If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An angel sits on my son's shoulder.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An angel sits on my son's shoulder.

Last night at 1:27 AM , I recieved a phone call that may forever change my feelings around all future celebrations of the 4th of July. It could very well have been a most intolerable day in all future celebrations , but instead it will always be a day I will think about how lucky a person I truly am.

The call came in , I was asleep but I sensed something was wrong as the whole evening had given me a sense of uneasieness and uncertainty. I could not pinpoint it just knew things weren't right. My 19 year old son had rolled his car over on the interstate , he was going too fast and was upset and had been out with friends. Decided to call it a night and head home. He was traveling in the high speed lane, cut off by another car(as witnessed by travelers heading in the same direction as he was traveling). He turned the wheel hard as by instinct , hit the cement jersey barrier, the car flipped on its roof and slid across the highway coming to rest on the low speed side of the highway. He had set out forgetting to put his seat belt on and just moments before the incident , buckled up. The car came to rest with him suspended upside down in the seat restraint. Covered with broken glass and feeling shoulder pain from the harness he was able to think his way through realizing the car could now be hit by other vehichles . He had managed to escape this possibility as his car carreened across the highway and as he heard the sounds of the traffic around him sreeching to a halt to miss hitting him. He crawled out the window and sat down on the cement curb.

How lucky indeed he was, how saved he was, and what a miracle of sorts it was for me his mom and the rest of my family to have things work this way when so so many times similar incidents end in tragedy. I have said it before and I will tell him again when he gets up. There are choices we make that can put our lives in jeopardy and there are miracles that happen and purpose to all our lives, this young fellow has had several oportunities to test all of our faith , I hope he is able to realize the blessing he has been given and make purpose from his gift of continued life.

Thank you for listening. Everyone have a VERY safe Holiday.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Miracles DO happen! I am so glad he was o.k. He had an angel watching over him, that's for sure!
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Pam,

What a story! I'm so glad to hear that it had a happy ending. When we're young we feel so invincible. I do believe that your son had an angel with him that night. He obviously has some very important work to do in this life....and it is so special that you are there to tell him that.

Best wishes to you and your family,

John
      41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Pam

He definetly had an angel sitting on his shoulder, and maybe it will slow him down i hope, but i know what you mean my son did the same thing at his age and lived to tell about it thank God

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Pam, I am glad your family will have a great 4th of July this year. Give your son a big hug, and tell him we are all glad that he is home and safe with his family. Happy 4th of July.
          Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

So thankful that this had a happy ending. Miracles do occur.
            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Pam,

So glad this story has a happy ending.
              Someone was looking out for him.

Stay well,
              Stuart
              Cleveland Myectomy Club
              August 31, 2004

Comment

Pam, Miracles do happen. I'm glad you are able to tell us that your son has been so fortunate. I hope he feels well and has minimal leftover discomforts. I'm sure when he has time to think back, he will realize just how lucky he truly is! Take care, Linda

Comment

Pam

When I read the beginning of your post, I thought the ending was going to be heartfelt. I'm glad I was wrong.

Oh yes, I am certain that there was an angel watching out for your son. He has something to do here on earth until he is called home.

What were his injuries?

Take care
                  Esther

Comment

Thank you everyone for your wonderfull support . Yesterday was a day of very mixed emotions for me. I was joyous to still have my son here but a basket case of emotion, exhausted ( from being at the hospital all night ), wracked from the shear fright and woosh of adrenalin , so it was a bad HCM day consequently. I went to sleep at 8:30 PM and slept til 6AM today,a long comforting sleep, something that I have not had in years. That angel of my son's turned to me last night. The angel has reminded him through all his aches and especially the constant pain on his shoulder that he has been given a gift, a gift indeed.

Esther, miraculously , Tim has very few cuts and scrapes none requiring medical attention. He walked out of that ER without more then the pain on his shoulder , that shoulder, that wonderfull shoulder to remind him of his angel.

To share with you a bit more. The strange thing that happened last week on the way back to Rhode Island Hospital for my follow-up after new pacer was that my mom pointed out to me a tow truck service that we passed by. It was where my cousin who was 30 at the time,( now 12 years ago), and who died from cardiomyopathy had worked. It was his last job he had before he died and the one he liked the most because people who were broken down were always glad to see him and he could help. I thought as we passed by, how I missed Bruce and what a great person he was, kind and caring to all , always looking out for someone. My mind immediately went to his grave as I remembered that someone had placed a toy tow truck at his grave site 12 years ago and it is still there. I wondered for a moment, are you still watching over us Bruce? I had a warm essence come over me and felt it was true .. he is still with us.

My son's accident the other night was almost exactly at this area up on the highway overhead , very near this towing service that Bruce worked for before his death. We found out yesterday that this towing service, where Bruce worked has Timothy's( my son) car, and we will see his car and go there today. Wait, it gets better. Bruce's sister Cheryl got the call from the police first on Sunday night that Tim was in the accident. [ Cheryl moved into my grandmothers old house across the street, with her family about 10 years ago. As my health deteriorated over the years , Cheryl looked out over my son as a second son to her. They even took him on vacations with them. She has become like his other mom. ] Cheryl called us to soften the blow for me the other night and then drove me and Sarah (the daughter whio lives with me) to the hospital. We passed by the tow truck service again. At this time we did not know where the accident had happened or any of the details.

I know it may sound like I am over the edge,( trust me I am not) but all my life as I became more and more positive and spiritual about things that happen, ( especially to me and those I love), I have been given the gift to find these validations about life and my beliefs and our loved ones who have gone before us. I know you share with me it is often a long walk over the tragic things that can happen and a passing of time before we can arrive at a sence of peace , calmness and return to positive thinking . This is not the first time something like this has happened and probably will not be the last. The outcome to this one is thankfully a great one . I bet many of you are now reflecting on similar occurences that you have also had.

I think that as we have all recently experienced the loss of Lisa Inman , we can put credence once again to the fact that there really must be some great force beyond our tangible world. I believe the spirit of my cousin Bruce just brought that reality and belief once again to my life. I believe Bruce was that angel that was sitting on my son's shoulder in the wee hours of the 4th of July 2005.

My Best to all of you.

Pam
                    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Pam, I am so happy that your story had such a great ending. I'm just reeling with the thought that moments before Tim didn't have his seatbelt on. Let him know that he's in my thoughts from afar and that I hope his shoulder hurts just a little for a few days to remind him of the angel on his shoulder.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Pam,

Yes, I believe in angels...or whatever you want to call them. I do think someone was watching over your son and will continue to. I am very happy that all has worked out so well.

Be well,
                        Lisa
                        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                        Currently not obstructed
                        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Pam-

I am so glad those angels were there for you and your son. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Ange

Comment

I am so glad your son is okay after the accident. His Guardian Angel was with him (and I'm sure will always be).

I am so happy that all is well and that his Angel and God's forces were there with him.

Huge Hugs to You Pam,
                            Sincerely,
                            Eve
                            49 yrs. old
                            Diagnosed at 31.
                            Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                            First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                            Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                            Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                            My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                            2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Pam,

I'm so glad your son walked away from this I believe in Angles too. I've had way to many of them save my butt! In June of 2000 I was driving down the interstate and a truck lost the retread on the tire. It it my truck head on. I lost control and flipped it on the interstate during rush our traffic. I didn't hit any one else and I walked out of the hospital later that day. With an odd bruise though I had all of the numbers of my gear shifter imprinted on my leg! Two months later I was saved yet again. It was a warm night in August. Since, my truck had been totaled I was riding my bike to work until I could get another car. Well, I was hit from behind thrown up and over it and was almost ran over by another car. I literally could see their bumper when I opened my eyes! I also walked away from this incident with subluxed hip. If that is not proof of guardian angels I don't know what is. People say I have the worst luck in the world but from what I have walked away from. I say I'm pretty darn lucky.

Much, imporvement on your sons shoulder!

Mary S.

Comment

Working...
                              X