If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hcm Is Not All That Bad

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dawn-C Find out more about Dawn-C
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hcm Is Not All That Bad

Mom's lived with her HCM for 3 years now, even had a septal myectomy. I thought going thru that was bad. I even thought seeing her with less energy was bad (only able to shop for 2 hours instead of all day!).

I just wanted to remind you all to be happy that you or your loved one being alive with HCM, even with all of it's problems, is a blessing!!

Mom got dx'd with pancreatic cancer, very late stage. She has only a few months to live. Needless to say I'm sad, angry, depressed, etc....

I just needed to remind people to be happy regardless of what life hands you (HCM), because you never know......

Dawn
    daughter of mom with HOCM (CMC 8/2001)

Dawn I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's cancer. I understand the anger and frustration you feel. My own mother just had a bone marrow transplant for cancer less than a month ago. Spend as much time with your mom as you can and enjoy her the most you can. You'll never regret it! We're here for you if you need to vent or just talk.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Dawn.

I am sorry to hear about your mother. May you experience much peace during these next months.

Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Dawn, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. She will be in my prayers as will the rest of your family. Take care, Linda

Comment

Dawn ,

This is a very sad time for you and your family. With all that your mom has survived it has got to be next to impossible to learn that she has terminal cancer let alone begin to accept what is approaching. My heart goes out to you . I will keep you and your family in my prayers and pray that your mom has peace and comfort in her final days.

Blessings,

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Dawn

I know what you are going through and please keep in touch if you need anything just ask we are here to lend an ear and i will keep you and your entire family in my prayers

Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Dawn,

Like everyone else, I am so sorry about your Mom. Please vent here if you need to. We all will listen, and sometimes, that's just what you need.

Debbie

Comment

Dawn,

I am sorry you mother has this new diagnosis, it must not only be hard on her but your entire family. What you said is very true and in fact your mother is a very typical HCM patient, by this I mean she learned to live with HCM and unfortunately a different illness is now threatening her life. MOst people with HCM live with the disease and live rather normally until something else pops up and changes the picture.

I hope she is feeling as well as she can. I also hope you are staying strong through this process. We are here if you need us.

You and your mother are in my prayers,
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Dawn-
                  I'm so sorry your Mom has Pancreatic Cancer. I truly understand the devestation this disease brings. My Best Friend lost her 5 year battle with it last January. My Aunt (who is like my Mother) was dx last year, had a "whipple", last April & now just learned it has spread to her Liver. Watching her suffer has been tough, so I know you are having a very rough time.
                  My prayers are with you & your Family.
                  RONNIE

Comment

Dawn,

I am so sorry to hear of your mom's diagnosis.

I will keep your mom and your family in my prayers.
                    God Bless.

Hugs,
                    Eve
                    49 yrs. old
                    Diagnosed at 31.
                    Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                    First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                    Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                    Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                    My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                    2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Dawn,

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. You are obviously a very strong person to be able to deal with all this, and that will certainly help her in the coming months. I'll be thinking of you both.

Jim
                      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thank You

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.

Dawn
                        daughter of mom with HOCM (CMC 8/2001)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X