If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good bye Tonks... my sweet kitty

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good bye Tonks... my sweet kitty

Well just 2 short years ago I posted that my kitty of 13 years, Shana had passed away after a long illness. 2 months later I posted that we had a new family member, Tonks, yes named after the Harry Potter books, and she was a sweet little gray kitty. So here we are 2 years later and last night we had to but Tonks to sleep... sad but true. A few months ago she stopped eating and we did blood testing it was thought she had a case of feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) is a disease caused by a coronavirus infection. We had to wait for a few weeks and repeat the testing to confirm the diagnosis. If this was in fact the diagnosis FIP it is fatal. No time frame was provided as to how fast the FIP would cause death. Unfortunately, last night when we return home from work she was basicly lifeless on the floor. Adam, Becca and I took her to the vet and she was put to sleep.

After her death a procedure was done to confirm the FIP, which in fact it was.

Rest in peace my sweet little kitty - honestly I do not think Tonks was ever a "normal" cat, I think she was always a little mentally challanged, but she was loving, sweet, friendly and loved being with people. So heart broken I tell you all of the loss of my little sweety - may we have one more little angel watching over us...

God Bless Tonks.

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: Good bye Tonks... my sweet kitty

Lisa, I am sorry to hear about your kitty. Our pets are truly part of the family.

Comment

Lisa

I'm sad to read about your loss of Tonks. I've had a few pets (dogs) and each one had its own personality and special place in my heart. I smile every time I think of a "certain" thing he or she did to ease me through some difficult time in my life. Some how they know when we need them and show their affection appropriately. Hold on to your memories of Tonks.
      Esther

Comment

Lisa,

So sorry to hear about Tonks. My husband and I try not to think about the day when our pups Sadie and Scout will not be with us. Pets truly are part of the family and remind us that on some days, the only things that matter are long naps and good snacks!

Caroline
        Diagnosed with HCM 2003
        ICD 2004

Comment

My heart goes out to you guys.
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

So sorry to hear that. Fortunately, our old boy Toby is hanging in there. We're getting him a companion later in September.
            We're thinking of you at this difficult time.

Comment

Lisa, my condolences. A couple of years ago we lost a beloved cat who was far too young, due to, ironically, feline HCM. The adults in the household took it far harder than the kids. There will be other cats or pets, but every one is unique and special.

Best wishes
              Myectomy and mitral valve repair, April 2007, St. Luke's Hospital (NYC)

Comment

So Sorry... for your loss of Tonks ..I hope you are feeling better. Losing a pet for whatever reason really stinks..been there and share your pain as I remember similar loss.

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Lisa, my deepest heart felt sympathy at the loss of your Tonks. It sounds as though she left a definite piece of herself with you to cherish forever. I know she'll be waiting at the gates pacing and purring when it's your turn.

Comment

Lisa, I am very sorry to her of your loss. It is our little furry friends that are with us through thick and thin and it is just as painful to lose them as with any other member of our family.

Cats give us purr therapy and dogs give us lick therapy. All becuase they love us.... and we are warm and salty. I know mine is a comfort.

God speed Tonks.
                    --Kat
                    That which does not kill us, can really mess up our hair!

Comment

Our pets are usually a constant in our lives. We deal with them daily and they don't hold a grudge. Pets do become a part of our family and they have a special place in our hearts. My cat follows me around a lot of the time and I know I will miss him dearly some day. I hope you can feel the prayers we all send to you.

Shelly
                      Shelly
                      Choose to laugh instead of cry...it's prettier!
                      Remember...
                      You always have the option to change.

Diagnosed 1994 with no family history
                      AICD 10/06
                      Mayo Clinic Myectomy 11/07 Joe Dearani

Comment

Lisa, my condolences. Sometimes it's not any easier to deal with pet deaths than human deaths -- I know that I still mourn for two pets.

Be glad you were able to give this kitty a good home for so long.

Gordon
                        Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Working...
                        X