If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dating with HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lana Partridge 44 year old single mother of three. Have HCM and have had a septal myectomy two years ago. Find out more about Lana Partridge
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating with HCM

Hi there! I have a question. It is hard enough being a single mom of three, but then add in the additional challenge of telling someone you have HCM and they can't get away fast enough, lol. What is the best way to tell your date you have HCM without sending them running?

Re: Dating with HCM

I wouldn't make it an initial point of discussion. As time goes by u can work up to it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M

Comment

Re: Dating with HCM

Ah - welcome to my world! You may have HCM, but your date is also carrying a load you may know nothing about. Maybe prior cancer, a recent death, or ? I found that on the follow up dates where we might be doing something physical (and not necessarily the horizontal mambo) is a good time to gently lead into it - Mention the need to take brief rests on a hike due to a bum ticker. If they ask, give a brief overview - "I have a big heart that I inherited from my dad", is one I use. And its OK not to talk about it - You can say "you'd rather not discuss now, but will when the time is right, Now lets order that chocolate mousse".
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X