If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel advice

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Jall Find out more about Jall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel advice

I got an appointment with the great Dr. M himself for next week in Minneapolis. I haven't been in Minneapolis in 30 years, and only vaguely recall it is cold beyond belief (at least to someone who lives in the desert Southwest). Any recommendations on hotels near the medical center (I am neither a Trump Tower nor Motel 6 kind of guy). More importantly, any restaurant recommendations worthy of celebrating good news, or for bad news, crying in my beer.
    Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
    Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

I can tell you that they have housing on site at Minneapolis Heart. Call Terry in Dr. Marons office and she can give you the information. It is nice, not too fancy and not too bleak! I recall some nice resturants down by the Hyatt near Nicollet Ave Cross Street: Between Washington Avenue S and 13th Street S
    Also this was a nice spot - you may want to give it a try:
    Basil's Restaurant 710 Marquette AveMinneapolis, MN 55402 Phone: (612) 376-7404

Best wishes,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Jall

I went to see the great Dr. Maron also you will really like him, he will give give you the exam of a lifetime believe me

But Lisa is right the Inn at the Institute is a good place to stay we found it was first come first serve so as soo as you get there get your room, we took a cab from the airport to the Institute, and then went to the Mall to eat and walk around for a while, I sat more then i walked at that time

I was in the office for 9 hours getting tests and they keep you hopping, so i hope everything turns out for you and you get your answers

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up staying at the Millenium hotel which is in downtown. The Wasie Center next to the heart clinic certainly looked comfortable and would have been more convenient, but a downtown hotel gave more options to see the City and sometimes it is helpful to be away from the hospital environment. The Millenium was $100 a night which is an okay rate for a three star hotel.

The clinic advises you not to eat or drink for 4 hours prior to your appointment (for stress echo) which for any morning appointment pretty much means you will miss both breakfast and lunch. By 4:00 when I got out, I was pretty much ready to eat at the first place that was open. We fortunately wandered into an Irish Pub downtown called The Local which had a nice grilled salmon.

All in the all, the clinic and staff are very impressive.
        Jall

Diagnosed with unobstructed HCM in 2004 after a bad experience playing tennis
        Graduated to obstructed HCM by Dec, 2008.

Life outside of HCM: Law, Photography, Tennis, Music, raising kids and camping

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X