If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Inman Find out more about Lisa Inman
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow!

I teach at a small rural private school (about 70 families, preschool to 6th grade.) This school is a labor of love for many of us, and an incredible community of supportive people. With my myectomy coming up just after school is out, I sent home a one page letter to all of the families letting them know about the surgery, what it was for, why now (because I'd found the HCMA and all you fine folks and finally learned about HCM and also that there are HCM specialty clinics), why Mayo Clinic, and the expectation that I'd be back working at school good to go in the fall. My purpose in sending the letter was to offer clear communication (a cornerstone of our community at school), save me and others from telling the story over and over, stem the grapevine that would inevitably happen if it just picked up that the lead teacher of the younger class was having heart surgery (the grapevine could have me dying in crisis very quickly....) and also to inform my many friends in the parent community so that I could have their support and well wishes, especially on the days that I have to go and actually do it.

Today at the end of the school day they called me in to an all school gathering that I knew nothing about--all of the kids and teachers, and many of the parents. They gave me a bouquet of flowers and a card of thanks and support for my upcoming surgery. Before giving me the card they passed it around the group and had every child hold it for a moment. I would have been thrilled with just the acknowledgement, the expressed love, and the pretty and thoughtfully worded card I received. But, inside the card was a check for $2,000 from the parents as a group AND a note saying that they had also pre-paid two weeks' stay at the Staybridge Suites across the street from the hospital (It is very nice, I looked at it when I was in Rochester--has full kitchen with utensils, desk, sofa and chairs, etc. plus breakfast everyday etc. etc.) This totals $3,400. This was all raised spontaneously by parents in the last few days to upgrade us to a hotel nicer than the cheaper one we had decided to book to necessarily save money, and to otherwise offset travel and medical expenses. I was astonished. I wasn't surprised at their generosity--they are that kind of people. But this is not a rich school. Some are well enough off, but many work at very basic jobs (grocery store checkers, pizza delivery, hair cutting, etc.) and really make a sacrifice to pay tuition because they want their kids to come to Five Acre School. The parent group works hard for months to fundraise a few thousand dollars a year for the school. It is hard to communicate to you how much money this is in our rural school community--it is totally unprecedented. The last couple of weeks, I felt so much love and support from their well wishes alone. And here they come through for us in this amazingly thoughtful and generous way. We figure that the two trips to Minnesota for evaluation and surgery (airfare and hotel) plus out-of-pocket medical costs not covered by insurance will cost us about $10,000 this year. We can pull it together, and raid savings as needed, for which I feel very fortunate--but a non-public school preschool teacher and a one man cabinet shop do not earn big bucks and this will help us so much. And there is no doubt that we go to Minnesota uplifted and literally nested by this incredible group of people and their love. I am so fortunate. I wanted to tell my other friends right away--first my husband, then my sister, but very importantly you. Without you I wouldn't even know about this path, much less be on it. Best wishes to everyone, Lisa Inman

Lisa.

What a wonderfully uplifting story! I was moved almost to tears as I read your post. If only our world had more of the kind of generous people in your community. They are a testament to the goodness of heart that can and does exist. By sharing you have spread that generous heart even further. Thanks so much.

Peace,

Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Lisa,

That is such wonderful news!!! I am sitting at the Annual Meeting crying--what a wonderful community you have. Best of luck to you.

Kelly
      Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

Comment

Lisa , Your story had a two fold impact on me. It made me cry at how understanding, heartwarming, wonderfull and supportive people can be and what a great community you have. Your story also reminded me of when I was first diagnosed NOV. 7th of 2000 .

I was advised to stop work immediately. All my fellow workers decided that year to donate their personal christmas donations to me and my family , they donated enough sick time and vacation time to carry me with pay checks to the end of the year. They gave me a party with so many usefull household gifts and decorated a beautifull Christmas wreath and used $800 dollars as part of the decorations. As if all that did not floor me enough, the CEO tapped into a "special" fund that allowed me to collect a pay for 6 more months.

There truly are angels among us, you and I have been surrounded by some. I hope others here have had the good fortune to have met some very special angels in their life.

Thank you for sharing your story and reminding me of the special people in our lives.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( gradi[email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Lisa,

What an amazing story. It gives me renewed faith in people and everthing. I just know that your surgery will be very successful and that you will have a smooth and uneventful recovery.

Best of luck,

Paul (also from WA State)

P.S don't forget to give us an update as soon as you are well enough
          Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Lisa,

What a wonderful group of people you "get" to work with and for. I was really moved by the generosity that you recieved. I am feeling a bit of the same at work also. Yesterday I recieved calls from all of the General Managers in my region wishing me well with my surgery next week. It sure can make you feel special and really put you in the right frame of mind going into surgery.
            You are just getting back a little bit of the time, love and effort you have put into teaching your communites children!

Best wishes,

John
            41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Lisa

your story did move me to tears and even as i'm writing this that was a great gift to know it helps in all different ways

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Wow, indeed. Special people going the extra mile for a special person. You do have a nice community!

I'm sure you'll do great at the Mayo!
                Rob
                --Living life on the edge .. of a continent!
                Charter member: Tinman Club

Comment

Lisa, you certainly know a lot of amazing people. I'm so happy that they are there for you both spiritually and monetarily. You must be so proud to be part of that network. You are truly blessed.

When my husband was diagnosed we had a similar experience on a much smaller scale. We lived in Japan at the time and they were sending him to Ohio for an ICD. We thought this was the end of his Air Force career. All 5 of us left for the States on literally 24 hours notice. The night before we left a neighbor called us over to get out house key in case anything was needed while we were gone and she gave me a card. She had gone to the other families in the courtyard and had taken donations and signatures on the card. They gave us $75. I couldn't believe that these people who didn't know us too well were willing to give us money.

My only point is I know how overwhelmed you must've been when they had the special meeting just for you.

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                  3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Tears are streaming down my face! It sounds like all the LOVE you have given is coming back to you! Goodness has a way of doing that!
                    I know you will be comfortable @ Staybridge, as will your Husband while you are @ St Marys.
                    Good Luck & G-d Bless
                    RONNIE

Comment

Lisa,

I have to tell you, your story really made my day. It reminded me actually of the movie, Mr. Holland's Opus where the students and faculty call him into the auditorium. That scene always brings a tear to me eye, and yours had much the same effect.

What a great bunch of people you have for support.

I will never forget the enormous amount of support I received from all of my friends here on this board when I was going through my surgery last year. I could not have asked for better.

Jim
                      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Dear Lisa,
                        Your story is very touching! That brings a tear to my eye when people get together for each other. Thank you for sharing the warm hearted touching sendoff and helpful community efforts that you are a part of in your town. We all could learn a little bit from that story.

Please keep us up to date on your surgery and recovery. I wish you well and hold you in pray through your travels.

Love and God's Speed in your recovery,
                        Sharon

Comment

How awesome. When is your surgery? I will be in Rochester on July 9th and if you are there I would love to visit you. I had my myectomy there in 1981. Best of luck and I am so glad to hear of your wonderful support.
                          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

This is very cool

These are very kind and generous gestures. You are lucky to have so many people in your community care about you.

I wish you all the best. You will do great at Mayo.

Hugs,
                            Eve
                            49 yrs. old
                            Diagnosed at 31.
                            Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                            First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                            Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                            Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                            My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                            2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Surgery

Lisa my son had his surgery at the Mayo also. Same surgery..went wonderfully... no problems as they are an amazing team and the nurses who work in the ICU know their "stuff" . I did the research and found them to be be top on the list for this type of surgery. I live in the metro area of St Paul/Mpls and this surgery is not done here...only at the Mayo. I wish you the best of luck and a return to great health. My son is like a new person..... he enjoys great health and even played basketball in his alumni tournament this past March. (He is 30 and had surgery 3 years ago) Who is your surgeon?? Do you know yet?
                              Ag

Comment

Working...
                              X