If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok Guys and Gals

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok Guys and Gals

I did something lastnight i haven't done in a while i went to a concert and today i'm feeling it let me tell you....... but it was great, we saw Travis Trit in concert he puts on a great show, my hubby didn't want to take me because of all the problems i have been having but what the heck....... you only live once and i have wanted to see him for years now and we got VIP seating from my husbands boss..... my husband told them that i really liked Travis Tritt and he gave my husband free tickets...... and said enjoy, my hubby says rest today..... he went to play golf today.... i figure that being i'm going into the hospital next week so if he tells me i can't do things like that anymore then i would have seen this guy Travis Tritt, i do know that i have a handicap placard now but just to walk from the car to the seat was rough but worth every bit of it

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Re: Ok Guys and Gals

I'm glad you had such a good time!
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Shirley
      I'm glad you went to the concert and had such a great time. Did I read your post correctly? You had a hard time getting from your car to the show!!! My that's awful. Are you going into the hospital for a surgery?
      Tammy

Comment

Hi Shirley,
        You reminded me – I might just bring everybody up-to-date with my situation. First, in this heat I have trouble just walking to the car, let alone getting from the car to a store. However, I now have a Buzz around scooter, and I can go just about anywhere again. It’s small and fits neatly into the trunk of my car, yet is rated for 50 pounds more then I weigh. It is absolutely great to be free again.

I mentioned earlier that my cardiologist quit the group he was in, and the replacement Dr. was hopeless. Since I was in the hospital so many times last year I was assigned a high risk case manager by the insurance company, and I use her to run interference for me. I had her check around for a cardio who was conversant with HCM, and she got an appointment for me to be seen tomorrow, as I have some symptoms. I’ll see how this new guy works out.

I also got a letter from my old cardio who is opening an individual practice across the hall from my PCP on September first, but will be seeing emergency patients in the area hospitals during the month of August. The one hitch is that he says I would have to get the premium insurance coverage. I have no idea what that means as the insurance company only has one type of coverage as far as I’ve heard. I will call my caseworker tomorrow and find out what this is all about. If this involves a monthly premium, and the new guy works out well – I’ll have a decision to make.

So that’s about it. My chest is tight on and off – about eight hours a day, but the heart pains have lessened. Problem is my shoulders and left arm often get involved, I have a frequent dry cough, I’m short of breath if I do anything, my legs are flooded, my ankles look like small grapefruit, and I kick my shoes off to ease the swelling in my feet. With only the idiot for a cardiologist, I have been afraid to go to the ER, but now things may be changing. If I get my silly butt thrown in the hospital, I hope I get back out in time to celebrate my birthday a week from Saturday. A few more days will tell the tale.

Oh, buy the way, I’m beginning to get a handle on my diabetes – I think. Of course I’m now up to 155 units of insulin a day, plus the pills. Saw my PCP Tuesday and she said I have to get my lipids down. She then looked at the drugs I was already taking for it (3), and said there is nothing else to take. I guess each of the maladies are fighting with the others to see which one kills me, and as long as they are stalemated I go my merry way.

Good luck with your tests next week.
        Burt

Comment

Bert,
          It sounds like that premium insurance may be worth the money at any cost!
          I'll be praying that you get the help you need. We need you on the board to keep us laughing!
          Rhoda

Comment

Hi, all,
            I just went to visit Shirley in the hospital since she was not too far from my home. I also got to meet her husband, Ken. She had a stress echo, which showed little or no gradient (no significant change since the myectomy, although she felt that she could see a small change). She should be having a catherization about now. She seems to be in good spirits, but needs answers. Her fluid retention has decreased some since being hospitalized, but other than that, she has not really gotten any answers so far. Dr. Gilligan told her that if the catherization does not show anything, then the problem may be her stiff heart. If that is the case, she will just have to learn to live with it, he said. So, she is really hoping for some answers this afternoon.

Rhoda

Comment

Thanks for the update. I'll say another prayer for her.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Rhoda,
                As it turned out the cardiologist I saw today seems very capable, and appears to understand HCM. Funny thing, he pronounces HOCM as ‘Hokum.’ I’d never heard that before. However, I do think I’ll try him for awhile. He ordered chest X-rays, a stress test, and blood tests. He’s also asking my PCP to have a scan of the arteries in my legs done. (My last ECHO was done in March.)

As I said before, my old cardiologist would require that I switch to a PPO plan, which would cost an additional $65 a month, but would really wind up costing me many thousands of dollars a year extra. For example, I was hospitalized 8 times in a twelve month period last year. The bills ranged from 24 to 96 thousand each. Under my present plan it would cost me one hundred dollars per stay. Under the PPO I would be responsible for 30% of the Medicare allowable bill. If the ninety six thousand dollar bill had a Medicare allowable portion of only 1/3, I would be responsible for ten thousand dollars on that bill alone. Drugs are now covered with only a token co-payment (and we both use a lot). Under the PPO only the generic drugs would be covered. Buying from Canada would cost additional thousands a year – all to be seen by one doctor, when this new guy seems up on his game, and comes highly recommended.

The choice was easy.
                Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X