If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

El Camino de Santiago

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Camino de Santiago

Has anyone here made the pilgrimage in whole or in part?

Specifically I am speaking of the route from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port in France to Santiago de Compostela in Spain.

I realize that this is a small community so the chances are slim, but I would love to hear your experiences if you have done this.

Thanks,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: El Camino de Santiago

Sorry, Jim. I've never heard of it. But it looks interesting!
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I think I'm going to do it... all 650 miles of it... anyone want to join me next year?

Comment

I wish I could, but I really doubt I can get away. My daughter and I would love an adventure like this, though.
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

If it's what I watched on a PBS travel show last month, you have to walk the whole way (and it seems a lot of people do it).You'll wear out a couple of pair of sneakers, I have to get that new heart and collect that lottery winnings that has my name on it, then I'm ready to go!

Hemmingway wrote about it and made Pamplona's running of the bulls world famous in 'The Sun Also Rises'
          Last edited by maztbo; 02-14-2012, 12:47 AM.
          had HCM since birth
          'enlarged heart' identified in 96'
          HOCM dx in 7/08
          Myectomy 8/09
          extended Myectomy 5/10
          'End stage' HCM dx 8/10
          CRT-D implanted 9/10
          evaluated for Transplant 11/10
          Listed for transplant 6/11

Comment

I know it must sound crazy to you all but right now I really need to do something that is difficult, life-affirming, and perhaps even something that I think might kill me. I've spent so many years now worrying about death, I kinda need to do something that if I succeed will prove to me that I won't. Does that make any sense at all? LOL. Perhaps it doesn't but that's just where my mind is right now. I've been interested in doing El Camino de Santiago for some time now, but last year when I watched The Way starring Martin Sheen I just knew I had to do it. It's a good film if you ever have the opportunity to watch it. I love the history of it, the physical challenge of it, and the potential to meet so many new friends along the way.

Comment

Doesn't sound crazy to me!I saw a 'Rick Steve's Europe' episode on PBS that covered El Camino de Santiago,a fantasticlly beautiful journey, but he cheated and did a lot of it by car.I understand the need to excize the worries and frustrations this desease leaves us with,my own personal goal (if and when I get that transplant)is to hike the Appalachia trail up in New Hampshire that I love and miss. Go for it Jim and if circumstance and time would permit I'll do it with you in a 'heartbeat'. LOL
              had HCM since birth
              'enlarged heart' identified in 96'
              HOCM dx in 7/08
              Myectomy 8/09
              extended Myectomy 5/10
              'End stage' HCM dx 8/10
              CRT-D implanted 9/10
              evaluated for Transplant 11/10
              Listed for transplant 6/11

Comment

I applaud your ambition! I've never walked it, but know a priest who has. My husband and I both loved The Way, but reportedly our friend the priest hated it! If you want to ask him questions about El Camino, I can get you in touch with him. I asked my husband about us joining you and his response was, "Maybe someday." It might just be that he's still recuperating from our trip to Europe last summer.

Comment

Guess, that's why I took up riding. Got so tired of NO and since I've kinda gone my own way I got a motorcycle, gone back to school graduate with my BS in Dec, and living life to the fullest. Many people at my church say I seem to enjoy life more than healthy people. Today was kinda funny one of the ladies in my Sunday school class was doing my hair and was telling her about my ride over and said " I saw a guy in a Ferrari today and thought poor guy riding in that overpriced cage on a gorgeous day such as this" She just laughed and said I don't ever think I heard Ferrari and poor guy in the same sentence ever!

Life is 1% what happens to you and 99% how you deal with it! Do what makes you happy even if others think your a little crazy
                  Mary

Mary

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X