If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance and money

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Colorado213 Wife to husband diagnosed with "a severe case of HOCM" according to Dr. Salcedo at University Colorado Med Hospital HCM Center March to June 2014 I'm the main researcher and planner, so here I am! Mother to 3 young boys who will be tested in the coming months as soon as we get daddy situated. Find out more about Colorado213
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royalspadubai
    replied
    I am very pleased to read this awesome news

Leave a comment:

• Dahilla
    replied
    Thank you for sharing! I really hope that you and your family will be fine!

Leave a comment:

• taha93
    replied
    Well it happened to me a few weeks ago that i insured my house on 10 York Street and after few weeks the building caught an unexpected fire, so i was able to retreive atleast 50% cost of the flat.

Leave a comment:

• gfox42
    replied
    Re: Insurance and money

Yes, a few years ago I was billed for an out-of-network physician. I told the hospital that they had to eat the loss - they knew who my insurer was, they admitted me knowing it, and it's not up to me to vet every doc that comes in the room. I never heard about that bill again.

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• JillC
    replied

One thing I do know to check into is with your own insurance company. Many insurance companies have contracts with in network providers. In these contracts they have an agreed upon price they will pay for a procedure or hospital day rate and part of the contract is that the facility IS NOT ALLOWED, per the contract, to bill back the patient for the difference between the billed rate and the contracted rate. However, many facilities automatically bill you for that difference often inadvertently ......because the bills are generated automatically.
    Also I have heard that many times people are in contracted facilities but seen by non-contracted physicians without knowing it...and receive out of network bills from them . I mean who asks in ICU every doc that comes in the door.... "Are you contracted by my insurance company? If you're not don't come in." I have heard of people appealing that and being successful .....because, like in an emergency they had no choice.
    One other thing I have heard people do is to hire a private group of medical Billers/coders ( sorry I don't have a name) to comb their hospital bills for disallowed charges thus reducing the bills often by hundreds to thousands of dollars.
    Remember almost every provider would rather work with you on a payment plan or bill reduction than send your bill to a collection agency. Because if your bill goes to collections they get back only pennies on the dollar.
    Try to stay unemotional....yes the system is somewhat broken but there are some very good people within the various parts of the system that really want to help you out.
    Wishing you all the best on your journey.
    Last edited by JillC; 09-09-2015, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JMDeetjen
    replied

Had alcohol Ablation at John Hopkins on July 15. And the bills are now coming in fast and furious. Would like to hear from Folks that have appealed, either with insurance co. or the hospital or both? Where u successful and getting a reduction? Did u get the insurance to eventually pay more? and most of all what was your argument to them?

thank you,

jean-max

Leave a comment:

• JillC
    replied

I hear you'! My insurance company has still not settled on the bill from my myectomy at Mayo over a year ago..and I keep getting bills for $60,000.00. The insurance company says don't worry you don't owe that they are just working things out....For over a year? I keep calling Mayo to make sure they aren't sending it to a collection agency and ruining my credit. and now, I just returned from a one year evaluation ( $3,500.00) and I wonder if I'll be going through the same problems over again.
    I am 66 years old and it has taken me all of those years to really figure out how to breathe....and surrender to the Divine and know I'm taken care of. some days I am much better at it than others LOL
    Kathryn Ponder a brilliant minister and teacher in the art of Divine abundance once said " There are no debts in the mind of God" In other words we must be ever mindful of the true currency that flows through our lives.......Love.
    The bills still come... But we don't let them rock our boat. Fear and Love cannot occupy the same space in our hearts So choose to be un afraid
    And yes, Breathing Deeply is a very good option.
    As well as venting
    Last edited by JillC; 09-08-2015, 10:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Colorado213
    started a topic Insurance and money

Insurance and money

Last year we did the gauntlet of HCM treatments for my husband, Justin: testing at three hospitals in three states, ICD, and then Cleveland Clinic for two weeks for myectomy. We depleted our savings but we were able to pay. The thing is, we are still getting bills a year later that really throw me off as we haven't had time to rebuild our savings. I recently took a job (after being a stay at home mom for 10 years) but I do no get paid until next week. Well, today we got an "overpayment bill" from Blue Cross for what looks like Justin's genetic testing at GenX. I'm frustrated, and frankly a little scared. No one tells you that a health crisis like HCM can have such lasting effects financially.

I'm trying to stay calm, but I needed to vent with like minded people. I can't vent to friends as they have no idea. They see justin, who is healthy and happy and think we are "all right." When we are still figuring this HCM out health wise (our boys are always on my mind for having this condition) and financially. Deep breaths.

Thanks for listening!
Working...
X