If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM Educational Book

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Frosty Find out more about Frosty
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCM Educational Book

Just noticed a new book on HCM at Amazon --

http://www.amazon.com/Hypertrophic-C...7712831&sr=1-1

Although the book is on the pricey side for most and according to Amazon written for the medical professional there is more than likely enough information for the lay person to understand and benefit from.

Re: HCM Educational Book

$150.00......This is the kind of book I wish they had at the local library to review before you buy. I was almost tempted to buy Dr. Barry Marin.s textbook last year for $178.00..... But found enough answers on line, that I didn't invest. However, his book was published in 2004 and this new one was published 2014..... Maybe Santa will get it for me and I can share it with my cardiologist
    After years of symptoms:
    Officially Diagnosed HOCM 2006
    Myectomy 3/11/13 at non-COE
    Extended Myectomy 7/23/14
    At Mayo with Dr. Joseph Dearani

Comment

Interesting. its priced like a college tome and it is focused towards those with a clinical background. I like that Amazon also offers the HCMA book as well a Barry's original book as options! Wonder if anyone's on this site has read it?
      Thanks for the link!
      Marc
      Diagnosed @ 48
      Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
      Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
      AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
      After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
      Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

If you click on "Look Inside" you will see the contributors as well as many excerpts which I was able to understand.

Comment

Thanks - I didn't know that! This can change how I shop for books!
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

Let me tell you how I determine if I would make a purchase. I go into the table of contents and look at who wrote it and is that person someone that I know or are they from a program that is at a COE. When I looked at the names, there were a few I recognized but many that I didn't, so I wanted to know where they were from. There are many contributors who may not be known to me, but are affiliated with a COE when you look at the contributor list. And of course, Dr. Bauchwald is the "godfather of HCM" who did the 1st chapter. I heard him speak at one of the HCM conferences. What a terrific guy !! And in the audience was the 1st patient he diagnosed as having HCM 50 years ago. The 2 reconnected after all those years. A very special moment.

Great book, Dr. Naidu!
            Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
            Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
            ICD 10/08

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
              Just noticed a new book on HCM at Amazon --

http://www.amazon.com/Hypertrophic-C...7712831&sr=1-1

Although the book is on the pricey side for most and according to Amazon written for the medical professional there is more than likely enough information for the lay person to understand and benefit from.
              I just ordered a copy of the book.....will let everyone know once I get my hands on it.

Comment

Well....the book showed up and I am very pleasantly surprised at the level of detail and breadth of coverage of HCM related topics. Yes it costs $150 however, there is more relevant information in it that the half dozen other cardiology and interventional cardiology treatises that I own. The information is quite current, for example, there is extended discussion on resection of papillary muscle and mitral leaflet repairs for SAM reduction. If I were to express a caution to anyone contemplating the purchase of the book that would be that it is NOT written for patients....it is clearly targeted and medical personnel with requisite interest and training in the field. [I certainly struggle with some of the concepts and find myself going back to many of the books from my parent's medical library to fully understand some of the concepts]. In other words, there are parts of the book that for example explain HOW TO PERFORM a myectomy as distinguished from what it is. I am planning on devoting a fair number of evenings reading it to further my own knowledge.

They say photos or it didn't happen. FullSizeRender.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X