If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adjustable bed

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cynthiaG
    replied
    Re: adjustable bed

pajama party?? I haven't had one since 8th grade! by the way, what is a "heart" pillow"?? can you buy these?? I tried out a Tempurpedic pillow....wow!! fantastic!!

P.S. I have no connection with Tempurpedic. (I sound like a spokesperson)...tried the adjustable mattress and pillows today at a local furniture store....COMFORTABLE BEYOND WORDS !!!! pricey, but worth the investment

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied

Everytime I read these Boards- I feel more & more "Normal". I sleep sitting up More than laying down. On really bad nights (SOB) I sit up with one of those cushions (sort of a halfway up your back from your waist, with a small wrap around) made for reading in bed (from Bed, Bath & Beyond), then I take a small pillow to place behind my head. Since I wake up thruout the night anyway, I prefer to not be gasping for air & upright seems to do the trick. On GOOD nights I sleep with 2 Queen size hard foam pillows & my "Heart Pillow" (from Mayo), under my arm. Another great pillow, in my collection is the Mickey Mouse Head pillow (fits perfectly behind your head, around your neck) from Disney World.
    The PJ Party sound Great! We can bring "Healthy Snacks" & when it's time for Scary Stories, we'll tell Happy Stories!

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

OK, it was Pam. It was still a great idea. Now about the pajama party – no sexy lingerie – it’s not that kind of a pajama party. Husbands, Wives and significant others are invited, but no fooling around in public either.

Do you think we should put the mattress on a hill near a lake so in the morning we could just roll out of bed and go for a swim?
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

Well

Burt I go through my sleep study on the 17th of June, If insurance will pay for it , i don't think i have sleep apnea, but they said they have to rule it out, i still think they did something wrong in surgery, but we'll see and i too have 3 pillows, it is strange how we all have to sleep isn't it

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

LoL. Funny, Burt. It was actually Pam who suggested that though

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

I can’t sleep on my back either, and my stomach is too rounded to sleep face down. Being on my side with pillows to raise my head seems to work best for me. When I have a bout of CHF I do sometimes wake up all congested and gasping for air though. The Doc’s even sent me for sleep apnea testing – but that’s one problem I missed.

Jim said something about getting a group rate on beds. Well how about we all chip in, get one humongous mattress, lay it on the side of a hill, and we all can then sleep on that? One giant pajama party – sounds like fun to me.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Originally posted by marvwaschke
    I always sleep with two pillows, more often three, have for as long as I can remember. I thought it was only my quirky habit... Do we all sleep this way?
    It's still amazing to me all the little things we thought were just our own quirky little habits, then later discovered that they are in some way related to HCM. Sure there are plenty of people who just find two pillows more comfortable, but with HCM it's more often than not a necessity. I've always been a pillow 'folder' myself, although lately i've graduated to two and three pillows, and will still fold the top one in half sometimes. I'm in awe of anyone who can sleep flat on their back, without even one pillow under their head. I'd be gasping for air if i tried to sleep like that!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied

Maybe we could gey a group rate on those beds, probably not.

Leave a comment:

• cynthiaG
    replied

I'll bet if a poll were taken, 99.9% probably use at least 2 pillows

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied

It seems like alot of us HCMers have issues with laying flat. that was just about the only good thing of being in the hospital. I breathed so much easier when sleeping there. I've though about one of those beds myself.

mary s.

Leave a comment:

• marvwaschke
    replied

I am really naive here: why the raised head? What does it do for you? I always sleep with two pillows, more often three, have for as long as I can remember. I thought it was only my quirky habit. I am a terrible sleeper. I have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. Struggle to be asleep by 12:30, up at 5am and half asleep until 7pm is my usual schedule. I never thought to relate it to HCM. Do we all sleep this way? Marv

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

If you’re ‘springing’ for an adjustable bed, make sure you get a good one – with a good mattress. The few extra bucks now will pay dividends for years – and don’t forget the pillows. I found that a good molded foam pillow just lasts and lasts, with the same degree of softness you had on day one. I found a ‘medium firmness’ works best for me. Pleasant dreams dear heart.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• cynthiaG
    replied

that was funny, Burt! you've got that right! talk about pancake pillows! I am going to go looking around at these adjustable beds -- couple of furniture stores in my area...I am guessing they are a little pricy, but well worth the investment! I think Simmons makes one

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

For years now I’ve been using two king sized pillows, and they still work fine for me. I tend to wake up every couple of hours and can’t immediately go back to sleep, but if I get up for an hour (and monitor the boards, etc) I fall asleep again as soon as my head hits the pillows. I usually sleep on my side with my body flat, and my head tilted upwards on those soft fluffy pillows.

When I was in the hospitals (eight times in a year – count them – eight) I’d spend all day with the bed cranked up, but would lower it almost flat when going to sleep. My problem was with those puny little puffs they called pillows. – Did I say puffs? No, felt more like plastic covered bags of turf.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

I would love to have one of those adjustable beds. Not only do you get a great night's sleep, but you get lots of fun little buttons and gadgets to play with too. Woo hoo! (Perhaps it's a guy thing.) Unfortunately, i just finally made the jump from an old and very hard futon to a real bed, so i'm afraid that's about as technologically advanced as i'm going to get for a while

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X