If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

applied again

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shirley-

Best of luck to you on Monday. Your husbands income is no issue for your Social Security Disability, but it does impact SSI - the application is usually made for both at the same time, even though it is very difficult for any adult to receive SSI. I think that the Social Security Administration sends the denials just so people will get discouraged and not continue. We got a lawyer for Alan's 4th (I think) appeal and he received it. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you. Good luck.

Ange

Comment

Shirley,

Best of luck with your SSI meeting. I hope you get treated with respect and can get the assistance that you need. Take care!

John
      41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

disability

Shirley, you may have more success with a lawyer. I turned mine over to one after my first denial. I had to go to court and got it the first time. The judge wanted to know about being able to work. I was very honest and told him there were days when I was able to work. I also told him there were lots of days that I could not work and that no one was willing to hire me to work just the days I felt like it. The lawyer was able to pull up precidents where other people with my same test values were given disability and I feel sure that is why I was given mine. Try get a lawyer that has a good word of mouth reputation for getting results with disability. Most will take it without money up front. Their fee comes out of your backpay. I pray you get your disability very soon.
        45 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in 1994. Myectomy at Cleveland Clinic 2002. Pacemaker NIH in 1999.

Comment

Hi Shirley

Good luck on Monday.

I have been told that in the near future I will need a heart transplant, but for now I can go on working. Some days I just want to go back to bed because of fatigue, shortness of breath, etc., but I keep pushing on.
          Esther

Comment

Shirley,

Ange is right, SSI is family income based and the Social Security Administration has to try to qualify you for that first even if you ask them not to. The type of benefits you want to apply for are called SSDI and they're not income based, they're health based. As long as you have enough work history to qualify for benefits then they will have a Dr review your health records and make a decision. You can make the approval process shorter if you get copies of your health records ahead of time. They'll still verify that what you sent them is correct, but they'll be able to start reading through your charts much earlier, then use the copies they obtain to verify what you sent them. When we did this for Beverly and our kids (if you're disabled and your kids are under 18 they can get benefits too) the process took about 90 days to get Beverly approved and about 3 additional weeks to get our kids approved.

Good luck!

Steve

Comment

Thanks Everyone

I have a feeling this is going to be a long haul project, I have to do something my husband can't do this anymore on his own he also has a heart condition but he just keeps plugging along, I don't want to lose our home because i can't work, my husband started kindergarden in this house and he will be 50 in march his family has lived here most of his life, I have told him I would try to go back to work part time but i don't know i could even do that, I just don't have any energy anymore and i can't breath after walking across my house and i don't think anyone would hire someone that has to wear Oxygen to cope

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Shirley ,

You will get it I am positive . If for some strange reason this does not happen this time , then you will need to get right back on it.

1. You will need to get a disability lawyer ( his fee has to be accepted and approved by the Federal Govt., so he will not be able to bilk you)

2. Get the records that your doctors have sent to social security and read them. Make sure your doctor has included a physical assessment eval...ie, Shirley cannnot lift objects greater then 10 lbs, cannot crawl , squat , bend, kneel etc. This is a very important eval for narrow visioned medicare screeners who somehow don't look at the picture or person sitting in front of them . Also the supportive letters that Lisa spoke offrom your cardiologist are very important.

When you get it, it will be retro active to the date of diagnosis that correlated to when you were not able to work... I think but, not sure there is a time constraint as to how far they will go back.

3 . Call your congressmans office and get him to listen to your story. An aid will take it all down and they will file on behalf of the congressman a petition of support/ interested party of you. This will not influence the judge , just give credence to your syory from a high authority.

Chances are if it goes this far a good cardiologist for the federal government and testifying for the federal govt will have read your case and file and instead of there being a hearing , he may convince the judge in your favor. Then it will be recorded that a hearing was not necessary.

That happened to me . The doctor for the govt said I met all criteria for permanent disability and it was one higher then the case was originally filed for. The judge shook his head and said , why is the govt wasting my time and taxpayers money? He quickly listened to the doctor as he appeared to jump in full support of me and dismissed the case after deciding on a date of disability. The doctor talked to me off record and said your heart is in bad shape you know that right? You know you could die at any time right? I was just so overwhelmed from the whole process all I could do was sob and shake my head yes. I thanked him for his concern and testimony and left victorious.

This will happen to you , you will get the disability and I do pray you do not have to follow any of my reccomendations and you get it Monday.

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I got it I got I got it

I was there for 2 hours but i got it SSDI, she told me it would be no problem in fact they are so sure that i'm getting it she took all my bank info for direct deposit I now have a splitting headache I guess it is the tention from today Number 3 was my magic number for appeals, She the case worker said i should have gotten it 2 years ago even before i had surgery, she said when watching my grandkids that was self employment and i didn't have to file taxes because it was under 40. 00 a week i was making but it still counted as incomei was bringing into the house so they said ok,
                  and i did wear my Oxygen in , I think i might start wearing it more i did feel a little better while wearing it today it did help with the shortness of breath, I just wanted to let you guys know what they said and thanks for all the kind words

Shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004
                  Husband: Ken
                  Son: John diagnosed 2004
                  Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Wonderful! Congratulations! Linda

Comment

Congrats!

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Way to go Shirley!!!

Joe Del
                        Joe Del

Diagnosed @ age 45 with HCM June 2004; ICD Implant: September 2004. Fifteen years prior was tested and told had an anxiety attack. Second ICD implanted May 5, 2009 with adding second lead.

My biggest part is the depression and now on disability.

Tested positive for HCM gene and all three children are negative.

Husband and father of three children: Son 18 and two daughters 13 and 7.

Comment

Shirley, that is great news! One hurdle, done and over with!!
                          Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

Shirley ,

I am so so happy for you. I just felt if I wrote a long list for you to do it would not be needed and you would get the SSDI. YAHOOOOO Now you can relax a bit right???

Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Congratulations!!!

One worry you won't have to deal with. It's about time.
                              Esther

Comment

Congratulation shirley iam so happy for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rose

Comment

Working...
                                X