If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so that's what you look like,Burt!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so that's what you look like,Burt!

Burt, just saw your picture.....you look younger than 71! How do you import a picture into the avatar??
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: so that's what you look like,Burt!

Yeah, I look younger then my age – always have. When I returned from Korea and was home awhile I went on a date to New York City. At that time the drinking age was 18 and I had turned 25.

We went to a Chinese restaurant and ordered dinner, and we both ordered a drink. They accepted my 23 year old date’s drink order without a problem, but carded me. In those days the New York driver’s license did not carry a picture, so I gave the waiter both my license and my draft card. He refused to believe they were mine and would not serve me a drink. I said, “You have the right to refuse service for anybody you wish – and I have the right to not frequent a place that picks and chooses what they will serve me.” With that I got up, and my date and I walked out of the restaurant. We ate somewhere else – and had a drink with dinner. Looking younger doesn’t always work to your advantage. However, of late, I like it just fine.

Now to the fun and games of getting your picture on your postings.

First, you have to get the picture into your computer. If you have a digital camera or a scanner this part is easy. If not, have a friend do it and email it to you as an attachment.

Second, you have to have a webpage or have access to a free public one. Obviously your own would be better as you then have complete control of it. Most internet suppliers also offer free space for your webpage, although a few may not. If your supplier offers you the space, follow their instructions to activate your own webpage.

Third, you now need an HTML tool to get your picture from your computer onto your webpage. There are a number of free software packages available. I used First Page 2000 from Evrsoft.com. They are at http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml
    After you download it, execute it and follow the instructions on how to put your picture on the webpage.

Fourth, you are at the last turn, and heading for home. Go to the HTMA boards and activate ‘Profile’ at the top of the page. At the very bottom of your profile is the Avatar Control Panel with an entry block where you enter the full address of your picture in your webpage, and presto, there you are.

Don’t get discouraged going through steps one through four. Repeat them as necessary until you get it right. It IS worth the effort. Let’s see what we all look like.
    Burt

Comment

thanks, Burt...that's too much for me to handle
      \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

It may sound that way, but there’s plenty of room for trial and error. Come on sweetie – what do you have to loose? If you get stuck PM me, maybe I can help you. Honestly, I’m quite a novice about this myself, and my son helped me too, and it was his first attempt at it. I stumbled around for a couple of days before I got it right. (I’m a man – we don’t read instructions unless all else fails.)

If worst comes to worst, get somebody near-by to help you – maybe a friend or the guy at a local computer store. I really would like to ‘see’ you after all. Really, that goes for everybody. Wouldn’t it be great if we could see all our web friends? I was as detailed as I could be with the steps to go through – it got frustrating at times, but it was well worth it when I saw my picture on my postings. (Maybe if I used a touched up photo . . . Hmmm.)
        Burt

Comment

I knew there would be a charming face behind that charming personality Burt!!.
          It really means so much to be able to see your face. That goes for everyone. Eventually I will try to get a pic up too.

Take care
          Pam
          It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Hi Burt!!!! :::::waving excitedly::::: Sure is nice to put a face behind the warm caring man on here.

Dee
            Dee, Mom to Dylan
            (Almost 7 yrs old, HOCM, Endocarditis/Stroke 1/01, Myectomy/Valve Repair 4/04)

Comment

Hey,
              How is Dylan doing these days anyway? Has the family recovered from the ordeal yet?

Listen, you obviously know how to get pictures up on the avatar, how about a current picture of that little rascal, with his keeper in the picture too?

PS Thanks for the flattering words. I know I’m good looking. All I have to do now is convince the rest of the world - - Don’t laugh, a few hundred years ago heavy set women were the ideal. Just go to an Art Gallery and see. There’s hope for me yet.
              Burt

Comment

Tell you what ... Since I will be at the meeting (in 5 days!) with a laptop and a digital camera, I will be happy to help anyone (who wants to) get their picture online as their "avatar". (This reminds me that I too need a current picture uploaded!) Since I run a number of websites, I can probably find space to store the picture as well.

Heck, while I am at it, I guess I will just bring a bunch of computers and set up a booth to allow anyone who is attending the meeting access to this message board! What we could use now is a volunteer (or a group of volunteers) who could take notes and post summaries of the meeting sessions for the benefit of those not able to attend this year.
                Anyone? Anyone?

Look for me outside the meeting rooms at the computer booth if you are interest in posting a message or two ... or having your picture taken for your avatar.

Thanks, Tim
                Thanks, Tim
                Forum Administrator

Comment

Tim...looks like Bill is in good shape with the computers! We will have at least 2 if not more!

..ya know I should update my picture too!

Later!
                  Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

There! I just made it much easier for you to upload an avatar. Simply edit your profile and upload or link to your favorite picture. If you choose to upload, the max size is 80x80.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Thanks, Tim
                    Thanks, Tim
                    Forum Administrator

Comment

Tim,
                      That’s absolutely great – and what a wonderful idea to get the attendees avatar’s posted at the meeting.

And Tim, for those who do not speak computer, could you spell out the directions in simple native terms. Did I hear right? You can just upload an address of your picture without the HTML and website hassle? What a concept.

PS You look pretty good too – nice to see you.
                      Burt

Comment

As my wife will say, I have trouble NOT speaking "computer". However, here is my attempt by taking your instructions and modifying...

To get your picture on your postings....

First, you have to get the picture into your computer. If you have a digital camera or a scanner this part is easy. If not, have a friend do it and email it to you as an attachment. I can also do this at the meeting for you.

Second, (optional) edit the picture to be 80x80 pixels. You can use any digital image editing software to do this. Software should have been supplied with your digital camera or scanner. If you email me the picture, I can do it for you.

Third, (and finally), Go to the HCMA boards and activate ‘Profile’ at the top of the page. At the very bottom of your profile is the Avatar Control Panel with an entry block where you can specify the file name of the picture to upload, and presto, there you are.
                        Thanks, Tim
                        Forum Administrator

Comment

Thanks Tim,
                          That is a BIG help – and it is really nice of you to offer your services to those who still need it like that.

Now come on all you nice people, let’s see what you look like. Boy, this is going to be one classy board. I can hardly wait to see you all. Tim made putting your picture out there a real snap – Sooo, - snap to it.
                          Burt

Comment

Thanks guys, I am gonna get at it later(as soon as I find a pic of myself I like(could take a while)

As far as the meeting goes, I would love to 'read' about what takes place....and pics too. Maybe someday we could 'be 'there' via internet. Hope you all take lots of pictures.

Pam
                            It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                            X