If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

36 years old - like it or not!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 years old - like it or not!

Normally I am the type of person to want my birthday to pass and not make much mention of the event. There is no reason - believe it or not I would rather be understated and low key about such issues. This year I have a much different feeling about my birthday. It is not a good one. I am sharing my feelings with you because many of you know what I am taking about. I will turn 36 years old on August 9, 2004. My sister and dear friend Lori turned 36 years old on January 9, 1995, she died 6 months later. Lori was my “older sister”; in 1995 -36 seemed rather “older” than I was and not as “young” as it is. As I sit here on the eve of my 36th birthday I am feeling rather angry and cheated. I am struck over and over with “this is all she got!”, “she was taken from her children too young”, “I lost my sister too soon” and similar feelings. I cannot avoid the question of my own mortality. I think of how much I/we have yet to accomplish and that I need much more time to achieve all of the goals I have set my life. I KNOW that I am blessed with better health care than Lori was and I hope to have all the time I need to complete all I feel I must (at this rate I will need at least 30 more years!).

How will I spend my 36th birthday? I will be taking my daughter to the Sussex County farm and horse show – now known as the NJ State Fair in the morning. Becca has taken up English style riding and has already been in her first show! Next year she may compete at the State Fair! At 6:30pm we are back in Lyndhurst NJ to receive the very generous proceeds from the 1st annual Lyndhurst Police Department -K. Von Rapacki - 5K Run for the HCMA. The timing was a coincidence but I could not think of a better way to spend my 36th birthday. My family will be with me, the wonderful people of the Lyndhurst PD and of course the wonderful Von Rapacki family will share the evening with us.

I cannot stop the hands of time – so like it or not I will be 36 tomorrow. I have learned many lessons in my life and one of which is that you must make the best of what you are handed in life, and turning 36 is certainly a good thing.

I am very grateful to have such wonderful friends those here at home and all of you from all over the world. I have been blessed with a wonderful family. I am thankful for my health – good days and bad. I will make a birthday wish with you all--simply this-- that the HCMA grow and provide help to those in need and expand our reach to teach the world about HCM!

Thank you all for being a part of my life – I look forward to sharing the next 36 with you all!

Sincerely,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: 36 years old - like it or not!

Oh Lisa

I share your thoughts about your sister, my brother was 47 when he died and that is what i will be in November of this year and it does get you thinking doesn't it .... but we do have better health care than he did and he chose to live the way he did and for that i have to admire him he was a strong man and i do miss him dearly as i'm sure you miss Lori but they are watching over us and we will make it they will help us

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Happy Birthday Lisa,
      I will probably be a bit busy tomorrow, so let me wish you a happy birthday today.

Thirty six huh? I’m thirty-six also, but with me it’s thirty-six on each foot. Have a wonderful time with Becka, your husband, and all your friends all over the world. We all sure love you.

Roses are Red,
      Violets are blue,
      We all sure love Lisa,
      And - - I forget the rest of it.
      Burt

Comment

HAPPY

BIRTHDAY

LISA

Stuart & Barbara
        Cleveland Myectomy Club
        August 31, 2004

Comment

Lisa,

All of our hearts ache for you, but all of our hearts rejoice for you as well. Your sister's death at 36 has saved more brothers and sisters for all of us than we can possibly count. So, please know that we understand your loss, but also know that we want to wish you a

VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!

Rhoda

Comment

Happy birthday to you-
            Happy birthday to you-
            We all owe you so much, Lisa
            Happy birthday to you

Comment

Lisa,
              I agree with Rhoda 100%. We are so sorry that you lost your sister at such a young age. Just remember it is because of you that many other people will be here alot longer. I am sure your sister would be sooo proud to see what you have done and the lives that you have touched in her name. We appreciate you!!!!!!

Have a WONDERFUL, BLESSED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!
              2.6 Septal Measurement
              ICD Aug 2010 (pushed into it over 6 abnormal beats...hate it!!!)
              "I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"
              ~Steel Magnolia's~

Comment

Happy Birthday Lisa,
                Have a wonderful day with your family.
                Nancy

Comment

Happy Birthday, Lisa!
                  You are allowed to have your sad moments, and I acknowledge you fears and concerns. Know from all of us here your sister, Lori, her short life and your ideals are the reason so many are grateful for their better quality of life. Blessings to you and yours on this glorious day! Your angels will surround you today and throughout the year as we all celebrate your life!

Love and Light,
                  Sharon

Comment

Hi Lisa
                    What can I say? I agree with all the postings that have been shared here. I have learned many things since I've become a member and talking to you a few weeks ago helped me answer so many questions about Michael's passing. You are a woman we all look up to and depend on, maybe sometimes WAY TOO OFTEN, but I know you enjoy helping people that don't know where to turn. What do you think life would be for them if it wasn't for your compassion......very lonely and so much uncertainty. Where would they go? Who would they contact for answers, answers that are right on the money! You can be trusted for the best recommendations and above all, the caring from your heart. I know that it is because of the loss of your sister that you have all these feelings and have made it your life to go on to learn more about HCM. Please think of the good both you and Lori are doing for so many people thorough the country. I know your Angel, Lori, is smiling
                    I hope you've had a spectacular day today and many, many more.
                    BTW...you are still a spring chicken...lol
                    Esther

Comment

Happy Birthday, Lisa.
                      May you have long days and happy years

Comment

Lisa

Wishing you the Happiest of Birthdays! You have given so much of yourself, to so many. You touched so many Lives & made them richer.

Have a Happy Happy Birthday and Many, Many More
                        RONNIE

Comment

a Happy Birthday to you, a Happy Birthday to you! (singing - my daughter loves singing happy birthday!)

The Brown Family
                          \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Comment

Lisa, Happy Birthday twin. I am 58 today. I know how you must feel about your sister but you have done so many wonderful things in her honor she would be proud. I lost my dad when he was 59 from HCM and I now know how yourng that was. Now, that I have been given another birthday to celebrate, I will celebrate today and March 19th. Today I had another biopsy and received another 0 which is the greatest givt I could receive. Have a great day.
                            Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                            ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                            Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                            Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Thank you all very much - you have all helped to make this a very special birthday!!

I am happy and proud to announce that the Lyndhurst Police Department - Kevin Von Rapacki 5K memorial run has lead to a donation of $10,000.00! I was given the check this evening!!! (New pictures will be added tonight to the photo page).

What a birthday surprise!!!

Thanks to all of your warm wishes and very very thoughtful posts - they do mean the world to me.

Sincerely,

Lisa
                              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                              Currently not obstructed
                              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X