If it is a good career decision, why not? I was in the Air Force and moved around and all in all moving was a great experience for my family.

For what it's worth!

Andy P

Comment

Hey, Hey

Let's be careful with that Cleveland talk Andy. I know you love the Indians, Browns and Cavaliers just as much as I do. I lived there for 5 years. The people are great...the weather.....well, that's a different story.

bucky
                Diagnosed in June 2007, Pacemaker Oct 2007, Myectomy in Feb 2009 at Cleveland Clinic, Two daughters, both checked with Ultrasounds in 2008, all OK so far. Two grandchildren both check with Ultrasounds and all is OK to date. OH YES....Harry, the Doggie, says Hi also. sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by adpsmp View Post
                  Ya know. As health care continues to change - maybe for the better, maybe for the worse, being an "insider" at the Mayo Clinic might help in the future. Does your son have HCM? Do you really need to be that close to a specialty center?

Andy P
                  Being an insider definetly would be a + and its one of the reasons I am thinking of leaving a nice cushy job that pays well and has security for the unknown and uncertain. My son does not have HCM. If he got my genes he probably wont develop it until he is older. I also have another child on the way- no clue there as to if they will have it.

As far as living in Rochester- I kind of liked what I saw when I was there, although I havent been there during the winter. I do know that the summer golf prices are WAY better than golf prices here in Portland.
                  Tony Brace
                  Doing GREAT since then!

Comment

Originally posted by tonbra View Post
                    As to the area- been there before and liked the area. The cold would stink after a while- but both of us come from eastern washington where it gets cold and snows. I love smaller town living (both my wife and I do)- and would love to get to a smaller place.
                    I would echo some of the other posters' opinions. If the job would truly be a good step up for you, I would personally rank that pretty high on my list of pros. It is a risk, though, to leave a job which, presumably, you enjoy and where you have seniority and stability.

I have to point out that just because you live or have lived in an area that gets cold and snow doesn't mean that you'll be prepared for the winters here. My partner and I lived in California prior to moving to Minnesota (me for 8 years, he for 21 years), and we both grew up in areas that have some pretty cold and snowy winters (me in St. Louis, he in Michigan). Coping with the winter season has a lot to do with the sort of temperament one has, though: If you get seasonal affective disorder or you are under treatment for depression, the winters can and likely will have an effect on you. This past winter was the worst I've experienced in the four we've had here, and I found it personally more difficult here than anywhere I've lived. Also, since you have HCM, you will need to be aware of how the extreme temperatures affect your symptoms.

As a whole, Minnesota seems to be a good place to raise kids. I would think that given the proximity to Mayo, Rochester would have pretty good schools and resources.

On a different note, "Minnesota nice" is *not* a myth. It really exists, and it's always a source of amusement/frustration to me. I don't think the native Minnesotans quite know what to do with me because I will speak my mind and don't do the passive/aggressive thing that's so pervasive in the Midwest.
                    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

I'm weighing in mainly because I haven't posted in awhile... So, not sure I have that much new to add to the chorus of advice.

First, being reasonably close to "center-of-excellence", much less an "insider" at Mayo can make a real difference in how your treatment progresses. I'm within an hour train ride of my HCM doc in NYC, and as I look back on my HCM story, my consistent accessibility to an HCM COE has been a significant factor in the options I've had and resulting decisions I've made regarding my treatment. (Note my signature line - I'm celebrating an anniversary )

But having said that, leaving a local faith community in which you are presently supported and are serving in is not to be taken lightly. In your trips to Rochester, have you looked at the local churches, esp. churches of the same denomination, congregation size, style of worship, style of preaching, kids programs, etc. etc.? And of course, leaving family behind is an important consideration, but other than cost, several hours away by plane may not be that different from several hours away by car.

On the plus side for Rochester -- not only does it host good corporate citizens (Mayo, IBM) as was previously noted, but I seem to remember it being consistently up there on the various "best places to live" lists for a town of its size.

Finally, climate -- thought quite diff't from Salem/Portland, MN may not be as different from eastern WA as one might initially think. While colder and snowier, there are significantly more sunny days in the winter in Rochester than in Portland. Personally I'll take sunny and 20F over 45F and rain/drizzle.

So I say, like others, no harm in applying and going for the interview if it gets to that point. With all the advice and suggestions here from the board you'll be going into it with your eyes wide open, and you'll ultimately have to decide what's most important for you and your family.

Best wishes
                      Rich G
                      Myectomy and mitral valve repair, April 2007, St. Luke's Hospital (NYC)

Comment

I've not applied for jobs because I've decided this or that before hand, so I would say apply first and see what happens.

But you say that your wife doesn't want to go anywhere and you really need to discuss it with her first. If she is 100% on not going no matter what, you shouldn't apply. If she's open to thinking about it, then it is worth a shot.

I would LOVE to be close to Mayo, but the Chicago winters are getting hard for me and so I think I might move to CA, but I don't want to be farther away from my lovely Mayo (and no, I'm not really interested in Mayo "West" if you must know).

They are so nice and so professional there. I think working there would be fantastic.

But also, making sure there is a strong church for you is almost as important as having your wife and family on board.

Visit a couple times to see what you think. Yes, everyone is really nice. Really.

S

Comment

DON'T GO - unless you are very sure you can tolerate the long, cold, windy winters. Talk to some residents of Rochester about their energy costs. Perhaps global warming will soften their winters.

I had a similar opportunity in 1976 and spent some time in Rochester checking the possibilities of moving from Oklahoma City to Rochester. I really like the city and the people I met. But, several trips to Rochester during the winter were indeed a shock. And, being away from family and friends - - I'd vote "Don't Move" if there’s any chance you might be there for an extended period of time.

Jobs come and go quickly. Be careful as to where you choose to put down your roots. You may find yourself living there for the rest of your life.

What activities do you enjoy in Portland? How would those activities port over to Rochester? You certainly won’t be taking day trips to the coast.

More recently I've been to Portland many times visiting relatives - - What a great place to live. I love the roses in Portland. I often wish I had "rooted" my family in the NW. Although my Dallas/Fort Worth area is a great place to live, summers can be brutal. Whereas, Portland just seems to rock along.
                          Last edited by BobLoyd; 04-27-2008, 07:06 PM.
                          HCM diagnosed 2002 @ Age 59
                          4/23/2008 Surgery recommended
                          Myectomy by Mayo Clinic on 5/22/2008
                          2009 - Enjoying an active lifestyle

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X