If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Small Victories.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Small Victories.

So, the trip with Dr. Maron went well. Looks like I had some arrhythmia issues that I didn't get to discuss and when I spoke with Dr. Link on the phone he seemed distant and distracted so I will need to send Dr. Maron an e-mail to sort it out.

But, Dr. Maron gave me permission to climb the bunker hill monument. I attempted it on Sunday and did it way too fast. Because, we had lunch reservations at the Wayside Inn! I did all 297 steps up and down in about 15 minutes. My heart rate got a little too high as apparent on my interrogation on Monday. It was kinda funny but the monument didn't do me in but the last 21 steps going down the hill to the car I was trying to get a picture but my legs started shaking so bad I barely made it to the car. So, I sat for an hour and when we got to the Wayside in I needed a restroom break. When I was washing my hands my legs started quivering and it was all I could do to make it to the foyer and seating. I hobbled to the table and ate way to much! BTW the lobster mac & cheese is to die for!

So, here it is Wednesday and I am still having terrible pain in my quads and calves. Shouldn't the lactic acid have dispersed by now? I'm so glad I didn't try to attempt that a few years ago I probably would have went into cardiac arrest.

Guess, in life it is the small victories! Can't believe I forgot to take a pic of me conquering it LOL!

Re: The Small Victories.

Mary, that isn't a small victory for you. That's a monumental victory for you! (Yes, pun intended. )
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

That is an awesome accomplishment, maybe next time gooooooo sloooower
      Dx 1995 with non-obstructed HCM, verapamil 120mg
      2004, ICD, battery recall and migration x2 (3 surgeries)
      2007, 26 inappropriate shocks fr. Lead failure, two lead extraction surgeries...(total 8 surgeries in 4 years NO FUN)
      Since 2008, Living without ICD.......
      2011 First chest pains, frequent Began thinking about new ICD,,,,
      10-2014 I'm ready!

Comment

Oh, that will most likely be the only time I do it. The view really wasn't all that I expected. So, now I am thinking of my next goal. I know Dr. Maron said he would love for me to get that last 10lbs off. So, I am going to start working on that starting on Monday (I'm gonna finish off my Spring Break). Since, it will get me to my "ideal" weight it will be a "monumental #" so I am trying to figure out what my reward will be for it. I'm thinking the bluetooth enabled helmet I've been eyeing the past few months. Or do I want to get a new riding jacket since all of my others are getting kinda big.
        From the top

Warning? What warning I'm doing it! LOL!

Comment

So glad you sought a challenge (like school isn't enough) and conquered it! So for that last 10lbs, Why not both rewards?! Instead of a new jacket, have your altered. Money saved might pay for that helmet too.
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

As a motorcycle rider myself I say buy both the jacket and the bluetooth enabled helmet. I just did! I got a new bike too! The nice thing about motorcycling is that you can effortlessly accelerate with a twist of the wrist and go as fast as you want without ever getting out of breath!
            Diagnosed HCM 1998
            Myectomy June 2010
            50 mg Toprol XL

Comment

Amen to that. Yeah I might get my leather suzuki jacket altered I just didn't knew they could do it. I'll have to check in. I don't know what kind of reward I'm gonna get my self for finishing my bachelors

Mary

Comment

Spent 5 years at the US corporate headquarters for Suzuki. Handled race team relations (getting repair parts to obscure locations) Great product.
                Talk to a tailor who does leather alterations.
                Marc
                Diagnosed @ 48
                Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
                Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
                AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
                After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
                Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

My weight has been going nuts! I had to be admitted last week because I couldn't keep food down (maybe my Crohn's) and after not eating for 6 days I had gained 10lbs! What a blow to the psyche that is! Talked with the cardio and he recommended a little green tea (caffinated and an apple) within 24 hours I dropped the 10lbs. It is getting so hard to keep up with the weight!

Mary

Comment

I had to laugh when I saw your post of the warning at the bottom of the monument. I think part of HCM genetics is we (or maybe I should say, some of us) love to ignore the warnings and "go for it. I am very impressed with your accomplishment in climbing it.

I just realized you have the same doctors as me! I would never change them, but there's no one in Orlando? I only ask because I am pretty sure that my cousin in Orlando hasn't followed up on his HCM for years.

Just came back from a motorcycle ride - my jacket has the kevlar insets so it couldn't be altered. If you love your leather jacket, have it altered. But if you don't, my vote is, reward yourself and get a new one!

Keep up the great work; it is inspiring.
                    Susan
                    Diagnosed at age 53 in April 2010 (after having been
                    "cleared" several times)
                    Into running & cycling - cleared to continue at mild to
                    moderate level
                    Extensive family history
                    Lost my mom, aunt and nephew to SCD
                    St. Judes "Fortify VR" ICD implanted 8/30/2010 "Ces't Watt"

Comment

Well,

Some of the ladies on the begginer bikers forum did it for me! I received a new jacket, helmet, and gloves in the mail. They are trying to feminize me! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I got my grades two A's and two B's. This time next year I'll be graduating with the B.S in psychology!
                      Mary

Comment

Think I will update some more small victories I got on the Dean's list in the summer! Yay ME!

The summer has been a bear and physically trying but only a few more days then a couple of weeks off and I cannot wait!

My heart has been someone behaved it does on occasion decide to march to the beat of a different drum and like it's owner can't keep rhythm. Nothing major just tires me out sometimes. I had an echo done last month and my EF was up to 51% almost normal! When dealing with the failure and myocarditis I was down to 35%. How normal is it for your EF to go back up?

Mary

Comment

Congratulations Mary

Comment

Congratulations, Mary!
                            Myectomy on Feb. 5, 2007.

Comment

Great job Mary!
                              Daughter of Father with HCM
                              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Working...
                              X