If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy to See Another Birthday :)

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy to See Another Birthday :)

Howdy All,

I haven't had much opportunity to post lately (except for the sporadic break from schoolwork), and i do want to apologize for not keeping in touch with everyone. I honestly don't know what i was thinking taking on 18 graduate credits this term... and just two months after my myectomy to boot. LoL. I guess i was feeling so good i thought i could tackle anything.

I have been doing very well though, and with the exception of having to pull a few all-nighter's lately, drinking more caffeine than you would care to know about, and feeling like i was going to start sobbing uncontrollably at 3:00 am this morning for no good reason... i am feeling very very good!

The thing is... a year ago today i would never have even thought about doing some of the things i'm able to do now. And with the way things were headed, i feel quite fortunate tonight to have even seen another birthday today. I honestly cannot help but feel extremely grateful to have been given this second opportunity at life, and as far as i'm concerned, the folks in Cleveland performed a real miracle for me.

So on this, my ---- birthday, i want to thank each and every one of you for all the guidance, support, and friendship you've extended to me. I could never have gotten this far without ya.

And for all of you Douglas Adams fans out there who have read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and i am becoming increasingly alarmed at the number of folks who haven't enjoyed his works)... as of today i have officially become the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Come on now... shout it out if you know it!

Take care all, and thanks for letting me blather on about pretty much nothing at all

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: Happy to See Another Birthday

Ahhh - you're 42!

Happy Birthday Jim!
    • 1995: Brigham & Women’s Hospital - diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation
    • 2004: Falkner Hospital – diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure
    • 2004: Tufts NEMC– diagnosed with “End Stage” Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
    • 2005: Genetic Test – Laboratory for Molecular Medicine. HCM confirmed – missense mutation detected in TNNT2 gene
    • 2009: Brigham & Women’s - Third cardioversion begin Amiodarone for AFib
    • 2011: Brigham & Women’s - Medtronic ICD implant

Comment

Boz...

You have just re-affirmed my faith in humanity. Take care, you cool frood, and thanks for the message

Jim

Comment

Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM !!!!!

And many, many more !!!!!

Hugs

Eileen
          49 yrs. old
          Diagnosed at 31.
          Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
          First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
          Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
          Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
          My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
          2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Happy birthday JIM!

I am very happy you have done so well. As you know I have followed your progress as long as you have been on this board and have seen a change in you as time goes by. It happens I just celebrated my birthday a few weeks ago as well...big 40!!!! I have to say I never imagined I would ever see the 40th so it is good to celebrate another one. I think people who have nothing to concern them that another year has gone by forget how nice it is to be ABLE to celebrate that one has gone by. Best wishes to you and keep us posted!!

Doug
            NEMC's (Boston) First Myectomy 7-22-2003

Comment

Can I join this club too?

I will be 40 on Monday which is the 20th. I am also grateful to the miracles of modern science, or else I wouldn't still be here either. I had a brain tumor removed almost 3 years ago which if left alone would have killed me, and a ventriperitoneal shunt implanted to treat the hydrocephalus which also would have killed me, and an ICD implanted the next year (it hasn't fired yet, but I am glad to know I have it if I need it)! and a melanoma (very early stage) removed this year.

I am thinking of having a party next year (it sucks having a birthday around X-mas - noone ever pays attention or cares) asking everyone to bring their favorite medical device to the party in celebration of my living into my 41st year.

Cheers to all you Sagitarrians out there!

Cynthia
              Daughter of Father with HCM
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Happy Birthday Jim . It is great to celebrate it with you. You have done very well all the way around and the spirits are shining on you. Enjoy your good carma.

Also Doug and Cynthia. Best Wishes to you too.

You have all added to my list of favorite people born in December. Sagitarians stand up , this Gemini wishes you all many many more to come.

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Happy Birthday, one and all!

Comment

Hey Jim,
                    Having a birthday is no big deal – I have one almost every year, and not only that, my wife has one every second or third year also.

If I stand on one foot I’m only 36, which makes you six years older then me. Gee!

Time flies like an arrow,
                    Fruit flies like a banana.

All the best buddy,
                    Burt

Comment

Happy 42 Jim....

Tigger1
                      " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Happy Birthday Jim and I wish you well in your studies.
                        Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                        So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                        Good luck and stay well.
                        Glen

Comment

Jim

Happy Birthday i just had one on the 27th of November i turned 47 , but i'm grateful to still be here too, you take care of you we don't want you back in the hospital any time soon from exhaustion, i don't think i could do an all nighter myself and still be able to cope, well i hope you have many many more

And everyone else Happy Birthday

Shirley
                          Diagnosed 2003
                          Myectomy 2-23-2004
                          Husband: Ken
                          Son: John diagnosed 2004
                          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Happy Birthday Jim, what a difference a year makes. I am glad to hear you are feeling great and wish you well for the future. Don't work too hard!!! Take care

Happy Birthday Cynthia too, and a Belated birthday wish to Doug and Shirley!!

H.a.P.p.Y B.i.R.t.H.d.A.y!!!

Pam
                            It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Thanks Everyone!

Happy Birthday to Cynthia, Doug and Shirley! Don't forget folks... 40 is the new 30... so we're all in our thirties.

Jim

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X